Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Should I buy it? 04 C4S with RMS replaced twice

So I'm ready to dive in and purchase a clean 04 C4S with 34k with Bi-xenon, power seats, full leather, and the Bose stereo. It's at a Porsche dealer and is CPO.

I reviewed the CPO inspection sheet and they replaced the battery and four new tires (Continentals). The RMS was replaced after the inspection (11/07). I asked them if it had been replaced before and they checked their records and it was replaced in 9/06 during the 30k service.

Should I be concerned that it has been replaced twice? They said the 11/07 work was with the latest version and they have had a lot of luck with the latest version. Is that right?

The car is a clean one owner car that was serviced at this dealer and drove well.

Any input would be helpful. I'm going back in tomorrow with my trade in to see if we can come to an agreement.

They're asking $57k but I'm hoping to get it for $50-52k.

Edited by RacerC4S

The CPO is nice.

But, there are hundreds of these cars for sale. Try to find one with less issues.

Agree with White that there are a lot of these cars on the market, and many with fewer issues. On the flip side, if you really like this car you can use your RMS concern as leverage to pay 50K (maybe less) for this car and put the $7K in an account for the uncertain event you have another RMS failure after 2 years (when the CPO warranty expires).

Any problem within these 2 years you are covered and I believe you can easily prove the problem unsolvable if you have another leak and try to get them to replace the engine while under warranty (have heard many of these stories)...

Good luck,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can negotiate.

The CPO is swaying me towards the purchase. I plan to trade up in two years so it will be under warranty during my ownership. I just didn't want to have to keep dealing with repairs even if it is under warranty so I was just curious if two replacements indicated more will follow or if the newer seals seem to be working.

So I'm ready to dive in and purchase a clean 04 C4S with 34k with Bi-xenon, power seats, full leather, and the Bose stereo. It's at a Porsche dealer and is CPO.

I reviewed the CPO inspection sheet and they replaced the battery and four new tires (Continentals). The RMS was replaced after the inspection (11/07). I asked them if it had been replaced before and they checked their records and it was replaced in 9/06 during the 30k service.

Should I be concerned that it has been replaced twice? They said the 11/07 work was with the latest version and they have had a lot of luck with the latest version. Is that right?

The car is a clean one owner car that was serviced at this dealer and drove well.

Any input would be helpful. I'm going back in tomorrow with my trade in to see if we can come to an agreement.

RMS problems were rampant until Porsche came out with a new version seal toward the end of 1996, if I recall the date correctly. Prior to then, it wasn't unusual to have seals fail in six months. Since then, there appear to far fewer problems. I would not be bothered by the RMS replacements, but that is just my opinion.

• Admin

RMS problems were rampant until Porsche came out with a new version seal toward the end of 1996, if I recall the date correctly. Prior to then, it wasn't unusual to have seals fail in six months. Since then, there appear to far fewer problems. I would not be bothered by the RMS replacements, but that is just my opinion.

The first 996 production run wasn't until 1998 - so I think you remember the date wrong.

The new seal did not come out until July 2005 (with the introduction of 987 and 997).

The first 996 production run wasn't until 1998 - so I think you remember the date wrong.

The new seal did not come out until July 2005 (with the introduction of 987 and 997).

Living in the past. I thought it was 2006, not 1996 as I typed. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can negotiate.

The CPO is swaying me towards the purchase. I plan to trade up in two years so it will be under warranty during my ownership. I just didn't want to have to keep dealing with repairs even if it is under warranty so I was just curious if two replacements indicated more will follow or if the newer seals seem to be working.

Only concern I would have if I have the story and time line correct from your posts is the car needing a second RMS replaccement when they should have used the "new and improved" seal the first time they replaced back at 30K service. To say a swcond one is needed now with o nly 4k more miles ( even with a CPO) could be a problem when you try and sell it as you reference in few years.

On the other hand, this will give you lots of leverage to work the price hard if you are hard-over to buy this car. If you go for the car, see if you can get some more time added to the CPO and again work that price down to low $50's.

Good luck!! demosan :cheers:

I wouldn't be too worried about the RMS. Given they're replaced it twice and particularly in November 2007, it may be your safest bet. A lot is made of the RMS, but I think in most cases, drivers would never notice it. I think the C4S is the nicest looking 996 IMHO.