Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace Brake Pads on 2000 996

Hey everyone,

Anybody have an idea of what a brake pad replacement should run on 2000 996 Carrera 2? I have gotten a couple quotes around $500 (seems high to me)

I know it probably an easy DIY...but i live in a condo and dont really have the tools to swing it - any recommendations on brand i should try to get? Also, should I go to the dealer for this or do you think its ok to hit up a "brake place"

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Anybody have an idea of what a brake pad replacement should run on 2000 996 Carrera 2? I have gotten a couple quotes around $500 (seems high to me)

I know it probably an easy DIY...but i live in a condo and dont really have the tools to swing it - any recommendations on brand i should try to get? Also, should I go to the dealer for this or do you think its ok to hit up a "brake place"

Thanks!

Have you joined the Porsche Club of America?

I am sure there are a lot of people in your area that would help you out with a small job like this.

and

The tools required are very basic.

Jack you already have one in your trunk and all the tools to remove the wheels.

Just need a punch for the pin and rag so you don't scuff the caliper and large plyers.

All tools you could buy at BigLots for under $20. Make that $10.

Order the pads from Sunset Imports.. http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php

All for less than 1/2 of your $500 quote.

And this includes all pads sensors and springs.

This is a very easy job.

I did all 4 wheels in my own garage in 2hours 20 minutes including a nice cup of tea!

You don't need any special tools - although a palette knife is handy to help get the squeal plate free as they are sticky. I reused everything apart from pads of course and paid about £120 for new pads in the UK.

A brake bleeding kit is handy because you can just use it to cover the reservoir in case any fluid overflows as you push the pistons back. It really is a doddle (that's english for very simple).

There are pictures and DIY guides all over Pistonheads just do a search or email Loren.

Have a go you'll feel great and save lots of cash.

Orlandoguy1 What part of Orlando? If you want to drive to Sebring on April 12 to a Chin Motorsports event. We can do the pad replacement in a few minutes.

Orlando guy....i just saw this as well. If you are close to Daytona Beach come on over. We can do them in my garage.

Bring a six pack!