Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Main Display Gone (VERY) Dim - 2004 Turbo - HELP

I just finished installing my TPMS (see next post) and then my stupid main display went (VERY) dim. Well, a few days later. At first I thought it was out, but then I could see it still was displaying the information...it was just very dim. Has anyone had to deal with this? Does this require a whole new display or is there a bulb to replace (I hope so)? The entire dash was out a month or so ago when the dealer was trying to track down another issue.

Lastly, is it difficult to replace this unit?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!! :rolleyes:

Matt

Edited by AVIA8R

The power for your TPMS may be puling the voltage down, did you hook up to the fuse box or tap an existing circuit.

I just finished installing my TPMS (see next post) and then my stupid main display went (VERY) dim. Well, a few days later. At first I thought it was out, but then I could see it still was displaying the information...it was just very dim. Has anyone had to deal with this? Does this require a whole new display or is there a bulb to replace (I hope so)? The entire dash was out a month or so ago when the dealer was trying to track down another issue.

Lastly, is it difficult to replace this unit?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!! :rolleyes:

Matt

Edited by mudman2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I sent the whole instrument cluster to a repair shop and they found that the flourescent lamps that light the LCD display had gone bad and could not be repaired/replaced. I've ordered a Porsche Remanufactured unit from Sunset (about $1,400) and will have the local dealer down-load the data (milage, etc) from the old unit and up to the new unit. It's suppose to take about 30 minutes. I will then reassumble the dash. All and all, it's going to cost me about $1,500 total. Oh well, what can you do. <_<

So, if you display goes dark just save time and evergy and buy a new unit.

Matt

• 5 weeks later...
UPDATE: I sent the whole instrument cluster to a repair shop and they found that the flourescent lamps that light the LCD display had gone bad and could not be repaired/replaced. I've ordered a Porsche Remanufactured unit from Sunset (about $1,400) and will have the local dealer down-load the data (milage, etc) from the old unit and up to the new unit. It's suppose to take about 30 minutes. I will then reassumble the dash. All and all, it's going to cost me about $1,500 total. Oh well, what can you do. <_<

Matt

That price is steep! How much are you saving by getting the remanufactured cluster? I am thinking of getting a new cluster too because the front display is noticeably dimmer than usual, not sure why because everything is stock (untouched so far!), and the clear plastic cover is scratched too.

Edited by vtturbo

• 1 month later...

Matt

That price is steep! How much are you saving by getting the remanufactured cluster? I am thinking of getting a new cluster too because the front display is noticeably dimmer than usual, not sure why because everything is stock (untouched so far!), and the clear plastic cover is scratched too.

$1,500 is for a Porsche OEM remanufactured unit purchased from Sunset Porsche and not an aftermarket or non-Porsche reman unit. It was like brand new and is backed by the standard Porsche warrenty. You could buy a new one for about $500 more but I don't know any advantage.

Situations like this that end up costing people $1500 really irritate me. Why would Porsche design instrument cluster lighting with a limited life that couldn't be easily changed? In my 99, it just has small lightbulbs to backlight the LCD displays. I think a new bulb was $1.50. I believe the new units have LED backlighting, which should have an incredibly long life with low energy draw, but isn't apparently living up to its reputation. The ridiculous thing is, those LEDs cost about 10 cents a piece. Yet, they're not "serviceable," because neither the average guy on the street nor a car mechanic has the knowledge or skills to pull out the board and solder in new lights.

Porsche makes $1500 off you selling you a remanufactured unit. Then they take your unit, replace maybe $2 in parts, resolder a few connections, turn around and make another $1500.

That's nothing but bad engineering and bad customer service.