Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dropping 996 Engine

Hi everybody. I'm replacing my 3.4 engine and have taken out all of the stuff underneath the engine. Seems a lot of room to be able to drop without the trans. Any of you guys dropped this engine only without the tranny? I know the conventional way is to remove with the trans, but would save a lot of time if the motor can be dropped by itself. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I'd also be very interested in this since I believe that my oil separator went bad and it's on the very top of the motor. It would be awesome to learn how to safely drop the motor out of the cradle since some items clearly are accessed better that way - like the coolant tank that I paid someone to do. Can any of the RMS, clutch, or motor replacement. I'd love to learn where to unscrew and what I had better support.

Any masters want to give us a little help?

Thanks!

Tonger

• Moderators

If your car is equipped with a manual gearbox, let the engine in place and remove the gearbox. You can easy replace all the items you mention in your post.

• 6 months later...

Not withstanding the advice above, I want to remove the engine. I have the shop manual for the 996 with good instructions, but am not sure how high I need to jack up the car to have enough clearance for the engine tranny combo to be safely removed. My estimate is that I need at least 1 m / 3 ft.

I have a set of four heavy duty (12 ton) jackstands, but they will only go up about 2 ft. Any suggestions?

Rgds, Joost

There is a link to some pics of an engine sitting on a low jack under the rear bumper of a 996. I think it had the gbox attached. It didn't look very high. The car was on normal jackstands at the rear jack points.

The topic was something about release levers. I'll see if I can find it.

Make sure you take into account how low your jack will go.

I have my car up on stands right now to change the clutch. I think I had 23" of clearance below the trans, buy my trans jack sits 8" min. So there was no way to get it out from under the car with out taking it off the jack. I just left it under the car and rolled it back far enough to work.

Edited by Foster

I was thinking this was it, but the pic must be in another thread.

http://www.webbspot.com/porsche/index.html

After thinking about it, and looking at mine. I'm not sure it's even possible to drop the engine without at least moving transmission forward.

When you seperate them you need to move them apart 3-6 inches to clear the flywheel and pressure plate.

You may even need to remove the flywheel and pressure plate to clear the cross member.

I don't think you could move the engine back that far. And really all you have to do extra to drop the trans is;

Pop off the shift cables.

Take 2 bolts off slave cylinder

4 plastic nuts of under panel.

2 bolts out of trans mount.

6 bolts out of bracket.

It sounds like alot but they are all easy to reach except the the slave bolts.

Now that I've done it once I could probably do it again in an hour.

You might need another jack, but the gbox isn't heavy. I could probably lift it up over my head.

I would seperate them and then drop both individually.

I highly recomend a 2 foot extension and universal for the upper trans to engine bolts. Put it up over the top of the trans and the bolts come right out.

Edited by Foster

• 2 years later...