Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Importing a Certified pre Owned car from US to Canada

Hi guys,

Thanks for provoding tons of reading and advice while I waited ever so patiently for my 05 Boxster to make it to Vancouver from Houston! :renntech:

I was quite comfortable with my purchase from Down South knowing there was a CPO warranty attached to the vehicle, and that the CPO warranty is valid in both the US and Canada - makes the decision to move something across the border that much easier. Imagine my surprise when, on stopping by the local dealer to get some overpriced touchup paint that they want to 'inspect' my vehicle to 'baseline' it prior to 'honouring the CPO warranty'. I called and emailed PCNA who informed me, over the phone, that they had heard about some Canadian Independent dealers wanting to perform this inspection, but that it would in no way cause any challenges with the remaining CPO warranty. The inspection, which I was told takes a full day to complete, checks things like 'ensure the right transmission is associated with the vehilcle' and 'verify that the vehicle has never gone into an over-rev situation'. I wasn't actually provided with a checklist of what they would check.

In response to my email I received this: "Your warranty is a North American warranty and is valid throughout North America, if your local authorized Porsche dealer requires an inspection then the warranty will be valid once that inspection is completed. " which basically is saying that my North American warranty might not be valid without an additional inspection. :huh: The problem I have with an additional inspection being required is what if this inspection turns up something that wasn't found during the CPO inspection - will this obviate the existing warranty? If it doesn't impact the CPO warranty at all I can't see a reason for the additional inspection. If it does impact the warranty why did I pay extra for a vehicle with a CPO warranty that was valid in both the USA and Canada? At any rate this is a bit confusing - if anyone had pointers or suggestions, including a good person or team to contact within PCNA (not faultingt he people who answer the phone, but so far all I've got are apologies for not knowing the answers) I would be ever so appreciative.

Cheers, Craig

PS - here is a pic of the vehicle near the Kicking Horse Pass region of the Canadian Rocky Mountains - if anyone is looking for a good drive I'd recommend this one - weekly if possible :)

post-29500-1209496935_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for provoding tons of reading and advice while I waited ever so patiently for my 05 Boxster to make it to Vancouver from Houston! :renntech:

I was quite comfortable with my purchase from Down South knowing there was a CPO warranty attached to the vehicle, and that the CPO warranty is valid in both the US and Canada - makes the decision to move something across the border that much easier. Imagine my surprise when, on stopping by the local dealer to get some overpriced touchup paint that they want to 'inspect' my vehicle to 'baseline' it prior to 'honouring the CPO warranty'. I called and emailed PCNA who informed me, over the phone, that they had heard about some Canadian Independent dealers wanting to perform this inspection, but that it would in no way cause any challenges with the remaining CPO warranty. The inspection, which I was told takes a full day to complete, checks things like 'ensure the right transmission is associated with the vehilcle' and 'verify that the vehicle has never gone into an over-rev situation'. I wasn't actually provided with a checklist of what they would check.

In response to my email I received this: "Your warranty is a North American warranty and is valid throughout North America, if your local authorized Porsche dealer requires an inspection then the warranty will be valid once that inspection is completed. " which basically is saying that my North American warranty might not be valid without an additional inspection. :huh: The problem I have with an additional inspection being required is what if this inspection turns up something that wasn't found during the CPO inspection - will this obviate the existing warranty? If it doesn't impact the CPO warranty at all I can't see a reason for the additional inspection. If it does impact the warranty why did I pay extra for a vehicle with a CPO warranty that was valid in both the USA and Canada? At any rate this is a bit confusing - if anyone had pointers or suggestions, including a good person or team to contact within PCNA (not faultingt he people who answer the phone, but so far all I've got are apologies for not knowing the answers) I would be ever so appreciative.

Cheers, Craig

PS - here is a pic of the vehicle near the Kicking Horse Pass region of the Canadian Rocky Mountains - if anyone is looking for a good drive I'd recommend this one - weekly if possible :)

Craig:

Contact "ABE EVRENS" through his e-mail on PPBB.COM. He recently went through the process and actually wrote up a comprehensive "how-to" on this very topic.

Regards, Maurice.

Craig:

Contact "ABE EVRENS" through his e-mail on PPBB.COM. He recently went through the process and actually wrote up a comprehensive "how-to" on this very topic.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the pointer - I can never seem to find posts on PPBB, so emailed Abe directly (all us Canadians know each others email addresses ;) His direct thoughts are 'CPO is CPO, and if your local dealer is asking for more they are being p****s'. Now if I can just get someone from PCNA to say the same thing instead of waffling about like civil servants I'll be off to the races...

Cheers,

Craig

Sounds as if they want to double check that the US vehicle conforms to Canadian PCW parameters after it crosses the border and to get an easy cash grab. There are variances between dealerships to a certain extent as each dealership is independently owned and operated. That is why PNA has only so much jurisdiction - they want to help you, but clearly understand that the dealers sell their cars. Their loyalty to which party is obvious. The dealers will probably require an additional DME download to confirm that the vehicle has not been "abused" and that the ECU has not been tampered with. It appears that Canada does not want to import US cars due to pricing discrepancies and this is a political issue that other manufacturers also have to deal with. In some instances, certain US vehicles I understand are denied entry outright.

A dealer in the US may or may not know the exact criteria another dealer in Canada may require to validate a PCW and vice versa. If they do tell you they know, but you are denied coverage, you know who to go back to - unfortunately you will be in a different country trying to commence an action. Thus, it is always caveat emptor especially when purchasing a vehicle abroad.

Now that the deal is done, you have to play ball with the local P dealer. I would suggest that if you intend to use that dealer, play ball, otherwise go to another and try your luck there. Most urban areas have more than one dealer within a predetermined working area. Hopefully some of your confusion is alleviated. There apparently is the unfortunate possibility that you may have paid for a PCW that may not be enforceable. But think positive and you may be happy in the end.

Good luck and enjoy your Pcar when you get it! :)

Thanks egs - appreciate the feedback. I've been leaning along that way myself - I want to get something from PCNA that says they will honour the CPO 'valid in North America' warranty regardless of what the local dealer says (the only dealer within a 3 hour drive), but in the interests of 'playing ball' I might give them the 'minor service' checklist and say this is what they can do, and anything else they do is at their own cost and expense - which should be fair enough for them and doesn't get me paying for fluff that they just wanna do...

I drove the car back from Vancouver last Wed/Thurs - have had the car for almost a week now - what a great car! It's almost due for another trip across the Rockies just for the twisties and the smell of the trees with the roof down :)

Sounds as if they want to double check that the US vehicle conforms to Canadian PCW parameters after it crosses the border and to get an easy cash grab. There are variances between dealerships to a certain extent as each dealership is independently owned and operated. That is why PNA has only so much jurisdiction - they want to help you, but clearly understand that the dealers sell their cars. Their loyalty to which party is obvious. The dealers will probably require an additional DME download to confirm that the vehicle has not been "abused" and that the ECU has not been tampered with. It appears that Canada does not want to import US cars due to pricing discrepancies and this is a political issue that other manufacturers also have to deal with. In some instances, certain US vehicles I understand are denied entry outright.

A dealer in the US may or may not know the exact criteria another dealer in Canada may require to validate a PCW and vice versa. If they do tell you they know, but you are denied coverage, you know who to go back to - unfortunately you will be in a different country trying to commence an action. Thus, it is always caveat emptor especially when purchasing a vehicle abroad.

Now that the deal is done, you have to play ball with the local P dealer. I would suggest that if you intend to use that dealer, play ball, otherwise go to another and try your luck there. Most urban areas have more than one dealer within a predetermined working area. Hopefully some of your confusion is alleviated. There apparently is the unfortunate possibility that you may have paid for a PCW that may not be enforceable. But think positive and you may be happy in the end.

Good luck and enjoy your Pcar when you get it! :)

• Moderators

This kind of stuff has been going on for a long time. Canadian dealers were not honoring the factory warranty on imported vehicles. Then Porsche forced them to. So now they are still giving owners a hard time by this inspection thing. The Canadian dealers want you to buy from them.

A North American warrany is a North American warranty. I think Canada is still part of North America....

It's definitely a bit of a pain. PCNA hasn't responded to the last question as yet, but I think I have a plan... I am going to work out whats been serviced recently, combine that with the CPO warranty inspection, and the local dealership can perform whatever inspections are outstanding to complete the 40k mile service. Having said that does anyone know how one might be able to escalate a call into '1-800-POR-SCHE, Option 3' beyond the first level call answerer? So far they keep apologizing profusely and telling me that someone will be in touch, but so far this 'someone' person has been quiet...

I do have to get an 'out of province' inspection performed, but am having that done at a local shop who will also replace the brake fluid prior to next weeks 'advanced driving school' weekend - the first with the new wheels - I'm giddy as a schoolgirl (a 6'3" schoolgirl with a beard :) )

I also received, in todays mail, a 'Welcome to PCNA with your CPO vehicle' welcome kit - a shiny new chrome keyring and a luggage tag, as well as a joint Porsche/AutoCheck Assured Warranty for 'buyback protection'. Wonder if this will help keep the local dealership sated?

North America, in PCNA terms, doesn't include Mexico, but Canada is certainly listed.

Cheers,

Craig

This kind of stuff has been going on for a long time. Canadian dealers were not honoring the factory warranty on imported vehicles. Then Porsche forced them to. So now they are still giving owners a hard time by this inspection thing. The Canadian dealers want you to buy from them.

A North American warrany is a North American warranty. I think Canada is still part of North America....

Edited by fokinel