Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch problems

Hello

I have a problem with the clutch on my 2003 986S. It still has the original clutch ans has just completed 32000 miles. It has a relatively easy life. I changed the front brake pads about 4 weeks ago and bled the front brakes while I was doing this. I left the rear brakes until I have new pads to fit and can do the bleed at the same time. Car is used occasionally and has been fine. This is the first time anything has been changed on the car except for oil and filters. Brakes working ok etc.

So yesterday I let a friend try driving my Porsche. He seemed to be having trouble with the clutch which annoyed me but I put this down to him being an idiot.

I went to drive the car afterwards and as soon as I got in I noticed the clutch pedal was soft compared to normal. Also the bite point was very low to the floor and the car juddered when trying to move off from stationary. Also it is difficult to engage 1st and reverse as if the clutch is not disengaging properly.

I called him immediately and he claimed the pedal action had not changed so it was like this when he backed it out of my garage. I had used the car last about a week before and it was working fine when I left it. No fluid on garage floor etc.

I posted a message on the UK based Boxa forum and it was suggested I bleed the clutch. I have now done this with pressure bleeder and an assistant holding pedal down for 30 seconds and then moving pedal up and down smoothly for 60 seconds.

This has made no difference. Pedal is still soft, clutch action not correct and reverse and first gear still stiff.

Any suggestions please fire away.

Thanks in advance,

ATM

• Moderators

I don't no what the intention was to bleed the front brakes only and a couple of weeks later the rest of it, the best is to bleed the complete hydraulic system in one move to be sure to have fresh fluid in the system, this besides. I think you have a problem a) still air bubbles in the clutch hydraulic system - bleed again B) one or both clutch hydraulic pumps sucks air - check and replace c) cracked pressure plate - disc will easily slip on full throttle, low RPM, in highest gear.

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys just in case anyone is interested I have changed the clutch now. When we removed the old one it had a crack in it. Rather than try to describe this I have a pic of it instead. Hopefully you can spot this without me adding a big yellow arrow.

124zlu0.jpg

• 8 months later...
I don't no what the intention was to bleed the front brakes only and a couple of weeks later the rest of it, the best is to bleed the complete hydraulic system in one move to be sure to have fresh fluid in the system, this besides. I think you have a problem a) still air bubbles in the clutch hydraulic system - bleed again B) one or both clutch hydraulic pumps sucks air - check and replace c) cracked pressure plate - disc will easily slip on full throttle, low RPM, in highest gear.

I am getting ready to change my clutch on my '01 S . . . . . same thing this guy is describing but a few months ago, while driving, I had a sudden change of clutch pedal feeling and it has just gotten worse ever since. Now, it slips under medium to heavy load and when in a high gear . . . . really annoying!!! I think I will find something with the pressure plate has gone bad (i.e. cracked) especially since there was a sudden change.

same thing this guy is describing but a few months ago, while driving, I had a sudden change of clutch pedal feeling and it has just gotten worse ever since. Now, it slips under medium to heavy load and when in a high gear . . . . really annoying!!!

That is not the same problem. The original problem description here was that the clutch wasn't properly disengaging. That sounds to me like a problem with the hydraulics and from the picture, it doesn't look like the crack could cause that symptom.

Your issue is that the clutch is not properly engaging, which could be a worn clutch.

same thing this guy is describing but a few months ago, while driving, I had a sudden change of clutch pedal feeling and it has just gotten worse ever since. Now, it slips under medium to heavy load and when in a high gear . . . . really annoying!!!

That is not the same problem. The original problem description here was that the clutch wasn't properly disengaging. That sounds to me like a problem with the hydraulics and from the picture, it doesn't look like the crack could cause that symptom.

Your issue is that the clutch is not properly engaging, which could be a worn clutch.

I meant that I was having the same soft pedal, low bite as the original poster... I got my pressure plate off and I have a crack just like he showed in the picture...