Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am planning to lower my 2004 996 and while doing research I found some data showing that the 02-04’s are about a half inch higher than the 99 – 01 models. Please see the PCA article “996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed”. I confirmed this by taking measurements of my 04 and a friend’s 99. Both have stock standard (non-m030) suspension, same O.D. tires, etc. The 04 was 27/26.6in front/rear and the 99 was 26.5/26.23. Next we removed the wheels and took dimensions of the front strut and did not find any differences. The only difference was the markings on the springs. Both were blue and brown on the bottom but the 99 has white on the top and the 04 was blue. Therefore we concluded the difference in height was only due to the springs.

Eibach and H&R offer only one p/n for the 996 and advertise lowering by 1.0” and 1.25”, respectively. Since there were no dimensional differences between the 99 and 04 front struts, I assume that the fender heights of the 99-01 and 02-04 models will be the same after installing any of these aftermarket springs.

I thought it would be helpful and interesting to get some replies of height data, model year and suspension type.

2004 996 C2 Coupe 6sp Standard Suspension – 27 inch front / 26.6 rear

2002 C2 Coupe 26.5F/26.375R stock w/18" Carrera II's & newish Sumitomo HRZII tires

perryinva, would you mind checking the color coding on your front springs? There are two markings at the bottom and one at the top.

thanks

... The 04 was 27/26.6in front/rear and the 99 was 26.5/26.23. ...

FWIW, my 2002 measures at 26-7/16 & 26-1/4 with 18" wheels, 225/40 CSC2 on front and 295/30 Kumho Ecsta SPT on rear. This is measured at the wheel opening just above the high point of the tire. It is an October 2001 build so it may have settled more on the springs. It has the stock suspension. The springs are front: blue+brown/blue, rear: brown+brown/white.

2002 C2 Coupe 26.5F/26.375R stock w/18" Carrera II's & newish Sumitomo HRZII tires

perryinva, would you mind checking the color coding on your front springs? There are two markings at the bottom and one at the top.

thanks

I will, funny you should ask that, because I just painted my rotors and while I was at it, I cleaned the springs, perches, etc, and noticed the color splotches on the springs! i just don't remember what the colors are at the moment, tho! Just checked...brown & blue on the bottom, brown on top.

Edited by perryinva

cyclo...what are the last 5 digits of your vin? I'm trying to nail down my build date, as my sticker is missing...removed by a PO. I think mine is 22222.

They are 20360. The actual production date for my car is 29AUG01. Check your dealer service invoices. When I took my car to the dealer for some work the computer spit out the production date.

I am planning to lower my 2004 996 and while doing research I found some data showing that the 02-04’s are about a half inch higher than the 99 – 01 models. Please see the PCA article “996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed”. I confirmed this by taking measurements of my 04 and a friend’s 99. Both have stock standard (non-m030) suspension, same O.D. tires, etc. The 04 was 27/26.6in front/rear and the 99 was 26.5/26.23. Next we removed the wheels and took dimensions of the front strut and did not find any differences. The only difference was the markings on the springs. Both were blue and brown on the bottom but the 99 has white on the top and the 04 was blue. Therefore we concluded the difference in height was only due to the springs.

Eibach and H&R offer only one p/n for the 996 and advertise lowering by 1.0” and 1.25”, respectively. Since there were no dimensional differences between the 99 and 04 front struts, I assume that the fender heights of the 99-01 and 02-04 models will be the same after installing any of these aftermarket springs.

I thought it would be helpful and interesting to get some replies of height data, model year and suspension type.

My 99 996 C2 measures 26 3/8" up front and 26 1/8" rear with factory 18" wheels, nearly new Conti's. and US M030 suspension. The US version retains the stock ride height and I had no change after the swap (except much better handling). This is as low as I want to go since I scrape the concrete apron of my driveway unless I approach at an angle.

My 99 996 C2 measures 26 3/8" up front and 26 1/8" rear with factory 18" wheels, nearly new Conti's. and US M030 suspension. The US version retains the stock ride height and I had no change after the swap (except much better handling). This is as low as I want to go since I scrape the concrete apron of my driveway unless I approach at an angle.

Where did you buy the US M030 and how much was it? I'm in Richmond.

MY 99 C2 Cab 18" wheels 26.5f/26r standard suspension. I asked a similar question recently and Loren replied that whatever suspension setup you use will result in the advertised ride height. That being said, most of the advertisements I see just say how much it will lower the car. I'm not sure what the "true" ride height of my car was prior to settling and aging shocks.