Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've been driving with no airbags for four years!

I've had a 'double-beep' fault for sometime and wanted to get an error scan performed by someone other than Porsche. Found a fellow who was a master technician with Porsche for 30 years-so I went to see him. I pull up to his garage hidden amongst old heritage biuldings. To my delight all I could see was Porsche's- a boxter getting a new gearbox, a guards red targa carrera, a 944, two 964's- so I'm thinking this looks good. He, Carlos, immediately diagnosed the double-beep as the bracket on the oddments tray was broken-so he replaced it with a metal one- I then asked him to run a scan- so he pulls out the 'Porsche Diagnostic Tester' . To get to the point- it came up with with what he called 'F21' error, which he immediately said was the clock spring- it was 'broken' he said.( Yet I 've never heard any squeaking when turning as others have reported here)-in addition, and here's the clanger- the airbag warning light doesn't come on( I was completely oblivious to this BTW but he checked in front of me and lo and behold it doesn't come on at all). Carlos speculated that when the airbag originally came on, indicating, he says, a broken clock spring, whomever simply removed the airbag warning light bulb- but very disturbingly Carlos said:" If you were involved in major accident the airbags would not have deployed". "What?" I said incredulously( actually in my mind another two words were attached to what...). Sorry for the length people, but is this feasible? What does the clock spring have to do with the airbags?

He's convinced I need a new clock spring, but I just don't know how he can so quickly come to this conclusion. What think ye? :help:

Jason

• Moderators

I don't believe removing the bulb woul prevent the air bag from firing. Same if the bulb burned out.

The "clock spring" goes by different names. You need to provide an electrical connection to the back of the air bag and to the steering wheel for the horn. If wires were used they would twist and could fail over time by turning the steering wheel. So the clockspring was invented.

post-4-1210247089_thumb.jpg

I think the munro86 is surmising that the previous owner experienced an airbag MIL, probably caused by a malfunctioning clockspring; in turn, the bulb was removed to perform a "repair." What Perry said. --Brian

Edited by Q-Ship986

• Moderators

I spoke to one of the mechanics but he was in school and did not know off the top of his head what 21 was. He did say he has replaced a few clock springs. If it goes bad then it is the same as if you disconnected the connector on the back of the air bag, which means an air bag light, and which means the air bag will not fire.