Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just replaced series resistor for radiator fan - hints

I just replaced the radiator fan series resistor on the drivers side yesterday. Got the part for $58.24 at Sunset + S&H. On a 2002 requires removal of the front fender liner, 2 torx and 4 push rivets. I had removed my front bumper cover to clean the radiators, but it is not required to if you just want to replace the resistor. You do have to cut the black & green wires going to the fan, but the other end is a connector. The cut & solder is easy if you've done it before. I use heavy duty heatshrink over the repair. Remember to slide the heatshrink on BEFORE you do the soldering..(sigh).....I found taking off the connector was the real PITA. You have to squeeze both sides of the OTHER half of the connector that is attached to the car wiring harness and pull IT off..the connector half that is attached to the series resistors stays attached to the car!! (the opposite of what you'd assume) For the life of me I could not get that connector off the boss holding it in place, even though by studying the new connector I knew how it should detach. I finally gave it a hard enough yank and the old connector mounting tab broke off, but the boss left on the car was still fine. It is very tight and hard to see where the connector is attached, you are working by feel & inferred sight. I was easily able to slide the new connector back onto the boss, where it clicked into place, and then reconnect the wiring harness half back o it. I used dielectric (bulb grease) grease (just a dab on the pins and connector edge) before I put it all back together. Fan worked perfect with AC on after the repair....This may be a stupid question, but since I just spent 4 hours removing my front bumper cover, and drivers side fender liner to replace the series resistor and clean out the radiators and I was wondering ..why does the bad resistor prevent the fan from operating at high speed..I thought it was only needed to drop the voltage for low speed fan run? It's moot because everything works great now but just curious.

Edited by perryinva

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why did you remove the front bumper? That is not necessary for this job. If you pull back the wheel well lining you can get at the connector and access to the resistor itself is from underneath (even with the bumper in place).

Why did you remove the front bumper? That is not necessary for this job. If you pull back the wheel well lining you can get at the connector and access to the resistor itself is from underneath (even with the bumper in place).

Didn't Perry just say: " I had removed my front bumper cover to clean the radiators, but it is not required to if you just want to replace the resistor."???

As i understand it if faulty it prevents it from running at low speed. The fan runs at low speed (which is not that much of a slower speed than when on high speed) with A/C on (fans turn off when A/C turned off). Runs at high speed if water temp becomes greater than around 215 or if A/C high side pressure is greater than 1.6 bar.

A resistor (Reeves $110) replacement did not solve the problem on my driver's side fan (which did run at all). Passenger's side fan worked at both speeds.

I am thinking about cleaning between the rads. So bumper cover comes off next...

Regards,

Edited by BReyes