Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster won't start...sometimes

First things first, thanks ALL for the tips on my last post (coil pack on #6). Now new week, new issue. Had this problem about 3 years ago, then recently about once a monthly, now every time I gas up and go to start the car it spins but will not start unless I hold the gas pedal to the floor. It also runs like s*** for a minute or so then clears up (like the computer resets itself). Then I am fine until the next fill up. I initially thought fuel pump but that would not explain the fix from pressing the gas pedal. I replace the fuel filter with every oil change and run Techron religiously. New MAF recentyl. Full tune up recently. No CEL's. Fuel pressure reg?

Any ideas guys? :o

2000 Boxster

2.7 E-gas

60K on new engine

Edited by uabchris

Get your fault codes read you could have pending codes.

Have you checked your ignition switch?

Loren,

No pending fault codes and replaced the ignition about a year ago. I read on a past post where the dealer advised to hold the pedal while starting as I described, and it resolved the problem. Does this reset something? Being e-gas, do I have some type of electrical problem that is related to the pedal operation? It is funny this only occurs at fill up after removing and repacing the gas cap.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Idle valve maybe? I would take a look at the throttle body, check for oil and carbon, clean it out, and take the opportinity to check the idle valve (if e-gas cars have one). Be careful with the paper gasket. Clean the idle valve with MAF or throttle body clearer and accuate the valve when cleaning. Just be care becuase its a pricey little thing. Could just be bad gas, or water in the tank. Also check oil fill cap, and consider replacing gas cap. Just brainstorming.

No Idle Control Valve on egas cars.

It would not hurt to clean the throttle body but that is not likely the starting problem.

What did you use to check the fault codes?

Just cleaned the entire throttle body with MAF cleaner during tune up. I used a standard OBD-II scanner to pull the codes. Still driving daily and no problems except at fill up. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Any other info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Chris