Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing evaporator on AC system

Hi

I need to change a leaking condenser. The air con is still working and so the leak is very minor. Would I usually need to change the evaporator as well and if so how do I do this? (I will DIY the condenser and get the system regassed)

• Moderators

There is no need to replace the evaporator when no leaks are detected, you have to remove the entire dashboard to change the evaporator. It is recommended to change the dryer-receiver at the same time with the condenser(s).

Hi

I need to change a leaking condenser. The air con is still working and so the leak is very minor. Would I usually need to change the evaporator as well and if so how do I do this? (I will DIY the condenser and get the system regassed)

I assume you are aware that you have two condensers.

Hi

I assume you are aware that you have two condensers.

If the system is empty, once you fix the leak, the drier needs to be changed and it also recommended to change the expansion valve. You need to flush the system, and pull a vacuum before filling to dry the system out.

There is no need to replace the evaporator when no leaks are detected, you have to remove the entire dashboard to change the evaporator. It is recommended to change the dryer-receiver at the same time with the condenser(s).

Thanks. How is the dryer receiver accessed to be changed (where is it located).

I only have one condensor leaking. Its not too bad either as it is only stained and the air con is working efficiently.

Hi

OBD II, Not sure how you have determined you have a bad condenser, but if you go to a generic AC shop they will usually put dye into your system and then use a ultravilolet lite to see where the dye has leaked out t odetermine which component or connection is "bad". In the P-car system, it logically is likely that one of the condensers has a leak as they are vunerable to road debris build-up that can cause some corrosion or possibly a rock damaging the condenser coil. If you already have gone thru the dye check routine to determine the leaky condenser, then you are well on your way to avoid replacing parts that may be OK. There are often time neopreme o-rings in the threaded connections that can also go bad and are a lot cheaper to replace than the condenser or other discreet components ( dryer, etc.).

Good luck with your diagnosis and repair. demosan :cheers:

Hi

OBD II, Not sure how you have determined you have a bad condenser, but if you go to a generic AC shop they will usually put dye into your system and then use a ultravilolet lite to see where the dye has leaked out t odetermine which component or connection is "bad". In the P-car system, it logically is likely that one of the condensers has a leak as they are vunerable to road debris build-up that can cause some corrosion or possibly a rock damaging the condenser coil. If you already have gone thru the dye check routine to determine the leaky condenser, then you are well on your way to avoid replacing parts that may be OK. There are often time neopreme o-rings in the threaded connections that can also go bad and are a lot cheaper to replace than the condenser or other discreet components ( dryer, etc.).

do

Thanks

At the last service in Dec 07. the Porsche dealer reported that a condenser was leaking. I have only just bought the car and the air con works very well. The only thing I saw on one condenser is that it is stained. I am surprised that the AC is still working if it has been leaking for so long. So I dont really know if there is a leak. However I want to get a warranty on the car and this necessiates a 111 point check. I would need to get anything repaired immediately at full OPC prices and am therefore trying to fix anything that they would otherwise pick up. So if I still have working air con, when I change the condenser I will loose all the refrigirent. I was going to get it regassed from a KWIK FIT. Do all shops automatically do all the vaccing out of the system or is that something I need to request?

Thanks

Hi

do

Thanks

At the last service in Dec 07. the Porsche dealer reported that a condenser was leaking. I have only just bought the car and the air con works very well. The only thing I saw on one condenser is that it is stained. I am surprised that the AC is still working if it has been leaking for so long. So I dont really know if there is a leak. However I want to get a warranty on the car and this necessiates a 111 point check. I would need to get anything repaired immediately at full OPC prices and am therefore trying to fix anything that they would otherwise pick up. So if I still have working air con, when I change the condenser I will loose all the refrigirent. I was going to get it regassed from a KWIK FIT. Do all shops automatically do all the vaccing out of the system or is that something I need to request?

Thanks

Here in the US, it is mandatory that the AC center evacuate the system before doing any work. Not sure in the UK, but would guess the same process would apply.Then if repair is made, they need to pull vacume again before regassing the system with refridgerant. As I mentioned earlier, it might be to your advantage to pay for a diagnostic dye to be added to your system to validate what is really wrong ( if anything). the "stain" your reference on one condenser may not be a leak at all. Most car dealers here in the US use AC shops to do this type of work rather than do it themselves as it requires special equipment and licensing. On the optimistic side, you may not have any leak at all if the AC still works fine and the dye check would be well worth the money as it will provide you with the exact problem ( if any) and documentation you could share with the P dealer in getting your warranty.

Demosan

Hi

do

Thanks

Thanks

When the system is operating the refrigerant within the condensor(s) is under a fairly high pressure so I would be surprised if you actually have a leak and yet the A/C is still functional over a reasonably long period of time.

Hi

do

Thanks

Thanks

When the system is operating the refrigerant within the condensor(s) is under a fairly high pressure so I would be surprised if you actually have a leak and yet the A/C is still functional over a reasonably long period of time.

I've had another look at it. The condenser has a greasy greenish stain over about half of it. Its quite 'oily'. Thought it could be coolant from the radiator but its definately not leaking coolant and there is no coolant smell. Checked the AC again and thats working fine.

Hi

do

Thanks

Thanks

I've had another look at it. The condenser has a greasy greenish stain over about half of it. Its quite 'oily'. Thought it could be coolant from the radiator but its definately not leaking coolant and there is no coolant smell. Checked the AC again and thats working fine.

This might be a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may apply. I would leave it alone if the AC is working fine and you don't have any coolant leaking either. I recently cleaned my radiator/condensor area by removing the front bumper and actually found a dead bird trapped between the condensor and radiator on one side in my C4S. Because the grills are so large, it appears it is easy for just about anything as far as road debris to get collected there, i.e. so getting a stain of some sort may mean nothing is wrong.

demosan

Hi

do

Thanks

Thanks

This might be a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may apply. I would leave it alone if the AC is working fine and you don't have any coolant leaking either. I recently cleaned my radiator/condensor area by removing the front bumper and actually found a dead bird trapped between the condensor and radiator on one side in my C4S. Because the grills are so large, it appears it is easy for just about anything as far as road debris to get collected there, i.e. so getting a stain of some sort may mean nothing is wrong.

demosan

The oil you see is the lubricating oil from the AC system. If you have oil on the condenser then you have a leak. Refrigerant oil has a way of spreading far and wide. AC systems will continue to pump out cold air even if they are down on refrigerant. This can continue for quite a while then the refrigerant level drops to far and you won't get any cooling. On some syetems a low refrigerant level will cause the evaporator coil to freeze solid. If you feel like checking things yourself you can mix up a bit of dish soap and water and brush it on the connections while the system is running to see if you have any leaks at connections (eliminating the O-ring possibility). All AC shops will pull a vacuum on the system before recharging it.

Good luck with this.

Before replacing the condensor, look at all the connections to the condensor. Referigerent oil is a thin viscosity oil, much like mineral oil, and it migrates pretty well.

Thanks

The oil is no where near the unions. Instead it has been spreading from the bottom of the condenser. I am now 100% it is leaking and have decided to go DIY by removing the bumper - installing an OE part that I have sourced - and having it gassed and checked for other leaks.. Looks like it has been puncutured by something as the other condenser is mint...