Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thicker Steering Wheel - Part Number

Sorry to waste everyone's tome and space on this Board with my Steering wheel problem, but does anyone have the Porsche part # for the "Thicker Steering Wheel"? Not the "Sport Wheel", that's what my 997 Carrera C4S came with.

My Dealer can't seem to get it right and ordered the "Sport Wheel" for me - it's exactly what I now have. I'm having a difficult time trying to convince them of the difference, in spite of pictures, measurements, etc. Incredible, especially for a wheel that costs $1K plus. I would have done better buying a couple of hookers!

Thanks guys.

Ed

Perhaps you want the 997 GT3 RS steering wheel?

Loren:

Thanks for the reply. The wheel I'm interested in is listed as an option by Porsche (XPA, I think) and is designated "Thicker Steering Wheel".

Attached is a picture showing the difference between "Sport" and "Thicker".

Ed

post-30807-1211588620_thumb.jpg

Are you sitting down?

US MSRP $1916.65

Loren:

Thanks again, but that's not the correct part number. That's the number that was on the box the new wheel came in, but it's the regular "sport wheel", same as the one that originally came with the car. Unless, of course, the "sport wheel" is actually the "Thicker" wheel and the one in the box was incorrectly packed.

I'm attaching a pix of the label on the box and any further info you can dig up would be of help.

Thanks. Ed

post-30807-1211602253_thumb.jpg

post-30807-1211602352_thumb.jpg

They still call it "Sports Steering Wheel".

Here it is in the parts list.

post-1-1211604361_thumb.png

Loren:

Maybe we've finally gotten to the bottom of this.

If you're certain about the part number, what apparently happened is that they put a regular C4S wheel in the wrong box. All of the C4S' on the floor have this wheel and none of the stickers say "Sport Wheel Option", so this new one and mine must be the "standard" C4S wheel.

I measured my original wheel and the one in the box and they're both 9.5mm in circumference, top and bottom. (and about 11mm at the 3/9 o'clock bolsters) Not "thick".

I'll check further with the Dealer next week and post my results. Thanks for all of your assistance.

By the way, you're right about the MSRP, it's outrageous.

Ed

The techart option seems reasonable by comparison on a cost basis , though this would only be the case if your original wheel was retrimmed. I looked high and low for the thicker padded wheel in the PET catalogue and couldn't find it anywhere , even under tequipment. Even the local dealer suggested it's an "exclusive pack" option and therefore not stocked or available as a spare part. How would you go about ordering one of these , where are you getting the part number from loren ?

The techart option seems reasonable by comparison on a cost basis , though this would only be the case if your original wheel was retrimmed. I looked high and low for the thicker padded wheel in the PET catalogue and couldn't find it anywhere , even under tequipment. Even the local dealer suggested it's an "exclusive pack" option and therefore not stocked or available as a spare part. How would you go about ordering one of these , where are you getting the part number from loren ?

2007 Carrera Buyers Guide, XPA option. Pix attached.

Ed

post-30807-1211771735_thumb.jpg

Edited by ENK1

And my image from the parts list also show option XPA (IXPA).

So, either the parts list is wrong or they gave you the wrong part.

Here's "The Rest of the Story" - After checking with Porsche NA, measuring both the original wheel steering wheel and the new "thicker" wheel a zillion times and checking a new C4S on the Dealer's floor with the XPA option, I actually did, in fact, get the XPA option "thicker" wheel. The thicker wheel is only about 1.5cm thicker in circumference with softer leather and believe me, really not worth the extra cost. If I had known, I would have opted for the Porsche authorized Techart thicker wheel!

Thanks to all of you for your help and sorry for wasting Forum space with this nonsense.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 bits - I also went through a similar conundrum for my Boxster S, and after the whole excercise realised that a thicker steering wheel actually reduces steering sensitivity & feel, which these cars are so known for! It then dawned on me why Porsche, a company which spends thousand of hours honing in the most insignificant part, wouldn't give us a thicker (or smaller diameter for that matter) steering wheel! It could also answer your confusion why the "thicker" steering wheel is actually not that much thicker.

(Luckily I didn't spend any money to find this out - just wrapped my old squash racket torna overgrip around my steering wheel and drove it for a few miles and got my revelation!)

Try it out and see if you get the same results!

Cheers, Arshad

An interesting method to "try before you buy" but i think its a little flawed to be honest. Personally i found the standard wheel a little thin to hold , especially when your hands are dry or its cold. Everyone is different , so depending on the span of your hand the benefits will vary. In my case I much prefer the thicker wheel and having a VW and a Porsche as a regular drive, I much prefer the VW wheel to the porsche standard item. Interestingly you do not need to increase the girth of the wheel significantly to feel a benefit and increased grip. The XPA girth is on a par with the VW sport wheel which feels about right. The reason for the extra padding being limited by Porsche has more to do with the process of the modification than the benefits I suggest. It is easier to add a layer of overpadding than it is to re profile the wheel , for this reason the Porsche mod is just a retrim. The techart option is a definite re profile with limited padding , this retains the original feedback and feel of the thinner wheel , whilst giving the benefits of better grip. I beleive porsche would prefer buyers to spec a sports wheel if they feel they need a thicker wheel , unfortunately if you also require MFW controls the only option currently is to spec XPA option or a techart as the sport wheel doesnt have this capability. This has now been addressed on the new 997 facelift , since the sport wheel can now be specced with multi function controls.

If the wheel is over padded for your hand span then it can become clumsy to hold the wheel when your hands are crossed or you are holding the top or bottom of the wheel. Maybe living in Dubai (warm weather) and possibly having an average hand span did not give you a benefit from your mod. The squash padding may also have been overpadding for your requirements.

Edited by berty987

I ordered an XPA stone gray wheel from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Their price was MUCH better than your dealer (as usual)....less than $1300 (no air bag). I know it is a small change in thickness, but after feeling XPA wheels on other cars, I think it feels much richer than the plastic feeling standard sport wheel on my Targa.

I know it is a small change in thickness, but after feeling XPA wheels on other cars, I think it feels much richer than the plastic feeling standard sport wheel on my Targa.
I totally agree.

I just bought an '08 Carrera S Coupe [Meteor Gray Metallic/Black Leather] yesterday and it came with the XPA option.

Edited by MelsM3

• 8 months later...

I just called Sunset Porsche and they couldn't find the part number for the Thicker Multi-function Steering Wheel that I'm interested in ordering.

Has anyone here ordered this steering wheel after the fact? And if so, do you know what the part number is?

Or can anyone assist in trying to locate the correct part number?

TIA

• Admin
I just called Sunset Porsche and they couldn't find the part number for the Thicker Multi-function Steering Wheel that I'm interested in ordering.

Has anyone here ordered this steering wheel after the fact? And if so, do you know what the part number is?

TIA

Please state the exact model, year and transmission type for the steering wheel that you want.

Thanks.

TIA

Please state the exact model, year and transmission type for the steering wheel that you want.

Thanks.

Oh hi, Loren. :)

Yeah, it's for my '05 997S, manual, in Stone Grey. I have the standard Multi-function Steering Wheel that was the only option available when I ordered the car. Since then, a thicker rim version of that wheel has been available when spec-ing a car for order. I'd like to order one and swap my standard out and replace with the thicker one, using all the trim, air bag, & components from the old.

TIA

• Admin

TIA

Thanks.

Oh hi, Loren. :)

Yeah, it's for my '05 997S, manual, in Stone Grey. I have the standard Multi-function Steering Wheel that was the only option available when I ordered the car. Since then, a thicker rim version of that wheel has been available when spec-ing a car for order. I'd like to order one and swap my standard out and replace with the thicker one, using all the trim, air bag, & components from the old.

TIA

997.347.980.00.B24 Sports steering wheel in stone grey (option XPA, 480) -- US MSRP $2013.33

That looks like it might be the part number for the Sports Steering Wheel - the one with the round hub.

I think the Multi-function Steering Wheel had as an option code, 431. And the thicker version, Code CPA.

I'll need to verify.

Edited by OCBen

Thanks again, but that looks like the code for the "Thicker 3-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather."

I'm fairly certain that the Multi-function Steering Wheel (the one with the triangular hub) is different from the Sports Steering Wheel, which has the circular hub. I don't believe they are interchangeable. I could be wrong.