Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Problem - What did I do Now!

Hey there,

Okay, I did a dumb thing to start with - I took the cab through the automated car wash (I don't know what got into me!) - okay then... I did another dumb thing!

As I was coming out and leaving the car wash, I did the "auto top down" sequence (care of a SmartTop unit since she's a 2000) and started to drive away.

Okay, I did a third dumb thing and went over 45 km/h (which I'm usually pretty good about going slow when the top is doing its thing) and of course it stopped mid sequence.

I pulled over and tried to finish getting the top down and it made a funny noise (some clicking) and wouldn't completely close.

I put the top back up to get her home and now it won't even start the "top down" sequence - the flashing light on the dash is doing it's warning dance...

What have I done this time!

Please and thanks as always....

It felt like a 5 minute major - but when it stopped raining here this afternoon, I tried it again and it worked just the way it should (weird).

Almost like it was a bad dream.....

Thanks and Have a Good Weekend!

Spoke too soon on the magical repair!

I got in for my Sunday drive just now and went to put the top down - from the compartment it makes a distinct on/off click noise (2 clicks) and then the dash flashes 3 quick times and then off for the cabrio light.

Any suggestions would be most apprectiated!

Please and thanks....

It sounds like an intermittent problem. First check the connection of the SmartTop module (I assume you know how to get to it). It sometimes becomes loose. make sure there is a velcro strap holding it in tight. If that is not it, then call Wilhelmy (it may need to be replaced).

Will do - I'l keep my fingers crossed that the module is indeed the issue - my only problem now (and I had a quick look through the forums - maybe not a good enough look though) is how to take the top down manually if the power is not working.

Would love some direction (or a point in the right direction!)

Please and thanks - as usual!

Instructions should be in the manual, but basically there is a hex socket in one of the hard top mount holes that you can insert the hard top wrench in to to lower the hard top.

Simon

Okay, I took apart the back seat panel and took out the clamshell opening hex key. I opened the hatch, unplugged the wires for the top, and got at the Smarttop module.

I removed it and put it back together and tested the top.

It worked completely to the point of the clamshell still being opened (which I figured was due to my manually opening it)

I lowered the clamshell with the hex key to the point of it "looking" closed.

When I cycled the top again it still wouldn't function properly so I thought that maybe it had to be "fine tuned".

I got back in there and turned the hex key about a quarter turn and it closed completely - but now the threads felt stripped! (it felt like it had no resistance now - when prior it needed a little jam to get it turning)

I turned the bolt to remove it and hopefully get a look at the damage - and it came out without any strange marks on it at all...

Any clue as to what might be going on?

The top doesn't cycle through completely now and I think it might be time for a service call......

Please help if possible.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...