Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 911 Carrera Dual Mass Fly wheel

I had mine resurfaced about a month ago together with a clutch/pressureplate R+R and it ended up out of balance, resulting in severe shaking above 3.5-4K rpm. I replaced it with a lightweight flywheel. Very happy now.

I guess it very much depends on the capabilities of the machine shop that's doing the work. Assuming labor on pulling the transmission again if it turns out the DMF is out of balance, is more than the cost of a new flywheel (especially a good LFWF like AASCO's for $800 bucks), I would not take my chances when faced with the question again.

Joost

• Moderators

I do not know any local dealerships that have this done. They have to get your car in and out and off the rack, and it is faster to put in a new one. Plus they like putting in new parts as it is less likely they will see your car again for the same thing.

I had my Boxster clutch with 67,000 miles replaced last week at an independent shop run by a mechanic who use to work at dealerships. I checked the flywheel and it looked fine other than the typical heat checking. The disc was not down to the rivets on the flywheel side so the flywheel was not scored. He asked if I wanted it resurfaced, or to put in a new one. or to reuse it as is. He did not tell me there could be problems if I had it resurfaced. I had medium clutch chatter, so if I did not replace or resurface the flywheel and if the chatter was still there after the clutch replacement - "then he told me so."

I had it reused as is and just the disc and pressure plate were replaced. Clutch works fine.

Mechanic was also replacing the clutch on a C4S. The flywheel looked like mine, but the owner elected to have a new flywheel. That is the second picture, of a new flywheel.

post-4-1212531395_thumb.jpg

post-4-1212531665_thumb.jpg

I want to thank you folks for the information. I let them "cut" the flywheel. I did not have much choice. It is a warranty job, I bought the car from a high end reseller, and they would not guarantee it unless the flywheel was resurfaced. I will report back when I get the car back.

• Moderators
Hi,

I knew you would clean yours if you had a chance. Looks

easy to clean once the flywheel is off. Did you replace

the throw out bearing?

Paul

Do you know Marvin Weitz? I did not replace the clutch, Marvin did.

Here is the bell housing of my Boxster transmission after it was removed. He cleaned it....

He put in a clutch kit. The kit includes the disc, pressure plate, and release bearing. Sorry, but I forgot to mention the replacement of the bearing.

post-4-1212630241_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The name sounds familer put I cannot put the face with the name. I

am glad you replaced the release bearing. It is one of the things I always

recommend when you remove the motor.

Paul

Hi,

I knew you would clean yours if you had a chance. Looks

easy to clean once the flywheel is off. Did you replace

the throw out bearing?

Paul

Do you know Marvin Weitz?

Here is the bell housing of my Boxster transmission. He cleaned it....

He put in a clutch kit. The kit includes the disc, pressure plate, and release bearing. I forgot to mention the replacement of the bearing.

I am sorry to have missed Marvin. I just hang with the slow crowd on the east coast at Watkins Glenn, Pocono, Lime Rock, Bridghampton, VIR, Mosport, Shenendoah and Mid Ohio.

Now to address my original question about cutting a dual mass flywheel; I got the car back today with a new clutch pack, RMS, ISS and the throw out bearing arm update. It appears that I am one of the lucky ones that got away with resurfacing the fly wheel. With the caveat of only 50 miles on it I am very happy with the clutch feel and lack of any noticeable imbalance induced vibration.

Thank You all for your input. Please give my best to Marvin

Frank

I'd be interested to find out which shop did the work resurfacing your DMF, in case I need to put mine back some time in the future.'

Joost

Joost,

It was P&W somewhere near Morristown NJ. The indy Shade Tree Garage in Morristown has worked with them for "many years".

Frank