Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Silly questions

Silly questions I know but they puzzle me, Why does the HVAC spell manual as manuell? and looking at my wheels they seem not to be handed, what I mean is the design seems to point one way on the NS and the other on the OS, does that make sense? ie the tapped part of the spoke.

Silly questions I know but they puzzle me, Why does the HVAC spell manual as manuell? and looking at my wheels they seem not to be handed, what I mean is the design seems to point one way on the NS and the other on the OS, does that make sense? ie the tapped part of the spoke.

since the 'manuell' question has been answered... on to your other question.

with regard to your wheels, what 'design' are you speaking of - the wheel center caps with the Porsche crest? i don't know what the 'tapped part of the spoke' means. but i'm trying. ;)

i'm also assuming that NS = near side and OS = other side. ?

as for your wheels being 'handed', the front *wheels* can be swapped between each other (right or left side of car), as can the rear *wheels*. it all depends on the direction arrow of the rotational tires. if you look on your tires, there will be an arrow (hopefully) facing in the forward direction. this is the direction in which the tires are designed to be run.

so while you can swap WHEELS side-to-side before tires are installed, you shouldn't swap WHEELS w/TIRES. also, the back wheels are larger/wider than the front wheels, so you wouldn't ever want to swap front-to-rear or vice-versa.

i'm still not sure if i understood the question. :rolleyes:

Sorry Chris I was assuming we spoke the same language, (I'm from the UK where we speak English.......only kidding) OS = OFF side ie not the drivers side. I'm really trying not to get too anal about this wheel thing but it basically boils down to the fact that the slots in the wheels are not symetrical. I'm going to try to put a pic on to show what I mean, but please don't anybody expend too much energy over this.

Hi Chris, lesson in English number 2, NS = near side, side nearest to the curb. Of course you know a hood is a bonnet and a trunk is a boot, a stick shift is a manual, a windshield is a windscreen, lifters are cam followers, parting out is breaking, mufflers are silencers, track control arms are wish bones, all perfectly logical !!!

http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/tghair1811

Batteries are accumulators; flashlights are torches; fenders are wings; tires are tyres (close enough)

Bill

former XK-150 and XKE owner

Edited by whall

• Moderators

That wheel is not handed. There is not a left or right side wheel. The spokes appear to go forward on one side of the car, and backwards on the other side.

Every few years someone on the message boards will notice this and ask the same question. So you are an observant person. I am going to put you in charge of trivia since you also noticed the MANUELL thing....

Hi Chris, lesson in English number 2, NS = near side, side nearest to the curb. Of course you know a hood is a bonnet and a trunk is a boot, a stick shift is a manual, a windshield is a windscreen, lifters are cam followers, parting out is breaking, mufflers are silencers, track control arms are wish bones, all perfectly logical !!!

http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/tghair1811

ok, i see you have the 'Boxster Design' wheels. i have those, too. i've never really noticed the wheels' non-symmetrical-ness (that's 'Murcan lesson #2 - you can just 'conjure' words as needed). :lol:

my favorite 'English' auto term is 'prang'. i'd use it more often but 'Murcans wouldn't understand it and I'd probably be shot. ;)