Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 center console part #

1999 Carrera C2 3.4

I'm looking to replace my center console. I found one for a good price but want to make sure it is the correct part.

The part number that is for sale is 996.552.125.02 D5

Can anyone tell me if this will fit my car?

Thanks,

Phillipj

Yes, but the part number should end in D05 which is the color code - granite grey

If you order a new center console, you will need the console compartment hinge fix kit. The old center consoles had the hinge part as molded into the center console. The new ones do not and require the metal hinge fix kit to be installed. The kit contains a metal hinge that gets riveted to the plastic console, rivets, and rivet backing plates.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=POTE996IN

Edited by KevinMac

Another great alternative is always the BIRD Armrest...<http://www.birdautomotive.com/996.htm>. I didn't say it was cheap, but it looks killer and I've heard great things about it. I intend to put it in soon.

I have the Bird armrest and really like it. I was in Connecticut last Christmas, gave Bird Automotive a call and met Sam Bird. Because of the price, I wanted to see it before I bought it. It is made very well, fits and looks like it was an original installation. It adds a drink holder which works well. Only comment is the drink holder is a little short so don't plan on putting any really tall cups in it. My interior is black so it was an easy match but even the texture of the leather is the same as the interior.

He also makes a bicycle rack for the back of the vehicle that attaches underneath.

Dave T

99 Carerra

Another great alternative is always the BIRD Armrest...<http://www.birdautomotive.com/996.htm>. I didn't say it was cheap, but it looks killer and I've heard great things about it. I intend to put it in soon.

I have the Bird armrest and really like it. I was in Connecticut last Christmas, gave Bird Automotive a call and met Sam Bird. Because of the price, I wanted to see it before I bought it. It is made very well, fits and looks like it was an original installation. It adds a drink holder which works well. Only comment is the drink holder is a little short so don't plan on putting any really tall cups in it. My interior is black so it was an easy match but even the texture of the leather is the same as the interior.

He also makes a bicycle rack for the back of the vehicle that attaches underneath.

Dave T

99 Carerra

Doesn't the Bird arm rest still use some of the components of the base armrest, if so he still needs to use the hinge rivet kit.

Dave T

99 Carerra

Doesn't the Bird arm rest still use some of the components of the base armrest, if so he still needs to use the hinge rivet kit.

The armrest has a new hinge. The lid is the same but you install new components for the hinge.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "hinge rivet kit".

• Admin

Dave T

99 Carerra

The armrest has a new hinge. The lid is the same but you install new components for the hinge.

See the TSB for fixing the center console hinge...

Dave T

99 Carerra

For clarity I have include pictures of the console. It does not use the old center hinge or require teh hinge rivet kit.

The console as it looks in the closed position:

post-17498-1214271155_thumb.jpg

The hinge assembly:

post-17498-1214271276_thumb.jpg

The only two things that could be improved, the cheap eye hook for the lock and the cabinet magnet that holds the lid closed. BOth work well but just are not up to par with the rest of the components.

post-17498-1214271427_thumb.jpg

Dave T

99 Carerra

For clarity I have include pictures of the console. It does not use the old center hinge or require the hinge rivet kit.

The console as it looks in the closed position:

post-17498-1214271155_thumb.jpg

The hinge assembly:

post-17498-1214271276_thumb.jpg

The only two things that could be improved, the cheap eye hook for the lock and the cabinet magnet that holds the lid closed. Both work well but just are not up to par with the rest of the components.

post-17498-1214271427_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Dave T