Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Powerkit X51 on FL 997

Does anyone know on the basis of reliable information when the FL997 will be available with the X51 powerkit.

It features on the price lists but the timing is vague.

I wouldn't want to order and then find out that this option is available soon after.

Thanks!

Your dealership should know when they accept the order. They can't enter the option code if it is not available. They would know within days if Germany kicks the order out.

What does "FL997" mean?

The order can be accepted with code X51(there is a price for it on the system) but there is an indication that availability is not immediate.

FL= facelifted.

I know dealerships in the Chicago area can add the X51 powerkit on the 997 after delivery. They say it is the same as factory, same power, same warranty...for about $5,000 less.

It involves extensive work including changing the cylinder heads, camshafts etc. It is not an ECU and filter thing, I wouldn't like this type of jobs to be done on a retrofit basis. I'de rather wait and get it factory fitted.

It involves extensive work including changing the cylinder heads, camshafts etc. It is not an ECU and filter thing, I wouldn't like this type of jobs to be done on a retrofit basis. I'de rather wait and get it factory fitted.

I agree with you, but it is another option. Plus, I never suggested it was "just an ECU (proper term is DME) and filter thing".

The dealership does the following:

carbon fibre air filter housing

revised, race tuned camshaft & cylinder heads

different exhaust manifold

Sport exhaust

Factory warranty

381 HP

306 lb/ft torque

4.4 0-60

$18,699

I agree with you, but it is another option. Plus, I never suggested it was "just an ECU (proper term is DME) and filter thing".

Sport exhaust

Factory warranty

381 HP

306 lb/ft torque

4.4 0-60

$18,699

Thank you for the information!

• Moderators

The face lift 997 is equipped with a Direct Fuel Injection unit, it is possible that the X 51 power kit is something for later on.

Sport exhaust

Factory warranty

381 HP

306 lb/ft torque

4.4 0-60

$18,699

The x51 doesn't use new camshafts.It re-uses the old ones.

Johnson, I think you may be incorrect. The information I have clearly states:

"...plus revised, race-tuned camshafts and cylinder heads..."

This is directly from a bruchure I received from a Porsche dealership.

• Admin

Johnson, I think you may be incorrect. The information I have clearly states:

"...plus revised, race-tuned camshafts and cylinder heads..."

This is directly from a bruchure I received from a Porsche dealership.

Have a look at TSB 7/05 1001 Performance Increase Kit Installation Instructions (l No. X51) -- dated Apr 12, 2007

No mention of camshaft changes.

The 996 X51 used different camshafts. Perhaps the very early 997's got a camshaft change - but now they all use the same camshafts.

Thanks, Loren. Then I stand corrected. Or the brochure does! :o

What is the date on the brochure? (I am sure Porsche reserves the right to change anything they fell like... LOL).

I was looking for that about 3 posts ago. Nothing really is printed on it. It looks like a mailing that was sent out to owners in the area.

Does anyone know on the basis of reliable information when the FL997 will be available with the X51 powerkit.

It features on the price lists but the timing is vague.

I wouldn't want to order and then find out that this option is available soon after.

Thanks!

I doubt X51 will be available on MY2009 997 C2S anytime soon. In previous MYs the X51 package added 26HP to 381HP. Adding 25HP to the DFI C2S would put it within a few HP of the GT3. I would guess that DFI will be added to the GT3 before X51 becomes available on the new 997.

$18,000 is a lot of money for 26 additional hp. I think that I would pass on that offer.

That's the price to play! The factory option is about $24,000. Many people spend about $1,000 per HP on mods all the time with questional results.

Sport exhaust

Factory warranty

381 HP

306 lb/ft torque

4.4 0-60

$18,699

I have the X51 retrofitted because it wasn't available in January to February of 2006 due, according to the dealer, to the fact that Porsche ran out of kits because they were allocated for the Club Coupé. I have had ZERO issues with the retrofit!

By the way, there are NO camshafts in the kit - the old ones get reused. The kit comes with throttle body, carbon fiber airbox, cylinder heads, aluminum intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and a third radiator for the center of the front bumper. There are NO camshafts in the 997 kit. There were, though, camshafts for the 996 car. This caused a lot of confusion at the beginning because on the 997 brochure I had read that it also came with camshafts... it was that the brochure did not have the updated information for the 997 series. I have with me the actual technical printout that the dealer used for the installation with every single part that is included in the kit and the camshafts are not part of it.

I hope this clarifies and puts an end to the debate since I am an actual X51 retrofit buyer and was there when the kit arrived and went frequently while it was being installed. The mechanic at my dealer had done a few 996s and a 997 before he did mine, so I felt confident. Besides, the full warranty is in place.

By the way, I ended up paying $13,000 for it including installation. I think I actually saved money as opposed to having gotten it from the factory.

Edited by cibergypsy

• 14 years later...
On 6/22/2008 at 8:34 AM, cibergypsy said:

I have the X51 retrofitted because it wasn't available in January to February of 2006 due, according to the dealer, to the fact that Porsche ran out of kits because they were allocated for the Club Coupé. I have had ZERO issues with the retrofit!

By the way, there are NO camshafts in the kit - the old ones get reused. The kit comes with throttle body, carbon fiber airbox, cylinder heads, aluminum intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and a third radiator for the center of the front bumper. There are NO camshafts in the 997 kit. There were, though, camshafts for the 996 car. This caused a lot of confusion at the beginning because on the 997 brochure I had read that it also came with camshafts... it was that the brochure did not have the updated information for the 997 series. I have with me the actual technical printout that the dealer used for the installation with every single part that is included in the kit and the camshafts are not part of it.

I hope this clarifies and puts an end to the debate since I am an actual X51 retrofit buyer and was there when the kit arrived and went frequently while it was being installed. The mechanic at my dealer had done a few 996s and a 997 before he did mine, so I felt confident. Besides, the full warranty is in place.

By the way, I ended up paying $13,000 for it including installation. I think I actually saved money as opposed to having gotten it from the factory.

Do you happen to still have the technical printout? The kits are no longer available but the individual components are and I would like to source my own X51 kit for my 997.1 Targa 4S