Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front Bumper Cover fix vs replace

Gang,

Here's some nice pics of some cosmetic. . .uh. . .highlights I put on my '99 Boxster 2.5. Hope I'm uploading these right.

Put the scratch on after 1 week of ownership. Almost committed suicide.

post-5014-1214179279_thumb.jpg

Put the hole in about a year ago. Curse you, trailer hitch!

post-5014-1214179295_thumb.jpg

Question is this: Can a body shop repair these things, or should I just replace the cover and the butterflies beneath? If I need to replace, can I just order them, remove the old stuff, and put the new stuff on with standard tools? Is there some kind of "finishing work" that shops do to get stuff the right color and finish that I won't be able to do at home?

Thanks as always,

masterbm

If you don't want the cost of replacing the entire cover, a shop can fill that and repaint it. I would guess that it would be about $500 to have a shop pull the bumper and repaint it.

As far as ordering one yourself, I'm sure it's not too complicated, but the pros know all the little tricks to get the best fitment. Also, I don't know that they come painted.

as a automotive professional i would take it to a body shop and have them fix it.

not more than $400 or so.

you might need to replace that black lip at the bottom , not so sure by the pic

Edited by sc00ter18

I'm surprised by the low estimates. I checked for a simple chip repair and respray of the front bumper and I was quoted $1200. I would like to know who does it - well - for less in the SF Bay Area.

One word...Porsche. call first and say you got a VW something...crop the Porsche out of your pic and show it. Or dress way down, don't wash your car, through some burger king bags around inside, lie about the year, little stuble goes a long way to. Spin a sob story.

I had my rear bumper done (much worse than yours) for about $400.Don't know about up there but here theres mobile bumper repair rigs all over the place, Just had both my Lexus bumpers done over by a mobile guy for $500. Go to a good detail shop/carwash and they probably have some recomendatins.

Regards, PK

I'm sure its definitely more expensive when you have a "Porsche", but the problem is to get a quote, you have to take it to them to view. Most bodyshops (here in the UK anyway) want to see the car. So what do you do?? I could do with a 'refurb' on the rear bumper after someone 'grazed' the side of the bumper. Small cheap looking body shop wanted £470 (approx $900). If i went to the 'approved Porsche' place, add another couple of hundred Dollars on! Even "Chipsaway" wanted $400 and thats without removing the bumper and just spraying the bumper with an average job and their 'special paint'.

You may save a few quid if you remove the bumper and take it to them and put it back yourself. Pretty easy to do. The only thing, the match may be not too good if they dont have a comparison??

When I got back into town with my new to me Boxster a few months back I was fortunate enough to get the first door ding at the BMV while inside. The Dent Doctor who took care of it recommended another guy for a prior paint blemmish the car had already had when I asked him. I saw the work the guy does for the local high end dealerships right on their lots, it was unbelievable and reasonable, good luck.

Just shop around and get some various quotes. I got rear-ended by a drunk at stoplight last October, so my rear bumper cover had to be removed and repainted. It was $565.

Don't forget, it you want to customize you can always shop around for Turbo-style front bumpers and whatnot. You could have one of those painted to match and installed instead.