Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Supercharged, Need Smog check in O.C. California ?

Has any body had a modded engine/car smogged in Orange County Ca. lately? Had a good experience? If so, where and, how did you pull it off ( lame or lazy tech?)?

My car sniffs clean but there is no way it will pass a visual. From underneath you could mistake the supercharger for something else. From up top though, the plumbing just would not compute.

Please post or PM if you like (don't want to blow anyones cover) with any leads.

Regards

Has any body had a modded engine/car smogged in Orange County Ca. lately? Had a good experience? If so, where and, how did you pull it off ( lame or lazy tech?)?

My car sniffs clean but there is no way it will pass a visual. From underneath you could mistake the supercharger for something else. From up top though, the plumbing just would not compute.

Please post or PM if you like (don't want to blow anyones cover) with any leads.

Regards

Enlighten us midwest people, if you pass the exam what is the issue? Is it illegal to modify a vehicle in Cali even if it passes smog?

Regards

Enlighten us midwest people, if you pass the exam what is the issue? Is it illegal to modify a vehicle in Cali even if it passes smog?

They're VERY stringent about "tampering" with smog equipment -- no matter how cleanly or professionally it was done. I've heard some real horror stories over in the Mustang forums about guys who couldn't get their cars registered because they bought them out of state and didn't have a special California sticker even though the systems were supposedly legal in all 50 states.

Check this out!!

Recently in Fresno at a car show, the CHP showed up and wrote up and towed a bunch of Modded cars. They were Lowriders but

who's next??

Modifiying a cars emmisions is Verboten in Kalifornia.

Check this out!!

Recently in Fresno at a car show, the CHP showed up and wrote up and towed a bunch of Modded cars. They were Lowriders but

who's next??

Modifiying a cars emmisions is Verboten in Kalifornia.

Wow that sucks. Seems hypocritical to create a smog standard that can be met but then tell people they are not allow to modify! If you meet the standard then you should be allowed...sounds like it's getting crazier out there.

So how do all the hardcores in and around LA with the billion dollar toys heavily modified get away with it?

I don't know about Orange County, but up here in Santa Clara County I have never had anyone request that the engine be exposed for a visual check. I usually go to the "Smog Pros" at an Arco station. They just roll the car onto their dyno which is built into the floor, then hook up the OBD-II connector and the sniffer. Ten minutes later I get my certificate.

kc

Regards

So how do all the hardcores in and around LA with the billion dollar toys heavily modified get away with it?

Simple they pay people off.

In Sacramento my friend gets away with it by, knowing someone at the DMV($300) or paying the shop twice as much and they pass it.

I've been warned about my Top Speed muffler........I'm wondering what would happen if I install the Fabspeed 2nd cat bypass pipes if shop would even know.

Additional info on the Cars written up at the LowRider event:

Most of the vehicles in question had nitrous systems or other tell-tale signs of engine modifications.

I should think a Porsche would be difficult to check due to not being able to just "pop the hood" to check for mods.