Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 OBC Help (SF Bay Area)

I have a 2003 Boxster and took it to the local Walnut Creek Porsche dealership to have the OBC turned on. A few technicians and 15 minutes later, they said the code is locked and cannot not be accessed via their PIWIS (new PST2?). Having a 2003, I was not surprised on what they said. So I told them I have a video that shows how it is done on a PST2 and an article from PCA

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...A-B79980832239}

that has the same information. Although they were kind enough going to do it for free, they were not interested or willing to perform the special procedure.

Can someone kindly point me to where in a Bay Area I can get this done easily?

Thanks!

Peter

Tool Pants,

I got the 3 DVDs (money well spent) but they have no interest seeing the clips.

Peter

I have been told it can't be done on a 2003....

What kind of video do you have?

Actually, the first ever OBC retrofit was done on Scott's 2003 on January 17, 2004.

Loren,

I thought by now dealerships would know this procedure so I did not bring along the DVD. I did show them the PCA page on my laptop but they were unwilling to do it. They said they only have done it on pre-02. I guess they were afraid to screw up my cluster.

I am looking for somewhere that has done this before so I can just go in and get it done.

Peter

This is likely a common problem.

They need to enter the model order type in the DME vehicle data in order to change any programming. (They really should have known this).

post-1-1215831879_thumb.png

• Moderators

I think Eric Schaefer is still the service manager of Stead Porsche. I met him about 7 years ago when the then new model was a 2001. He told me it could not be done on a 2001, but I had already done it on a 2001. I gave him a copy of Peter Smith's instructions and showed him the wiring harness Peter came up with.

About a week later Eric said they had done the retrofit on a customer's car, but it was something he did not think the dealership would be offering. I understand this. Dealership mechanics are not trained to do "hacks" like this. This is really a DIY project.

If you want to go to San Jose I can turn it on. As Loren said, on a 2003 the order type for some reason is missing from the DME. The second 2003 OBC retrofit we did was Raman's car - that is the one in the video. When Peter tried to turn on his OBC it was discovered that the order type was missing. Once Peter entered the order type in the DME then he was able to turn the OBC on.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...0&start=100

Tool Pants,

It was Eric, he is still there. Stead moved to where Honda was before a few years back. I can understand where he comes from.

If you are willing to turn it on for me, I am more than happy to take a trip down to San Jose. I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks!

Peter

I think Eric Schaefer is still the service manage of Stead Porsche. I met him about 7 years ago when the then new model was a 2001. He told me it could not be done on a 2001, but I had already done it on a 2001. I gave him a copy of Peter Smith's instructions and showed him the wiring harness Peter came up with.

About a week later Eric said they had done the retrofit on a customer's car, but it was something he did not think the dealership would be offering. I understand this. Mechanics are not trained to do "hacks" like this. This is really a DIY project.

If you want to go to San Jose I can turn it on. As Loren said, on a 2003 the order type for some reason is missing from the DME.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...0&start=100

• 1 month later...
I fixed this for Peter yesterday.

The dealer should have know the model type code has to be in the DME to change any programming. The PST2 even has a warn message to that affect when you try to code something.

Where do you get the order type for any given vehicle? Thanks.

• Admin

The dealer should have know the model type code has to be in the DME to change any programming. The PST2 even has a warn message to that affect when you try to code something.

Where do you get the order type for any given vehicle? Thanks.

We have compiled a list here

Loren,

Thanks again. It is especially interesting looking at the temperature with the hot weather we have here in the Bay Area these few days. :renntech:

Peter

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

I assume OBC = On Board Computer. This computer displays several values in the display under my tach.

I have a 2003 Cab... and what do you mean "To turn on the OBC" ?

Would appreciate explanation of what you guys are trying to do.

Thanks.

• Admin
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

I assume OBC = On Board Computer. This computer displays several values in the display under my tach.

I have a 2003 Cab... and what do you mean "To turn on the OBC" ?

Would appreciate explanation of what you guys are trying to do.

Thanks.

All 9x6 series cars came with the electronics for OBC (On Board Computer). But the feature was an option. If you got the factory option then you have 4 stalks on your steering wheel.

The lower left stalk controls the different displays of the OBC in instrument cluster.

All (US) 996 Carrera's came with cruise control - 986 Boxsters had cruise as an option.

Both had OBC as an option. Yet the primary electronics for these were always "built-in"

You can add both cruise control and OBC fairly easily to any of these cars.

You just add the proper stalk(s) (or switches) and turn the feature on using a PST2 or PIWIS tester.