Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgrade 997 to 997S front brakes- feasible?

I was offered a relatively new set of 06 997S front brakes and rotors. Is it feasible to change out the standard front 06 997 brakes for these?

Anything else involved besides changing the carriers? Are the rear S brakes the same as standard 997 rears or larger / thicker disks as well?

I've poked around on the usual pcar forums and didn't find much on the topic- Found a few threads started with the same question, but no answers.

TIA-

Yes, it looks like just the wheel carrier and the brakes.

The rear rotors and caliper are different between a C2 and C2S.

Thanks Loren- do you feel it would be beneficial to upgrade the fronts and leave the standard rears? I hate to see a good set of S brakes go to waste, but I don't want to do any mods which could negatively affect braking performance of the car.

• Admin

From the Technik Book for 997 S brakes:

"Due to its increased performance, the 911 Carrera S uses a brake system with extra power boosting. The system is based on the brake system of the 911 Turbo (996).

The system includes reinforced 4-piston monobloc fixed calipers on the front and rear axle. The calipers are painted red to distinguish them from the calipers on the 911 Carrera model. The internally ventilated and cross drilled brake discs have also been enlarged, to 330 mm x 34 mm (diameter x width) on the front axle and 330 mm x 28 mm on the rear axle. The use of larger brake pads in comparison with the 911 Carrera model increases the effective total brake pad surface by approx. 24% on the front axle and 30% on the rear axle, which extends the service life of the brake pads.

Combined with improved brake cooling, the brake system of the 911 Carrera S provides excellent stability and consistent short stopping distances time after time without any noticeable brake fade."

From the Technik Book for 997 S brakes:

"Due to its increased performance, the 911 Carrera S uses a brake system with extra power boosting. The system is based on the brake system of the 911 Turbo (996).

The system includes reinforced 4-piston monobloc fixed calipers on the front and rear axle. The calipers are painted red to distinguish them from the calipers on the 911 Carrera model. The internally ventilated and cross drilled brake discs have also been enlarged, to 330 mm x 34 mm (diameter x width) on the front axle and 330 mm x 28 mm on the rear axle. The use of larger brake pads in comparison with the 911 Carrera model increases the effective total brake pad surface by approx. 24% on the front axle and 30% on the rear axle, which extends the service life of the brake pads.

Combined with improved brake cooling, the brake system of the 911 Carrera S provides excellent stability and consistent short stopping distances time after time without any noticeable brake fade."

Ah- sounds like the master cylinder or brake booster may be different as well. Either way, over-braked in front and leaving standard rears might not work so hot.

Your front brakes do at least 70% of the stopping anyway. I haven't done it, but I don't think you'll have any problems with it. Hot rodders up their front brake size all the time.

Sure- On a hotrod no prob, you're pretty much going straight very fast and stopping hard (think 1/4 mile). Actually I did this on my 67 ragtop mustang and it worked out stellar.

On a pcar I'd be concerned about inconsistent brake fade (front S brakes ok and rears getting soft) while on the track or in the twisties for a length of time. I'd rather deal with consistency on all fours. This does not seem to be something that has been done by anyone- must be a reason.

I would do all four rotors when you change it out along with the calipers and other related parts to mount them correctly.

One thing I would look into is the brake bias and the regulator that distributes the brake fluid between front/rear. It should be the same, but I'd look into it to be sure they are the same parts. The Master Cylinder may also be different due to size of the calipers and amount of pistons in them. Booster should be same, but the MC must be different to provide the added fluid.

Regards,

Deanski

• 2 years later...

Hi,

For anyone interested, just finished the upgrade of the front and rear brakes of my 2005 C2. I used the C2s front and rear brakes and rotors and furthermore exchanged the front carriers from my C2 for the ones of a C2S

The Master brake cilinder has a different number in the porsche catalogue but when you look for the numbers in different partshops you allways end up with the same master brake cilinder. So I guessed it could not make much difference.

With the install there was no setback. Everything worked out fine. My braking is now much better. In the beginning the bleeding seemed to be troublesome and I was afraid I needed the bleed the secondary curcuit. For this you need the Piwis computer which I don't have. After one day of rally driving the brakes were well used and there was no deep pushing on the brakes anymore. Then I furthermore changed the rubber lines for the steel brakelines and now the braking is like stepping on a stone which directly forces the car to stop. Exactly what I needed. Really worthwile!

• Admin

Now try the Pagrid blue disk. They are 100 percent

better then stock pads. Also get the high temperature

blue brake fluid for the higher temps.

Paul

If you are talking about ATE Super Blue it has the exact same characteristics as ATE Gold Typ 200. ATE Super Blue is - just blue.