Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wierd Convertible Top Issue

strange issue with my top. basically, when i went to open it, the motors wound the clamshel SHUT and everything locked up. i manually popped the clamshell, re-synced everything, and tried to watch it go up and down. it would either open all the way and then continue to try and open further, or it would close all the way and continue to try to close further. i suspected the microswitch on the conv. top motor. i replaced it & everything worked for about two hours. now, same issue.

is there a third microswitch? one besides the switch in the dome light and the one on the conv top motor? my conv. top dash light is still lit even though the clamshell is shut. any other ideas? thanks.

strange issue with my top. basically, when i went to open it, the motors wound the clamshel SHUT and everything locked up. i manually popped the clamshell, re-synced everything, and tried to watch it go up and down. it would either open all the way and then continue to try and open further, or it would close all the way and continue to try to close further. i suspected the microswitch on the conv. top motor. i replaced it & everything worked for about two hours. now, same issue.

is there a third microswitch? one besides the switch in the dome light and the one on the conv top motor? my conv. top dash light is still lit even though the clamshell is shut. any other ideas? thanks.

Insite:

Your '99 Boxster has an additional microswitch, called the "B-pillar Microswitch".

It's located about 3 inches below the base of the driver's side B-Pillar, and when it malfunctions, it can cause exactly the symptoms that you are describing.

To access it, you must remove the semi-cylindrical black vinyl, carpet covered trim panel which is located just behind your left shoulder when you are sitting in the driver's seat.

You may be able to fix it by correcting the angle of the bend in the small silver colored metal lever. That angle corrects how early or how late in the cycle the switch itself is tripped as it contacts the black metal part under the B-Pillar.

I posted a procedure for removing the trim panel, but haven't been able to find it. If I find it, I will post it or the link to it.

Regards, Maurice.

Insite:

Your '99 Boxster has an additional microswitch, called the "B-pillar Microswitch".

It's located about 3 inches below the base of the driver's side B-Pillar, and when it malfunctions, it can cause exactly the symptoms that you are describing.

To access it, you must remove the semi-cylindrical black vinyl, carpet covered trim panel which is located just behind your left shoulder when you are sitting in the driver's seat.

You may be able to fix it by correcting the angle of the bend in the small silver colored metal lever. That angle corrects how early or how late in the cycle the switch itself is tripped as it contacts the black metal part under the B-Pillar.

I posted a procedure for removing the trim panel, but haven't been able to find it. If I find it, I will post it or the link to it.

Regards, Maurice.

you rock, maurice. thanks!

you rock, maurice. thanks!

Insite:

I found this write-up I had done a while ago. I'll post it now and look for the photo that I refer to in the write-up.

( Note: The B-pillar microswitch part # is 986-613-101-02).

The B-pillar microswitch is located near the top of the carpet-covered semi-round long plastic trim panel that is just behind your left shoulder as you sit in the driver's seat. To access it easily, you must remove that piece of trim by unscrewing the phillips screw which is hidden in the pile of the carpet, about three inches from the bottom and 3/4" forward of the engine firewall. Then loosen by 2 turns (DO NOT REMOVE) the 8 mm bolt that is located (on an angle) just forward of the front driver's side carpet pad on top of the engine cover. Then you can manoeuver the piece of trim off and you will see the B-pillar microswitch near the top, just below the big plastic "knuckle" at the bottom of the B-Pillar part of the convertible top mechanism.

Then, using either a small hook tool or a small piece of wire that you can wrap around the back of the small metal lever of the microswitch, pull and hold the small metal lever forward (so that it trips the microswitch [you should be able to hear the main relay click in the driver's side footwell]) and then press the open/close button on the dash. That should reverse the direction of travel of the motor. Keep an eye on the V-lever on the driver's side and note its direction of rotation before you do this so that you can immediately judge whether the V-levers have reversed direction. When you pull the small metal lever forward AND HOLD IT FORWARD, the V-levers should start to spin in the opposite direction.

Here is a photo of the microswitch and its location:

post-6627-1217798867_thumb.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to the small metal lever part of the microswitch. The microswitch housing is the little black plastic box just below it. (Note, in this photo, the trim panel has only been pulled aside and has not yet been removed, to give you a reference of where the microswitch is located and the white oval shows the location of the 8mm bolt). The yellow arrow shows the one phillips head screw that is holding the microswitch in place.

As the top closes, there is a black metal arm that comes up along with the B-pillar (which is actually pivoting at that point) and that metal arm presses on the small metal lever part of the microswitch, which in turn presses on the tiny switch encased in the black plastic box. As the small metal lever is pulled forward, it presses on the switch and you can hear the relay in the footwell clicking. If that metal lever is bent out of shape, it will either trip the switch too soon or too late, but there is no adjustment possible of the relay body itself, only in the bend of the small metal lever.

Believe it or not, you can operate your top that way to its complete open or closed position so that you can function on a temporary basis.

Regards, Maurice.

Edit: Added Photo.

Edited by 1schoir