Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing 997 Gauge faces for OEM painted ones - easy or PITA?

I came across a set of brand new in-package OEM gauge faces for 997. I can get them in either sand beige to match my interior, or white.

Is it difficult to open the gauge cluster and swap the faces? Special tool needed for removing needles?

Trying to determine the "effort to reward" ratio of doing this. Wondering if anyone has done this or has info on dissassembly of the gauge cluster-

TIA!

opening the cluster isnt to difficult a few screws and clips.

however swapping the gauge faces asks for removing the needles this is quite tricky.

i've just swapped the internals of two clusters because i didn't want to remove the needles

hope this helps

opening the cluster isnt to difficult a few screws and clips.

however swapping the gauge faces asks for removing the needles this is quite tricky.

i've just swapped the internals of two clusters because i didn't want to remove the needles

hope this helps

Thanks for the info- do you have any specific instructions for removing the needles? I'm not afraid of doing it, just need to know how (not something to experiment on...heh).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

997 Cluster Removal

1. If a new instrument cluster should be installed, read out the values if possible from the instrument cluster.

2. Loosen the steering wheel adjustment, put the steering wheel in the front-most and lowest position and lock the steering wheel adjustment.

3. Unscrew the two fastening screws 1.

post-1-1219416975.png

4. The instrument cluster is also secured in the dashboard with two retaining clips. Therefore, pull the instrument cluster abruptly forward and if necessary push instrument cluster away from dashboard from underneath.

5. Release electrical connector on instrument cluster A and unplug it.

post-1-1219416979.png

6. Pull out instrument cluster at the sides and to the left.

Installation is the reverse.

997 Cluster Removal

1. If a new instrument cluster should be installed, read out the values if possible from the instrument cluster.

2. Loosen the steering wheel adjustment, put the steering wheel in the front-most and lowest position and lock the steering wheel adjustment.

post-1-1219416975.png

4. The instrument cluster is also secured in the dashboard with two retaining clips. Therefore, pull the instrument cluster abruptly forward and if necessary push instrument cluster away from dashboard from underneath.

post-1-1219416979.png

Wow- Simpler than expected. Thanks very much Loren. I still cannot find info on needle removal, some suggest turning them counter-clockwise, others suuggest carefully prying straight off. Why do I always go for the oddball DIY's? LOL

997 Cluster Removal

post-1-1219416975.png

post-1-1219416979.png

I got as far as removing the steering wheel however the "two fastening screws" referenced in Step 3 above are not visible. It appears to me and as the diagrams seems to indicate, the plastic casing around the steering column needs to be removed together with the piece behind it (just below the cluster)? In the attached picture (sorry for the poor quality) there are holes (circled in red) in the front of the casing which I can insert a driver vertically however I could not locate a fastner head inside? There is a single T-30 Torx machine screw in the middle of the underside of the casing (see arrow) which I removed however I don't see any other screws or attaching points to remove the housing? Does the casing need to be removed to access the screws in Step 3? If so how is the column stripped to get access to them? If the casing doesn't need to be removed how are the fastening screws accessed? Your help would be appreciated.

post-19022-1219646496_thumb.jpg

Edited by edgemontvillage

• Moderators

It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel and dismantle the column. Lower and pull backward the column with the handle at the max. and lock. Pull out the lower/middle trim on the cluster and let hanging on the leather flap, there are 2 screws behind, remove the screws. Wiggle and pull the cluster out, there is room enough, remove the connector.

It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel and dismantle the column. Lower and pull backward the column with the handle at the max. and lock. Pull out the lower/middle trim on the cluster and let hanging on the leather flap, there are 2 screws behind, remove the screws. Wiggle and pull the cluster out, there is room enough, remove the connector.

Thank you, this is helpful especially if I can avoid stripping down the steering column. Can you tell me how to remove "the lower/middle trim" which I take to mean the leather/plastic piece directly below the instrument cluster that covers the column (the flap) and allows it to tilt. Where does this pull out from and how is it attached?

Last night I tried again to access the guage cluster to remove it, this time I tried to access the mounting screws shown in Loren's schematic from behind the flap below the cluster (see picture, area circled in pink). I was able to detach the leather flap from the drivers side of the steering column (clips in) however had no success trying to detach the other side where it is wrapped around the trim below the cluster. I was able to dislodge the plastic somewhat however I was concerned about possibly breaking the piece as it seems there may be a couple of fasteners holding it below the cluster where the 2 horizontal sections of the dash meet (above the ignition) - so close and yet so far...any help would be appreciated!

post-19022-1219762321_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just did this. here are some pictures. hope they help:

1. Lower the steering wheels and pull it all the way aft. No need to take the steering wheels off.

2. Pull the plastic former right under the cluster towards you or stright aft. This will reveal the two torx screws that holds the cluster locked.

3. Remove two torx srews. I used an extra tool(magnet) so not to drop the screws themsleves.

4. Now you can pull the clusster straight back. It is still held by two clips in the back, so ti will need a strong tug towards you. I found the best way is to insert your fingers under then behind the cluster and pull it towards you.

post-3044-1221414739_thumb.jpg

post-3044-1221414765_thumb.jpg

post-3044-1221414817_thumb.jpg

post-3044-1221414854_thumb.jpg

post-3044-1221414926_thumb.jpg

post-3044-1221414954_thumb.jpg

Mike - thanks for the pics. Any info by chance on how to remove the gauge needles?

I have heard that you must turn the needles counter-clockwise and pull to remove, and re-installing is the reverse, but this is unconfirmed information.

• 2 weeks later...
a. The harness is held by the black harness lock tab. Swing the black tab down and the harness will push itself off the cluster.

Mike, outstanding pictures and step-by-step description! Many thanks :clapping: . On a small point, in step #2 you state " Pull the plastic former right under the cluster towards you or stright aft. This will reveal the two torx screws that holds the cluster locked." I was able to dislodge the upper portion of the plastic piece where it wraps around the area below the guages however wasn't able to dislodge it where it's sandwiched / friction fit in between the seam of the dash (low side). Did you simply pull on the bottom of the piece to get it to release or? I stopped there as I feared I might break the plastic which seemed fragile and wasn't sure if there was a fastener?

I just did this. here are some pictures. hope they help:

1. Lower the steering wheels and pull it all the way aft. No need to take the steering wheels off.

2. Pull the plastic former right under the cluster towards you or stright aft. This will reveal the two torx screws that holds the cluster locked.

3. Remove two torx srews. I used an extra tool(magnet) so not to drop the screws themsleves.

4. Now you can pull the clusster straight back. It is still held by two clips in the back, so ti will need a strong tug towards you. I found the best way is to insert your fingers under then behind the cluster and pull it towards you.

Mike, here is the area I was having trouble (circled in red), I couldn't get the bottom of the plastic trim piece to release from the dash seam - how did you succeed, careful pursuasion, prying or?

post-19022-1222382985.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. Trying to change the face plate on my speedometer from mph to kph for my move to Europe. Anybody any idea how to open the cluster and remove the face plates? Also, anybody find a place where I could order OEM replacements?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I came across a set of brand new in-package OEM gauge faces for 997. I can get them in either sand beige to match my interior, or white.

Is it difficult to open the gauge cluster and swap the faces? Special tool needed for removing needles?

Trying to determine the "effort to reward" ratio of doing this. Wondering if anyone has done this or has info on dissassembly of the gauge cluster-

TIA!

Hi,

Don't try to change the faces at home. I had my 997 gauge faces changed at Palo Alto Speedometer. Precision tools, professional skill and proper calibration are needed to complete this work. It cost me $200 plus shipping to change the faces. Considering the cost to replace the gauges (<$2,000) - it was worth it.

John

• 2 months later...

edgemontvillage: i had the same problem and found this thread. all you have to do is pull out towards you with some pressure. it will pop out but not off. the bottom was still connect to the top piece of the steering column.

hope that helps!

PS. i do have a question though, i got the 2 torx screws out (#15 torx) but the cluster is pretty much stuck in. any tips or should I just put my hand underneath and pull towards myself? any other tips, just seems like it won't budge...

edgemontvillage: i had the same problem and found this thread. all you have to do is pull out towards you with some pressure. it will pop out but not off. the bottom was still connect to the top piece of the steering column.

hope that helps!

PS. i do have a question though, i got the 2 torx screws out (#15 torx) but the cluster is pretty much stuck in. any tips or should I just put my hand underneath and pull towards myself? any other tips, just seems like it won't budge...

Just pull hard its held by two clips at the back. see picture

post-18417-1233139889_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Is it true that once u have it installed, u need dealer to use PIWIS tester to read out correct mileage and to clear any error messages? thanks

Not unless you are changing the whole cluster. In that case the proper procedure is to read out the setting from the old cluster. Replace the cluster - then program the old settings back into the new cluster.

• 4 weeks later...