Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation System Update

I just found this forum & it appears to have lots of good and useful information. I have an 06 997 C4S Cab and an 83 SC Targa and love them both. I've owned the SC for many years and have done most of the repairs / maintenance myself (brakes, alternator, A/C compressor, cam tensioner update, etc). So far, I've had no issues or maintenance items with my 997 but it is about due for an oil change -- I plan put the tips listed to good use!

I just received a mailer from my local dealer announcing the latest navigation system update (#997 044 901 51) for $299 plus installation.

Questions for the forum:

Is there an alternate source for the DVD at a lower price?

Is this update a DIY project for a mechanically savvy but electrically challenged person like myself?

Thanks in advance.

I just found this forum & it appears to have lots of good and useful information. I have an 06 997 C4S Cab and an 83 SC Targa and love them both. I've owned the SC for many years and have done most of the repairs / maintenance myself (brakes, alternator, A/C compressor, cam tensioner update, etc). So far, I've had no issues or maintenance items with my 997 but it is about due for an oil change -- I plan put the tips listed to good use!

I just received a mailer from my local dealer announcing the latest navigation system update (#997 044 901 51) for $299 plus installation.

Questions for the forum:

Is this update a DIY project for a mechanically savvy but electrically challenged person like myself?

Thanks in advance.

This is an easy do it yourself project. There is a tech bulletin here in DIY Section: part 32/07 9110 navigation update to walk you through. You need one of the extra CD's to upgrade PCM to Level C if you are not there already and you just pop in new Map DVD. PM me with questions.

Edited by larrytrk

This is an easy do it yourself project. There is a tech bulletin here in DIY Section: part 32/07 9110 navigation update to walk you through. You need one of the extra CD's to upgrade PCM to Level C if you are not there already and you just pop in new Map DVD. PM me with questions.

Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which CD I need to upgrade to "Model Level A: 04202xxx" from "Standard version: 04035xxx". I'm old school (early 2005 with Version 1.0 software).

I've done a bunch of searches and read through what I believe to be the relevant TSBs.

My read of 9110 32/07 is that it refers you to "911000 Spare parts requirements for PCM2.1 and/or BOSE amplifier" to get to Model Level A. My read of that TSB is that I need CD part number "000.043.205.46.xxx". My dealer says he won't sell me the disk alone and that he needs to do the install, and, on top of that, that I need to buy a new NAV DVD in order to get the upgrade CD. I already have the new NAV DVD, but I can't find the upgrade CD on Ebay. Any idea what specific part number I need (which .xxx do I specify)? And where I can get it? Would Sunset be able to help?

Also, my dealer just installed a new amp under warranty and it now as a warning mark beside it. From what I can gather on this Board, it really doesn't matter as long as the amp works. True?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by c_potato

The Nav update kit is about $299 (minus your PCA %10) has about 4 DVD's 3 for various Cars and various PCM levels from base to C. and 1 08 Map DVD.

Sunset or your dealer can sell it to you. You can install yourself. The TSB tells you which disc's to use to get to level C.

After you install you are left with 3 useless Discs, 1 old Nav disc and a faux leather CD case. If you have nav your old disc may still work, mine did when we accidentally put in in instead of the 08 map disc. We then installed the updated 08 Nav DVD.

If all you want to do is get to level C on your PCM, you can use anyones used Discs, with or without Nav I suspect. PM me for additional info.

The Nav update kit is about $299 (minus your PCA %10) has about 4 DVD's 3 for various Cars and various PCM levels from base to C. and 1 08 Map DVD.

Sunset or your dealer can sell it to you. You can install yourself. The TSB tells you which disc's to use to get to level C.

After you install you are left with 3 useless Discs, 1 old Nav disc and a faux leather CD case. If you have nav your old disc may still work, mine did when we accidentally put in in instead of the 08 map disc. We then installed the updated 08 Nav DVD.

If all you want to do is get to level C on your PCM, you can use anyones used Discs, with or without Nav I suspect. PM me for additional info.

OK, I bought the kit, but I think I'm still missing a disk becuase it was a MY2008 kit (and I have an early model MY2005). Looking at everything in front of me (CDs and TSBs), it seems that in order to get FROM the standard version (04035xxx) (which was installed only on early MY2005s) TO Model Level A, I need CD Part Number 000.043.205.46.004 (or .001, neither of which is included in the kit). I can then use the balance of the disks in the kit to go from there, but I need to get to Model Level A first. Any ideas on where I can get that single disk? Feel free to PM me with additional information.

Edited by c_potato

I understand what you're saying, you're on the right track. Upgrading to the MY08 maps is a bit of a pain in the arse if you have a early 05 with the 04035 software. You should be able to order Model level A update from the dealer though I imagine it would be pretty expensive. It might be worth it to just pay the dealer to update you to model level A. It shouldn't be any more than an hour of labor to do. Once you're updated to model level A the kit you bought has everything else you need. Also be glad the dealer updated your AMP under warranty because most likely the one that was installed in your car from the factory would not have been compatible with the new software.

I understand what you're saying, you're on the right track. Upgrading to the MY08 maps is a bit of a pain in the arse if you have a early 05 with the 04035 software. You should be able to order Model level A update from the dealer though I imagine it would be pretty expensive. It might be worth it to just pay the dealer to update you to model level A. It shouldn't be any more than an hour of labor to do. Once you're updated to model level A the kit you bought has everything else you need. Also be glad the dealer updated your AMP under warranty because most likely the one that was installed in your car from the factory would not have been compatible with the new software.

Thanks PTEC. Good point about the amp software. I remember reading earlier posts about upgrades turning amps into bricks, but only put two and two together--as a result of your post--that it might have been because of the hardware/software of the early amps. The current software of my amp is 00017600/3105.

Also good point about just getting the dealer to upgrade to Model Level A. I hadn't even thought of that. I had already ordered the disk from another dealer ($6) when I saw your message. In fact, now knowing the hassle of upgrading, I should have just got the dealer to do the full upgrade in the first place.

Just a quick follow-up question. Do you know which Navigation DVD is supposed to come with the 997.044.901.51 kit? The fellow I bought the kit from says it came with the 05.2006 NAV DVD (Part # 997.642.257.03), although all the other disks in the kit are dated 08.2007. The concern I have is that the TSB says NAV DVDs dated earlier than 08.2007 won't work following the upgrade. Does something sound wrong?

Just a quick follow-up question. Do you know which Navigation DVD is supposed to come with the 997.044.901.51 kit? The fellow I bought the kit from says it came with the 05.2006 NAV DVD (Part # 997.642.257.03), although all the other disks in the kit are dated 08.2007. The concern I have is that the TSB says NAV DVDs dated earlier than 08.2007 won't work following the upgrade. Does something sound wrong?

05.2006 will technically work as far as I know but thats not the MY08 map data. The disc should be 08.2007 as you mentioned. Was the kit opened when you got it? Who did you buy it from?

05.2006 will technically work as far as I know but thats not the MY08 map data. The disc should be 08.2007 as you mentioned. Was the kit opened when you got it? Who did you buy it from?

Thanks. I bought an open kit from Ebay (serves me right, I know). The seller said he sent me exactly what he received from Porsche. He said the reason for selling was that he found the original NAV DVD from his car after buying the kit but because the kit was opened it could not be returned. It just didn't make sense that the NAV DVD would be dated 05.2006, when all the other disks were 08.2007 (consistent with the TSB), but you never know.

The title of the Ad was for a "2008 PORSCHE 911 NAVIGATION DVD", with the body of the ad saying "This Navigation DVD is the most current version used in all 911 models", "This Nav. DVD can also update your older 05, 06 and 07 version to the 2008 version in few minutes" and "This is the 2008 updated maps, with all the new streets and point of interests (POI) and Restaurant and ETC information".

The seller purchased the kit in May. As a longshot, could that somehow make a difference? Otherwise, I guess I could ask the seller to complain to Porsche about a mistake they made in packaging up the kit in an effort to get the correct 08.2007 disk??

Also be glad the dealer updated your AMP under warranty because most likely the one that was installed in your car from the factory would not have been compatible with the new software.

PTEC, you got me thinking a little bit more about this. My AMP software is 00017600 (hardware: 997.645.334.33), but the .inf file on the Update CD 2 has a section for updating the Bose amp to 017500. Should I modify the CD to delete the Bose reference in the INF file so that I can keep my current, updated Bose software?

I thought this would be a fun DIY project, but I should have just taken the darn thing into the dealer from the get go.

Also be glad the dealer updated your AMP under warranty because most likely the one that was installed in your car from the factory would not have been compatible with the new software.

PTEC, you got me thinking a little bit more about this. My AMP software is 00017600 (hardware: 997.645.334.33), but the .inf file on the Update CD 2 has a section for updating the Bose amp to 017500. Should I modify the CD to delete the Bose reference in the INF file so that I can keep my current, updated Bose software?

I thought this would be a fun DIY project, but I should have just taken the darn thing into the dealer from the get go.

I bought the NAV upgrade kit from my dealer ($299 - 10% PCA discount), it had 2 PCM CDs (dealer kept those, they gave me the box and CD wallet) and an 08.2007 NAV DVD. They performed the PCM upgrade free (per the May 08 TSB) which brought my PCM to 3.0 or 2.1 version C - whichever seems more correct. It took about 45 minutes and all looks good. Apparently I now need a MY06 PCM manunal to use some of the new features. I was hoping to get a 12.2007 NAV DVD, becuase I heard they were availablel - but the dealer so they are not.... BTW my "incompatible navigation software" message finally dissappeared with this PCM upgrade. It did not go away when they did the PCM 2.1 version upgrade earlier this year.

I wouldn't worry about deleting or modifying anything on the cd. Since your amp software is current it wont try and update the amp when you insert the disc. One more thing that confuses a lot of people when doing this update is make sure you insert 000.044.901.40 into the DVD drive and not into the PCM.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems there is a little confusion in this thread. From what I have read , the early PCM2.1 units originally running version 1 or 2 software can only be updated as far as version 3. Version 3 corresponds to level B and not C. Version C is software version 4. The Navigation module ( DVD drive)was originally updated by the map DVD , as a file contained on the disc. If you view the files of a map DVD of version 05.2006 or later it contains the same software update as found on the separate disk now bundled as part of a 3 disk update. I can only assume that the new PCM3 will use the same map DVD as the old PCM2.1 , but the map is now loaded direct onto the PCM , rather than run from a separate DVD drive. Its possible this is why the navigation DVD drive update is no longer part of the map DVD itself.

If updating from an early PCM2.1 that is pre model level A (ie software version 1) the unit must be updated to level A using a single disc, before being updated (along with the Amplifier) to model level B (software version 3). Once at level B the navigation DVD drive is no longer at a compatable software level with the PCM (since the units are updated separately) so a new map Update , or separate update of the software must be loaded into the navigation drive (the old 2004 maps will no longer work due to incompatable software levels between the pcm and navigation DVD drive). If you use the separate update CD for the navigation drive , the map DVD used must be 05.2006 or later , as its only designed to work with the latest software level. If you try and use an older map DVD (10.2005 or earlier) with an earlier navigation software level as part of the DVD , compared to the level thats in the navigation DVD drive itself , there may be problems as the software isn't intended to roll back.

I'm hopefully 7/8 of the way there on the upgrade and thought I would report back in case other early-2005 owners decide to upgrade in the future (as their existing maps become more stale and updated maps become available on ebay). [bTW, thanks to all the posters in this thread for their help].

I went from pre-model level A to Model Level A using the single disk Berty refers to (000.043.205.46.004--$6 ordered from Sunset). No problems.

I then used Update CD 1 (000.043.205.46.002) that came with the kit. It said there were 4 updates on the disk, but it stopped with an error message after I believe only 1 update. Having nothing to lose, I thought I'd try it again. This time it went through 3 updates (of now only 3 updates--a little weird) and completed fine.

I then inserted the 05.2006 Navigation DVD and it updated the Navigation software. [The seller (see my earlier posts) is sending me the 08.2007 Navigation DVD as there was some confusion on his end vis a vis his dealer, but it hasn't arrived yet so I didn't try and upgrade the Navigation software with the separate update CD (000.044.901.40) as per the TSB, as I didn't want to risk that it would render the 05.2006 disk unusable--I know there were earlier posts saying the disk would still work; from Berty's post, it now makes sense as to why that would be].

I'm now at:

PCM 05024AD1 / 0205

Amplifier 00017500 / 3504

Navigation 00179434 / 0606

System Software 04514BD1 / 5104

[Note: My amplifier's software downgraded to 00017500 from 00017600 (amplifier was replaced/updated earlier under warranty), but works fine. Also, no triangles or anything associated with the devices. The amplifier previously had a warning triangle after being replaced].

So, from what you're saying Berty (and I've compared the files--you're right, they are labelled differently, but are the same size), I do not need to put the 08.2007 Navigation Update CD into the DVD drive as it has already been updated with the current software from the 05.2006 DVD [makes sense--I'll report back if there are any problems running the 08.2007 Navigation DVD after it arrives].

Now my only problem is that I'm not receiving any satellites...so the NAV still doesn't work! I've got an appointment with the dealer to look at this issue. From searching this forum, I'm hoping it's just a loose antenna, but I'm not at all mechanically inclined and couldn't figure out how to get to it to check.

Pleased its all coming together for you. Regarding the satellite recption issue, I had the same problem. The Antennae sits in a pocket on the underside of the lower part of windscreen trim just above where the cabin air filter element is located on the passenger side of the vehcile (with the front hood open). If your car has been serviced or you have been over a rough road the connection can drop off from the antennae.

A question for you regarding updates, I assume the CD for the level A update was a self executing file from the PCM CD drive, just as all the other updates ?

I see from the parts listing that there are also revisions on the part number 000.043.205.46.004 to 009 suggesting there are other software updates for the PCM 2.1. My experience is that the 000.043.205.005 (superceeded to .007) is specific for vehicles originally supplied with level B (software version 3) that have a different CD drive allowing MP3 playback. The .005/.007 edition was designed as a repair kit to solve MP3 playback issues and CD skip problems (and takes the software level to 3.3). I'm not sure what the edition .008 and .009 are designed to fix or software level they can be applied to. Certainly the .005/.007 CD cannot be applied to your system as it is the incorrect hardware, so level B version 3 seems the limit at the moment.

Pleased its all coming together for you. Regarding the satellite recption issue, I had the same problem. The Antennae sits in a pocket on the underside of the lower part of windscreen trim just above where the cabin air filter element is located on the passenger side of the vehcile (with the front hood open). If your car has been serviced or you have been over a rough road the connection can drop off from the antennae.

A question for you regarding updates, I assume the CD for the level A update was a self executing file from the PCM CD drive, just as all the other updates ?

I see from the parts listing that there are also revisions on the part number 000.043.205.46.004 to 009 suggesting there are other software updates for the PCM 2.1. My experience is that the 000.043.205.005 (superceeded to .007) is specific for vehicles originally supplied with level B (software version 3) that have a different CD drive allowing MP3 playback. The .005/.007 edition was designed as a repair kit to solve MP3 playback issues and CD skip problems (and takes the software level to 3.3). I'm not sure what the edition .008 and .009 are designed to fix or software level they can be applied to. Certainly the .005/.007 CD cannot be applied to your system as it is the incorrect hardware, so level B version 3 seems the limit at the moment.

Berty, you are correct. The CD was self executing via the PCM CD Drive.

My NAV issue turned out to be that the NAV system was not in the correct order in the module communication circuit, kicking out a couple fault codes. I have to say that I've been impressed with the dealer. Some of the issues in these cars (as I'm sure with any newer performance car) seem very difficult to diagnose/fix. Not like the old days when cars didn't have as many computers I guess. They just fixed a real PITA squeak (per another thread). I now love my car.

I was scratching my head about the different software versions as well. The "PCM2.1 & BOSE Amplifier Spare Parts Requirements" TSB says there are two part numbers XXX.001 and XXX.004 and that .001 could be used until .004 is available. It got me thinking. If you're updating beyond Level A, what difference does it make? I assume each level activates/changes certain features, thus the reason there is no "cumulative" updating "patch".

Questions for the forum:

Thanks in advance.

I recomend you have a dealer do this update, when you recieve the update there will be a warning inside the kit to have an authorized dealer install it. I have done these updates and have had trouble sometimes, some of the pcm units have to be updated to a later version first, even when going in correct order, all appears to be running correctly and at the end it will not be able to read the disc or other issues, this has been more of a problem with the cayenne but have heard of issues with sports cars as well. If you have the latest pcm software this is an easier update.

I too am wanting to install the lastest navigation update (997 044 901 51) in my 07 GT3. In fact I bought the software and am cautiously trying to learn more about the installation so I can do it myself. I have read the tech bulletin 32/07 on installation. Checking my software version of the PCM in my car I get 4505 which is not listed in the bulletin. Is this level B or C? According to the bulletin if you have level C only the map update needs to be installed. Thanks for anyone who can help me with this. By the way, my local dealer wanted over $500 plus tax for the software. I was able to get it as has been mentioned for about $300. Therefore, I would like to do the installation myself.

I too am wanting to install the lastest navigation update (997 044 901 51) in my 07 GT3. In fact I bought the software and am cautiously trying to learn more about the installation so I can do it myself. I have read the tech bulletin 32/07 on installation. Checking my software version of the PCM in my car I get 4505 which is not listed in the bulletin. Is this level B or C? According to the bulletin if you have level C only the map update needs to be installed. Thanks for anyone who can help me with this. By the way, my local dealer wanted over $500 plus tax for the software. I was able to get it as has been mentioned for about $300. Therefore, I would like to do the installation myself.

I was in essentially the same boat as you (other than the new GT3 part!).

I'm not sure about your software version, but I would bet dollars to donuts you are at Level C. And if you read the Bulletin as many times as I did ;-), you would have noticed that "If the display shows Model Level B (05024xxx) [NOTE: NOT C], only the navigation module needs to be updated." I'm guessing Level C already has the updated navigation software and no update is required.

To close the loop on my earlier message, I did not put the 08.2007 Navigation Update CD [000.044.901.40] into the DVD drive. Since the new NAV DVD works fine, obviously, as Berty suspected, the NAV software had been updated via the files on the 05.2006 DVD [although, somewhat oddly, it did ask if I wanted to Update the Navigation Software when I inserted the 08.2007 Navigation DVD into the DVD Drive--and my Navigation software version is now: 00179436 / 3306].

I would bet if you simply put the new NAV DVD in the drive, it will ask if you want to Update the Navigation Software and then you will be good to go. And no "update" CDs will be required.

c_potato. You were correct. I got the guts to go ahead and update my system today. I tried the PCM update disc (043.205.46.002) but got a message that it was invalid. I therefore put in the Update CD Navigation MY08 and all went exactly as described in the tech bulletin, finishing with the Navigation DVD 997.044.901.51. Thanks. Although I have a good Porsche service center, I am satisfied to be able to do something myself and not pay them an hour's labor for something so easy to do. It's about time I joined RennTech. :P

I was in essentially the same boat as you (other than the new GT3 part!).

I'm not sure about your software version, but I would bet dollars to donuts you are at Level C. And if you read the Bulletin as many times as I did ;-), you would have noticed that "If the display shows Model Level B (05024xxx) [NOTE: NOT C], only the navigation module needs to be updated." I'm guessing Level C already has the updated navigation software and no update is required.

To close the loop on my earlier message, I did not put the 08.2007 Navigation Update CD [000.044.901.40] into the DVD drive. Since the new NAV DVD works fine, obviously, as Berty suspected, the NAV software had been updated via the files on the 05.2006 DVD [although, somewhat oddly, it did ask if I wanted to Update the Navigation Software when I inserted the 08.2007 Navigation DVD into the DVD Drive--and my Navigation software version is now: 00179436 / 3306].

I would bet if you simply put the new NAV DVD in the drive, it will ask if you want to Update the Navigation Software and then you will be good to go. And no "update" CDs will be required.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the update installed when it came out and I'm very thankful I did. The Big Dig here in Boston has changed the whole downtown street system. The update has evberything up to date and works well when you're driving underground for 7 miles :)

Damon

• 3 weeks later...

In my 2006 Carrera S I am running the "5.2007" DVD, 997.642.257.05. (About nine months or so ago I replaced the previous "2005" or "2006" [can't recall] DVD that came with the [used] car with the 5.2007.) I just bought the "8.2007" DVD, 997.044.901.51 on eBay, but haven't received it yet. Can I pop out the 5.2007 DVD and insert the 8.2007?

Separately, I'm curious as to whether 5.2007 and 8.2007 designate May and August of 2007. If so it seems peculiar that they would be issued three months apart, but none since then -- if they are map data updates rather than software updates.

I've had both the 05 2007 and 08 2007 map DVD's running in my car. I cannot see any difference and the file sizes look the same with the same date stamp suggesting they are identical. Swapping from 2007 to 2005 map updates will have no detrement on the system other than the map being older . The reason for the 08.2007 map was I beleive to allow the introduction of a separate navigation update CD rather than it being included on the map DVD itself. Apparently there were some cases where the navigation system would struggle to update from the 2005 to 2007 MAP directly. The software on the separate map Cd is the same as that found on all map DVD's since 05 2006. The very latest 08.2007 map DVD has the same software update version as that found on the separate Cd and all maps since 2006.

Bundled with the PCM 2.1 MAP is a 3 CD or 2 CD kit that allows the earlier PCM's currently running the 2004 maps to update the system software to allow them to run later MAP DVD's. If your vehicle is already running a 2005 or later map then you do not need to update the system and the CD's are surplus to requirements. If you try and load a 2005 map DVD or later into a car previously running a 2004 map, without the update , the map cannot be read and you get an error message.

Edited by berty987

I've had both the 05 2007 and 08 2007 map DVD's running in my car. I cannot see any difference and the file sizes look the same with the same date stamp suggesting they are identical.

OK, thanks. I wonder then what the Porsche mailing of a few months ago announcing the availability of an updated map DVD was about; it's what got me looking into updating and ultimately spending $50 on eBay. I see that the 08.2007 DVD is what's on the Porsche site as "Navigation Update".