Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation System Update

Hi Guys. Stupid question probably as it seems so straightforward it has probably been asked and answered a million times to apologies in advance if this is the case. Anyway here goes ... why does the new 2008 nav dvd have 08/2007 written on it? I mean it was issued in July 2008 right? Seems odd. I was thinking I had last years disk for a few weeks and was getting on my dealers case about it. Could someone put me out of my misery pls?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I need help for my Cayenne S 2004. I have PCM 2.1 (I think!) with separate NAV DVD. The original map was dated 8/2004, few days ago I put inside the DVD the map 10/2004. The PCM made an updating and all is working. My curent software is SW 1 (Standard Level 04035XXX). Now if I put inside de DVD the map 5/2005 doesn't work because PCM says Incopatible Map. I think I have to upgrade the software to Level A Model (x4202xxx) and then to Level B Model. I think I need a disk that I don't find and my dealer said is not posible to buy. Yesterday I put inside de front cd (PCM unit) one cd and now is blocked inside because it doesn't came out. I'm allready convinced that i've to open the PCM to take off the disk....Pease help to find the dsk I need...thank you very much.

Hello all,

I need help for my Cayenne S 2004. I have PCM 2.1 (I think!) with separate NAV DVD. The original map was dated 8/2004, few days ago I put inside the DVD the map 10/2004. The PCM made an updating and all is working. My curent software is SW 1 (Standard Level 04035XXX). Now if I put inside de DVD the map 5/2005 doesn't work because PCM says Incopatible Map. I think I have to upgrade the software to Level A Model (x4202xxx) and then to Level B Model. I think I need a disk that I don't find and my dealer said is not posible to buy. Yesterday I put inside de front cd (PCM unit) one cd and now is blocked inside because it doesn't came out. I'm allready convinced that i've to open the PCM to take off the disk....Pease help to find the dsk I need...thank you very much.

Shut the car off. Lock it and unlock after 5 minutes. Turn on PCM and see if it automatically ejects the CD.

Hello all,

Shut the car off. Lock it and unlock after 5 minutes. Turn on PCM and see if it automatically ejects the CD.

Thanks Larry, no way....the cd doesn't came out...Do you know someting about the PCM upgrade???

The 911/Cayman/ Boxster use a different type of PCM2.1 to the Cayenne , so the update CD's are not interchangeable. The procedure for using a 2005 map DVD in a car originally using a 2004 map is however the same. In this respect you are correct that the PCM needs to be updated from software version 1 to software version 3 (ie existing model level to level B ). In order to effect the update you need one Cd to update to level A , and then two CD's to update to level B followed by a CD that goes in the navigation drive to update the navigation unit. The CD's are not sold separately and come as part of a new map package , and are loaded by the workshop using the PWIS unit (though they can be directly inserted into the PCM if you follow the tech bulletin). I beleive the PCM can be reset by pressing 148 , this may be worth a try before dismantling the whole unit.

The 911/Cayman/ Boxster use a different type of PCM2.1 to the Cayenne , so the update CD's are not interchangeable. The procedure for using a 2005 map DVD in a car originally using a 2004 map is however the same. In this respect you are correct that the PCM needs to be updated from software version 1 to software version 3 (ie existing model level to level B ). In order to effect the update you need one Cd to update to level A , and then two CD's to update to level B followed by a CD that goes in the navigation drive to update the navigation unit. The CD's are not sold separately and come as part of a new map package , and are loaded by the workshop using the PWIS unit (though they can be directly inserted into the PCM if you follow the tech bulletin). I beleive the PCM can be reset by pressing 148 , this may be worth a try before dismantling the whole unit.

Thanks Berty,

my dealer says that is not possible update the PCM2.1 because they only have the 2008 DVD Map that can upgrade just level A to level C with the 3 cd's in the package.......

Thanks Berty,

my dealer says that is not possible update the PCM2.1 because they only have the 2008 DVD Map that can upgrade just level A to level C with the 3 cd's in the package.......

Berty, I made the reset with the cod 148, and th CD was ejected...thaks a lot...

05.2006 will technically work as far as I know but thats not the MY08 map data. The disc should be 08.2007 as you mentioned. Was the kit opened when you got it? Who did you buy it from?

Thanks. I bought an open kit from Ebay (serves me right, I know). The seller said he sent me exactly what he received from Porsche. He said the reason for selling was that he found the original NAV DVD from his car after buying the kit but because the kit was opened it could not be returned. It just didn't make sense that the NAV DVD would be dated 05.2006, when all the other disks were 08.2007 (consistent with the TSB), but you never know.

The title of the Ad was for a "2008 PORSCHE 911 NAVIGATION DVD", with the body of the ad saying "This Navigation DVD is the most current version used in all 911 models", "This Nav. DVD can also update your older 05, 06 and 07 version to the 2008 version in few minutes" and "This is the 2008 updated maps, with all the new streets and point of interests (POI) and Restaurant and ETC information".

The seller purchased the kit in May. As a longshot, could that somehow make a difference? Otherwise, I guess I could ask the seller to complain to Porsche about a mistake they made in packaging up the kit in an effort to get the correct 08.2007 disk??

Dear C_potato:

Did you buy that from an eBay seller named losangelesporsche? I got taken from this guy...

Thanks Berty,

You will need to ask your dealer to order a special update CD that takes your PCM from existing model level to level A. The Cd is only a few dollars and will then allow the map update CD package to update the PCM to level 3 version B software and run the 2008 map DVD.

05.2006 will technically work as far as I know but thats not the MY08 map data. The disc should be 08.2007 as you mentioned. Was the kit opened when you got it? Who did you buy it from?

Thanks. I bought an open kit from Ebay (serves me right, I know). The seller said he sent me exactly what he received from Porsche. He said the reason for selling was that he found the original NAV DVD from his car after buying the kit but because the kit was opened it could not be returned. It just didn't make sense that the NAV DVD would be dated 05.2006, when all the other disks were 08.2007 (consistent with the TSB), but you never know.

The title of the Ad was for a "2008 PORSCHE 911 NAVIGATION DVD", with the body of the ad saying "This Navigation DVD is the most current version used in all 911 models", "This Nav. DVD can also update your older 05, 06 and 07 version to the 2008 version in few minutes" and "This is the 2008 updated maps, with all the new streets and point of interests (POI) and Restaurant and ETC information".

The seller purchased the kit in May. As a longshot, could that somehow make a difference? Otherwise, I guess I could ask the seller to complain to Porsche about a mistake they made in packaging up the kit in an effort to get the correct 08.2007 disk??

Dear C_potato:

Did you buy that from an eBay seller named losangelesporsche? I got taken from this guy...

No, but my guy came through for me in the end after I complained (we swapped disks).

I have been trying to follow this thread as am trying to update my dvd to 08.2007. I hav and the PCM software version shows 3.3e a 2006 911 and when i checked the dvd version it shows 04.2005 and the PCM software version shows 3.3. If i buy a new navigation disk any idea if it can just be loaded in ot the dvd or i would be in the same boat as applying the software updates?

thanks.

I have been trying to follow this thread as am trying to update my dvd to 08.2007. I hav and the PCM software version shows 3.3e a 2006 911 and when i checked the dvd version it shows 04.2005 and the PCM software version shows 3.3. If i buy a new navigation disk any idea if it can just be loaded in ot the dvd or i would be in the same boat as applying the software updates?

thanks.

At 3.3 you should be able to just put in 08.2007 map DVD no problem! It will ask to update, you choose yes!!

thanks.

At 3.3 you should be able to just put in 08.2007 map DVD no problem! It will ask to update, you choose yes!!

thanks larrytrk

I just checked today as i said ealier the software version shows 3.3 so what does 3.3 signify?

also when I checked my pcm version it showd 0504 which is level B. I tried to read through the tsb also.

so you think all i have to do is just try and put int he dvd navigation disc and that should do the trick? or some update needs to take place from level B to C first?

trying to understand this better.

thanks.

thanks larrytrk

I just checked today as i said ealier the software version shows 3.3 so what does 3.3 signify?

also when I checked my pcm version it showd 0504 which is level B. I tried to read through the tsb also.

so you think all i have to do is just try and put int he dvd navigation disc and that should do the trick? or some update needs to take place from level B to C first?

06 can only get to 3.3 firmware , level B.

07 on get C. I think.

New Nav Dvd should work! Insert in Nav. DVD drive and wait and see if it wants to upgrade or just works. Should be no problem.

My 06 is 3.3 level B

Larry T

Edited by larrytrk

thanks.

thanks larrytrk

06 can only get to 3.3 firmware , level B.

07 on get C. I think.

New Nav Dvd should work! Insert in Nav. DVD drive and wait and see if it wants to upgrade or just works. Should be no problem.

My 06 is 3.3 level B

Larry T

thanks, sounds great,

any suggestions where to buy the dvd from or just from the dealor

also one more question, I was reading the tsb for update and it mentions if display show level b 05024xxx only the navigation module needs to be updated and this can be done using the multimedia cd.

so any idea if that would need to be done? as my dealor is around 80 miles from me and he is only sending the navigation dvd out. so that might not work it seems.

Larry T any idea what version is your navigation software as that can help me see if mine is same and than can just get the dvd from them.

thanks for all your help.

also one more question, I was reading the tsb for update and it mentions if display show level b 05024xxx only the navigation module needs to be updated and this can be done using the multimedia cd.

so any idea if that would need to be done? as my dealor is around 80 miles from me and he is only sending the navigation dvd out. so that might not work it seems.

Larry T any idea what version is your navigation software as that can help me see if mine is same and than can just get the dvd from them.

thanks for all your help.

I have the latest version, entire package. $300, with the little faux leather CD case.......

If you need the upgrade I can lend you those discs..If you can't find someone local to borrow from.

The latest Nav DVD disc I believe is 08.2007. or something like that, anything other than that is NOT the latest.

Is he charging you for the disc?