Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear speakers for 2007 Boxster

Hi

I am still looking for answers regarding the rear speakers for my 2007 Boxster. First off I have the storage box that I think can hold the rear speaker kit that is offered for the 986 Boxster and Sunset has them on sale for $129. Second I know that that wont hook up to the 2007 stereo system directly but can they be wireing and plugs be changed to adapt to the 2007 Boxster system. There must be a way after all these are just speakers. Is there any one out there that is speaker and electronic savy and can help me add theses speakers without changing the whole Stero system.

hope someone can assist.

secuuda

this is what my storage box looks like, identical to this one and the speakers are the 986 kit so they look like it would fit into my box, so what about the connections. Can they be changed to work with my 2007.

post-17320-1218167210_thumb.jpgpost-17320-1218167228_thumb.jpgpost-17320-1218167241_thumb.jpg

post-17320-1220671561_thumb.jpg

Edited by secuuda

I have talked with a couple of car shops and have come up with adding the rear speaker kit from the 986 for $129. being that I already have the storage box and also adding a MTX RFL202 amp. at $169.00 they will wire from the bass door speakers and then to the amp and everything will work this way and not have problems with the main amp as theses rear speakers will stand alone and have there own ajustments. I hope this will help for anyone else wanting to add the rear speakers. It will end up costing about $298. not including the labour by the car shop. ther are other way to got but at a much at a larger expense. To me this is an easy fix as Porsche has not done anything as yet in a aftermarket product to fix this problem without going to a bose system.

Thanks Loren for your pictures of the storage boxes.

Secuuda

Edited by secuuda

Any idea how these speakers sound?

Brett

I am hoping they will sound great but I won't no for at least 2 weeks as that is when I will have it all together. If the are not as good. I will replace just the speaker drivers with better quality speakers for a few bucks more.

secuuda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone I have completed the speaker addition to my 2007 useing the 986 rear speaker kit which cost me $118. on ebay and $125. for a mtx rfl 202 amplifier from https://www.12v-electronics.com/catalog/acc...hp?order_id=506 and it works excellent. finally sound all around. the door speakers connected up to the amp and it turns on automatically when the radio or stereo is tunrned on.

the one thing that was a god sent was I had the older storage unit that came with my car so that was a plus and easy install on the speakers while still retaining my rear storage compartment. So any one wanting more sound from the standard 7 speaker sound system this is the way to go. You will see in the picture above the amp in the front trunk which I velcroed on so its removable. Also there was no drilling for the wireing as it ran through the rubber gromets in the front frame between the trunk and battery compartment.

I also change my side intake to the Cayman style and even my wife likes them better. I do have a couple of things left to do but that is in the future.

post-17320-1220047525_thumb.jpg

Edited by secuuda

I actually took the picture from my steps in front of my home so there was no reflection.

I hope this has been helpfull to who ever wants to upgrade without spending a fortune. By the way I did most of the installation of the amp, wiring,and speaker install, at the end I had a proffesional do the final hook up and it cost me $59.

Anyone wanting more information on how I did the install of the amp and such let me know and I would be more than happy to share.

secuuda

• 6 months later...

So Secuuda...you just used speakers that were designed for the 986, and they fit into your 987? Where did you get them from?

Hmm....I really like your idea....I'm wondering if I should do this. Is the sound still good....and everything works perfectly so far?

Mike.

So Secuuda...you just used speakers that were designed for the 986, and they fit into your 987? Where did you get them from?

Hmm....I really like your idea....I'm wondering if I should do this. Is the sound still good....and everything works perfectly so far?

Mike.

From what I understand from all the reading is that you can put it on the CDR 24, but you won't have any front-rear fade. You can probably adjust it from the amp you install.