Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Replacement in 2002 996 C2

Following up on my last thread, figured I'd give an update and ask a few questions....

Here's the last link if interested in background: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21612

So, new owner (5 weeks and 2k miles) of a 2002 996 C2. Love the car, nice price, 30k miles, great options, nice shape (paint was a little swirled, but black is tough - need to really detail it - another topic).

P-dealer CPO'd the car. I had a PPI done by a local indie, great results, little moisture from the RMS, but no drips/leaks. Everything else, great. After running it in a reasonably "spirited" way for a few thousand miles I noticed a slight tap, clunk, rattle - sounded like a water pump bearing going.

So, in the space of 3 days and about 100 miles:

- Inspected underneath - no visible signs of anything the first day.

- Second day, noticed a little leak on the garage floor, figured it was the dreaded RMS.

- 3rd day, ran it by the local indie and he suggested maybe the belt pulleys were going. Made me feel better and it made sense - as that was the kind of mechanical sound that fit the bill.

About 1/2 mile from home - I hear a very loud clattering - big sound - thought it was the truck behind me. Realized it was me.... ughh. Shut the ignition off, coasted about a mile to my neighborhood entrance (live in the mountains). Started it back up to go up the hill and it sounded fine. No CEL, oil pressure okay, nothing else wrong, no loss of power nursing it up the hill that I could notice. Pulled into my garage and opened the trunk - figured I'd see a mess of a belt or something - it was perfect. Then I heard the oil leaking onto the garage floor. It drained about 2 gallons on the floor in the span of about 20 minutes. Cleanup was very enjoyable... <_<

So anyway - called the CPO roadside number and they flatbedded it to my local dealer. It took a few days for them to get it into the shop and diagnose - of course I was on pins and needles. Then I talked to the mechanic - who is awesome - and he said he filled it with oil and it was idling in the shop without missing a beat. Geez, was I getting more antsy - after reading all I can from the boards, I thought it had to be something pretty major. Called the next evening and he was in the process of pulling the engine and told me it "bled out" after he turned the ignition off the night before and he found metal in the filter and oil. I was actually starting to feel a little better - at least I'm not crazy.

Today - got a call near the end of the day and he had separated the engine and sure enough it was a failed Intermediate Shaft Bearing. He waited for authorization and Porsche is replacing the engine under CPO warranty. Should be ready to go next week and I couldn't be much happier given the circumstances. :P

So - guess there's a few things to solicit comments on from the board...

1) I'm having a new clutch kit installed (parts are $655?)

2) Figured I'd replace the coolant tank on my nickel

3) Flush the brake system

4) Make sure new engine mounts are included, or change em at my expense.

Am I missing anything that would be prudent? Again, 32k miles, 2002 C2.

Lastly, I'm a bit disappointed that a car I've coveted for the better part of my life (born in '65) had an engine quit after 32k miles. I couldn't be more relieved about the warranty - and I think it teaches me the lesson that insurance is always a good thing. This is truly one of the most fun cars I've driven, and couldn't be more pleased with the driving experience, on many levels. However - as many have speculated before, what the heck? Yeah, I know the answer to this - it is what it is..... live with it, buy a TT or GT3, or don't bother "playing."

Anyhow - on to better thoughts... I'm going to a DE event in 2 months, nursing it through break-in should be hellish - but I'll get the miles in. Here's my plan for break-in...

1) Oil - Change at 600 and 1,500 miles, then every 5k with mobile 1 0w-40.

2) Keep it under 4.2k rpms for at least the first 1k miles... then maybe up to 5k for the 2nd 1k. Easy on the throttle, and always have the oil thoroughly warm before going even 1/2 throttle. No cruise control, no lugging, use as much engine braking while still being gentle on it.

Okay - comments on the following? I know reliability and break-in opinions have been covered thoroughly, but if you want to chime in, I'm listening, again.

Reliability, "Extra" repairs while I'm at it, and break-in????

Looking forward to hearing from folks - and yes, I do feel fortunate to be driving such an awesome car (with a warranty).

Cheers.

eDoug

:renntech:

Edited by eDoug

You should be feeling a bit froggy. Think of it...youre getting a new engine in there under CPO....and I believe the engine comes with a two year warranty on all the internals. The new engines are much more stout than the older ones becaused they've upgraded the parts that have failed so frequently through the years....obivously the intermediate shaft is all new.....the RMS will be new...you'll be putting in a clutch so that's new, the cylinders should bre sleeved....and whatever else you decided to to "while you're in there". You'll have a much better car than when you startd out....with a much more reliable engine. Were I you, I'd be in hog heaven but for the inconvenience of having it go out on you...but the CPO did a CYA. Glad to see someone covered for one of these failures. There have been quite a few not as fortunate as you insofar as being covered on the repairs.

Overall great news. I can understand being a little sour at what appears to be a premature engine failure (32K miles, yeah, very premature) - but you get a new motor out of it... and if you replace the clutch etc... youre not paying any labor (or at least not as much). Pretty sweet. Glad it worked out.