Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TPM Are they to be believed?

lbp

I have constantly noticed a 3-5 lbp difference between what the TPM reports, as compared with multiple tires gauges, all of which are with 1 lbp of each other.

Porsche tells me there is no way to calibrate TPM, nor is it to be considered absolutely accurate, rather it is only an "indication" of actual pressure.

It's a bit disconcerting when the difference drops into the warning range on the TPM, even though my tire pressure gauges say all is OK.

Any comments?

the TPM is useful for seeing trends....like a tire going down. But I always rely on a good handheld guage to set pressure. If you lower the tire pressures to ~ 28psi cold before a track event that will trigger and error message. I have handled that by starting the "set" process as I head to the grid. As the process procedes during the warm up lap you will then have the actual pressures displayed and can monitor for a tire going down.

• 1 month later...

I consider the TPM to be a royal pain, and I wish Porsche hadn't bothered. Recently on the track this summer with large fluctuations in tire pressure I received all kinds of hate messages including that I had a flat tire. It was aggravating that I could not reset it and had to put up with the distraction until the next day after the car had set overnight. I wouldn't be caught dead without a gage to check pressures manually.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree with all of the comments, TPM is a half-a$$ed solution. The only saving grace may be when it alerts as to a deflating tire, possibly saving from a rollover scenario when otherwise distracted.

The tire gauge info below is not suggested as an enhancement to TPM,but as a good gauge solution if you want accurate (and equal f-f/r-r) tire pressures.

...excellent gauge:

PsiClops air gauge

PS - this is the right one to get:

Psiclops "Extreme"

Dead nuts on every time. I have a tank of nitrogen/hose reel in the garage at home & keep all our vehicles up to pressure with this system. The tank costs about $100/year leased from AirGas. As delivered the tank has 2000 lbs. of pressure, so a tank regulator is also a requirement (about $100) to keep delivery rates to the hose (which is usually rated at 250 or 300lbs.) within hose pressure limits.

As such, if you use this setup or if you have a high pressure air compressor/tank and you do not have a regulator on it, get one of these with the Psiclops gauge:

Psiclops Hands Free Adapter (+$24.95) p/n: PSIHFA02

Otherwise you may damage the gauge if the pressure delivered to the gauge exceeds the gauge rating of 60lbs.

Edited by lbp

In my opinion, TMP is a pain and is useless if you go on a track. I had it disconnected along with the pads wear sensors since they have to be changed so often and are not useful because you can be on the metal on the front breaks without a warning !

Now I am not distracted by false warnings anymore and you have to check your pressure manually and pads wear visually anyway.

Like others have stated, it is inaccurate, especially when reducing pressures for track use. If you switch wheels/tires it also gives you a constant warning on the dash. They are getting too fancy for my purposes - in fact, I hate the central console on the 997 turbos that I have owned - and WTF needs sat/nav and all those buttons, unless they are for adjusting suspension or brake bias from inside the car. It is supposed to be a sports car?

-Gerry

07GT3RS

Yes, I agree with all of the comments, TPM is a half-a$$ed solution. The only saving grace may be when it alerts as to a deflating tire, possibly saving from a rollover scenario when otherwise distracted.

The tire gauge info below is not suggested as an enhancement to TPM,but as a good gauge solution if you want accurate (and equal f-f/r-r) tire pressures.

...excellent gauge:

PsiClops air gauge

PS - this is the right one to get:

Psiclops "Extreme"

Dead nuts on every time. I have a tank of nitrogen/hose reel in the garage at home & keep all our vehicles up to pressure with this system. The tank costs about $100/year leased from AirGas. As delivered the tank has 2000 lbs. of pressure, so a tank regulator is also a requirement (about $100) to keep delivery rates to the hose (which is usually rated at 250 or 300lbs.) within hose pressure limits.

As such, if you use this setup or if you have a high pressure air compressor/tank and you do not have a regulator on it, get one of these with the Psiclops gauge:

Psiclops Hands Free Adapter (+$24.95) p/n: PSIHFA02

Otherwise you may damage the gauge if the pressure delivered to the gauge exceeds the gauge rating of 60lbs.

Thanks for the link. Me and my friends were at the track and we all

check our gages for a constant pressure. Most of the gages were within three psi of

each other. Becuse of our desire, we started using our own gages for our own cars. It

truly would be nice to have one acurate gage.

Paul

In my opinion, TMP is a pain and is useless if you go on a track. I had it disconnected along with the pads wear sensors since they have to be changed so often and are not useful because you can be on the metal on the front breaks without a warning !

Now I am not distracted by false warnings anymore and you have to check your pressure manually and pads wear visually anyway.

I have the pads wear sensors disconnected and tie wrapped, how do I disconnect the tire pressure warning system for track wheels?

My track wheels have the sensors, but it keeps giving flat tire warnings all the time even at higher (Too high for the track) PSI.

Or can it be reprogrammed so that it just shows the rough indication of a tire pressure without all the warnings?

Edited by TRAKCAR