Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clamshell problem

I recently bought a 2002 S. Tonight I was putting the top up when I heard the mechanism straining behind me. I looked back and saw the clamshell was coming up unevenly and immediately stopped raising the top. I assumed I had a cable problem since I've read so much about them, but further examination showed that the plastic trim piece clipped to the clamshell arm had somehow gotten jammed between the edge of the car and the bottom of the convertible top, and the arm used to push the clamshell fore and aft had popped off the ball on the rear end of the v-arm of the transmission. I lowered the top partway and the plastic part freed itself and I was able to remove it -it is undamaged. But I can't get the socket at the forward end of the arm to go back onto the ball, and I'm afraid to pound at it.

Maurice posted an illustration in another thread from February 08 entitled "Ball joint advice, Ball is loose" that illustrated the convertible top mechanism parts. On this diagram the arm I'm talking about is number 10 and the ball is number 8.

My question is: How do I get the ball back into the socket? When I put it back together as best I could and carefully raised the top, it went up fine, the clamshell did what it was supposed to, so I'm not without a car.

I recently bought a 2002 S. Tonight I was putting the top up when I heard the mechanism straining behind me. I looked back and saw the clamshell was coming up unevenly and immediately stopped raising the top. I assumed I had a cable problem since I've read so much about them, but further examination showed that the plastic trim piece clipped to the clamshell arm had somehow gotten jammed between the edge of the car and the bottom of the convertible top, and the arm used to push the clamshell fore and aft had popped off the ball on the rear end of the v-arm of the transmission. I lowered the top partway and the plastic part freed itself and I was able to remove it -it is undamaged. But I can't get the socket at the forward end of the arm to go back onto the ball, and I'm afraid to pound at it.

Maurice posted an illustration in another thread from February 08 entitled "Ball joint advice, Ball is loose" that illustrated the convertible top mechanism parts. On this diagram the arm I'm talking about is number 10 and the ball is number 8.

My question is: How do I get the ball back into the socket? When I put it back together as best I could and carefully raised the top, it went up fine, the clamshell did what it was supposed to, so I'm not without a car.

Good job in stopping the operation of the top before any real damage could be done!

It's really just a matter of squeezing (pressing) the metal ball cup lower end of the hydraulic pushrod onto the metal ball while the V-Lever is in the correct degree of rotation.

If you didn't rotate the V-levers (i.e., kept the button pushed) when the pushrod popped off, it should be lined up.

If not, you can rotate the V-lever on that side by spinnig the inner metal cable with a cordless drill (set on lowest torque setting) until the metal ball lines up with the ball cup.

It takes some effort because the hydraulic pushrod is under some tension in some of the positions of the clamshell, so be careful.

Also, while you are at it, make sure that the metal ball (Part #8 in the diagram) is very securely screwed onto the V-lever (14mm thin hex head IIRC).

Since you identified the cause of the malfunction (the black plastic trim piece getting in the way), it's unlikely you will have that problem again.

Regards, Maurice.

Is there a trick to getting it back on? I tried pushing it back on and couldn't get it to go? Am I just being too cautious? Is there a tool that is needed or would make this easier? Or do I just need to grit my teeth and crank on it?

Thanks again...

Is there a trick to getting it back on? I tried pushing it back on and couldn't get it to go? Am I just being too cautious? Is there a tool that is needed or would make this easier? Or do I just need to grit my teeth and crank on it?

Thanks again...

It's a tight fit. I am not aware of any special Porsche tool for getting this back on.

You can try using a pairl of channel lock pliers as that will give you direct perpendicular force on the two parts you are trying to squeeze together. Wrap some electrical tape around the jaws first to avoid marring the surfaces.

Crank on it!

Regards, Maurice.

Well, I seem to have managed it, although it really took a lot of force and it still doesn't look like the other side. On that one, the socket is all the way down over the ball, on the one I just put back on, you can still see a little of the ball and the shaft it sits on. It's really hard to tell, but the ball piece (#8) might actually be slightly bent. It seems to be back on pretty firmly and is working fine, though. I wonder if I should order a new ball piece and put that on just to be safe?

Well, I seem to have managed it, although it really took a lot of force and it still doesn't look like the other side. On that one, the socket is all the way down over the ball, on the one I just put back on, you can still see a little of the ball and the shaft it sits on. It's really hard to tell, but the ball piece (#8) might actually be slightly bent. It seems to be back on pretty firmly and is working fine, though. I wonder if I should order a new ball piece and put that on just to be safe?

Where the top is concerned, it always pays to play it safe because of the possibility of massive $$$$ damage if it malfunctions.

Before you order that part #8, be sure that the problem is not with deformation of the ball cup end of the hydraulic pushrod.

Regards, Maurice.

It came loose again, but this time I was able to get it to pop back on the way it should be. I am going to keep an eye on it, and because that part just doesn't look quite right to me, I think I'm going to buy one so I can just swap it out and feel comfortable about it. How do I go about finding the Porsche part number for the ball piece (and the lift arm that goes over it while I'm at it)? I see people on the forums referring to PET and it sounds like they're talking about illustrated parts breakdowns or something like that. Is that the right source, and where do I get one if it is?

Thanks!