Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Shifter for 996 4S (question for Loren)

Hello Loren,

I was looking to install a Short Shifter on my Porsche 996 4S mod. 2004 and need you advice to chose the best option:

1. Buy the genuine Porsche Short Shifter P/N. 000.044.700.26 (it is very expensive and require a modification on the gear shift bracket which is not reversible)

2. Buy the B&M Short Shift from B&M Racing P/N: 45135 (it seems to be the best after market product compared to others that are very cheap around 50 USD and is the half price of the genuine one above).

I would appreciate if you could provide the best advice and let me know if it is also compatible on Porsche Boxters 986...

Many Thanks in advance for youe help

Liberatod

Edited by liberatod

• Admin

I have had a B&M shifter for 8 years and have been very happy with it.

That model B&M shifter will work on:

97-'07 Boxster (986 all models)

'05-'07 911 (997 all models)

'98-'07 911 (996 all models)

'05-'07 Boxster, Cayman (987 all models)

$50 sounds too cheap though - are you sure it is all there.

Street price for a new B&M is around $199.

I have had a B&M shifter for 8 years and have been very happy with it.

That model B&M shifter will work on:

97-'07 Boxster (986 all models)

'05-'07 911 (997 all models)

'98-'07 911 (996 all models)

'05-'07 Boxster, Cayman (987 all models)

$50 sounds too cheap though - are you sure it is all there.

Street price for a new B&M is around $199.

Hello Lauren,

I apologize for the misunderstanding; in fact the 50 USD was related to cheap aftermarket Short Shifters available on EBay.

The B&M Short Shifter is half price of the genuine part (000.044.700.26)... and is available at BMracing web site http://www.bmracing.com for USD 270.

Thank you very much for your prompt response and good feedback...

I will order the B&M Short Shifter.

Liberatod

Just a FWIW, but I had the B&M on my 2002 C2 for a few months and tired of it pretty quick...1st was always a bear, and the shifts were just too short and clunky. I think it would be great on the track, but it just never felt right to me. MAYBE I just never got it dialed in ( I still have it, in the carrier, in case I want to try again.) I installed the 997 stock shifter which was cheaper than the B&M, easier to install, and reduced the throws roughly by 25% percent. Feels great, maybe a scosh longer than ideal for me, but worlds better than the 996, and better "feeling" than the B&M. Best price new from Suncoast.