Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dreaded RMS issues need quick answer

My car (2001 C2, 6spd 37k 1st RMS leak) is in for the dreaded RMS leak. I stopped by today at lunch to see the progress (they have had it for a week but just started on it yesterday - that is another story). I walk in and I see some things that looks strange...(1) the car up on the lift (normal), (2) engine on a bench (hmmm I thought they just dropped the transmission) and (3) transmission on the floor.

I am losing confidence at this point. I go over and talk with the service advisor. It seems the major leak is from the intermediate shaft below the RMS but the RMS is "seeping" a little. I ask about the special tool for inserting for determining tollerances and I get a glassed over look with the comment "if it is a mandatory tool from Porsche we have it"...ok I am not feeling good...next I ask about the revised installation of the seal and the necessary tool and the most recent version of the RMS. Once again I get a glassed over look with a similar answer. I am a little concerned with getting this service done properly. Suggestions or help?

Additionally I think I am going to have the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced while they "are in there". What is the recommendation for replacing the flywheel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I would do multiple searches for some of these answers but I am under a time restraint to decide about the flywheel. Thanks in advance.

• Admin
Additionally I think I am going to have the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced while they "are in there". What is the recommendation for replacing the flywheel.
Unless the clutch disk was worn through to the rivets I doubt there is any damage to the flywheel. I would just clean it and re-install it.