Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shifter problem

2002Boxster S 34,500 miles.

Over the past 4 weeks, my shifter has become "iffy" when cold It doesn't want to go all the way into 2nd from 1st. If not careful to pull it firmly into 2nd, it will grind gears. The 2nd - 3rd shift is a bit off-center, and wants to hang up between 3rd and 5th and not engage. As soon as there is some heat in the engine, it is MUCH better, overall, probably due to thermal expansion.

I think the cables need adjustment, and may have stretched. What do others think?

Are they adjusted at the shifter or transmission? If at the shifter, I believe I have to take off the console first. Correct?

Then what? My Bentley Boxster manual completely ignores the issue, unfortunately.

Any and all opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Eric Spooner

Edited by Loren
reduced font size

Over the past 4 weeks, my shifter has become "iffy" when cold It doesn't want to go all the way into 2nd from 1st. If not careful to pull it firmly into 2nd, it will grind gears. The 2nd - 3rd shift is a bit off-center, and wants to hang up between 3rd and 5th and not engage. As soon as there is some heat in the engine, it is MUCH better, overall, probably due to thermal expansion.

I think the cables need adjustment, and may have stretched. What do others think?

Are they adjusted at the shifter or transmission? If at the shifter, I believe I have to take off the console first. Correct?

Then what? My Bentley Boxster manual completely ignores the issue, unfortunately.

Eric Spooner

I just got a similar problem fixed on my 1999. It was the shift shaft plug on the RH side aft and above the axle output on the transmission. You problem seems similar enough to what I was experiencing to warrant a look. I thought it was an adjustment also until it started to leak. If it is the culprit, re-torque after applying some lock-tite. So far, so good for mine. Good Luck.

Eric Spooner

I just got a similar problem fixed on my 1999. It was the shift shaft plug on the RH side aft and above the axle output on the transmission. You problem seems similar enough to what I was experiencing to warrant a look. I thought it was an adjustment also until it started to leak. If it is the culprit, re-torque after applying some lock-tite. So far, so good for mine. Good Luck.

Ha! I was looking EZ Aire's post to give this guy as a consideration with fluid concerns!

The fact that it appears to go away after the car warms that makes me think it is not the cables. But to answer his question, yes the center console needs to come up and the two cables are right there. They lift out of locking sleves and you simply move them up or down a thread at a time until shifing concerns improve.

Look at this write up for how to pull the cover and find the cables. Since it's the short shift procedure it doesn't cover adjusting those cables, but it's as easy as I state. Mark here you start with some white out and go a step each way. When I reassembled system after install a short shifter I was off about two thread which made getting into R very difficult. Two thread is all it took.

Link: http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?p=1...linear#post1714

Eric Spooner

Your 1999 would be a 5-speed transmission, probably made by ZF. I believe the 6-speed is made by Aisin in Japan.

Wouldn't this be a different setup? I have not had time to check the presence of the shift shaft plug or location as yet,

so do not know, but will tomorrow night.

Thanks for the response. I will let you know.

Eric