Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Yousief's OBC hack

• Moderators

The funny thing about "Yoseif's Hack" is that it did not work on his own 2001 2.7 until I got Peter Smith involved.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...0&hl=Yoseif

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...7&hl=Yoseif

Then he sold wiring harnesses for the switch and the crimps sometimes fell apart - and I needed to fixed a few.

The OBC retrofits works on all 986/996 models. except for a 2001 Boxster 2.7....

post-4-1222650798_thumb.jpg

post-4-1222650817_thumb.jpg

I actually did this over the weekend - well, sort of... I am still waiting for the switch (I used the footwell light switch) to arrive, but I completed everything else. Did a quick test and was able to cycle through all of the menu, so once the switch arrives, it should just be a matter of minutes to complete the job. This was on a 2000 996.

A few tips:

> The spade connector for the ground should be a bit larger than the part number called out.

> Be sure to protect the dash and steering column when removing the cluster, there are quite a few "protrusions" that can damage the leather.

> Be extra careful if your interior is Savanna Beige, if you breathe on it wrong - it scratches (particularly the hazard trim).

> As far as the step that rotates and flips the pod onto the dash, it's just as easy to remove the pod entirely, once the three plugs are removed from the cluster, the only remaining wires are the hazard socket which slides out easily.

> Recommend doing a search here to find out how to remove the hazard switch if you have not done it before. This is a good start, read down to post 5.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...5&hl=hazard

• Admin
The OBC retrofits works on all 986/996 models. except for a 2001 Boxster 2.7....

Are you serious? :huh:

That is exactly what I drive and since my signal turn lever is broken I was considering the OBC hack!

Best,

Gus

Contributing Member AnneH has done the 4th stalk retrofit on a 2001 Boxster - so I am sure it can be done.

I don't know why Toolpants singled out the 2001 2.7 as the one where the OBC hack does not work.

The OBC hack works (both the 4 stalk and the button hack) on 2001 2.7. I have the button hack on my base 2001, and interestingly enough, TP helped me install it!

Here is proof:

post-21656-1222808475_thumb.jpg

Maybe TP forgot because of all the beer he had that day :D :

post-21656-1222808524_thumb.jpg

I don't know why Toolpants singled out the 2001 2.7 as the one where the OBC hack does not work.

The OBC hack works (both the 4 stalk and the button hack) on 2001 2.7. I have the button hack on my base 2001, and interestingly enough, TP helped me install it!

Here is proof:

post-21656-1222808475_thumb.jpg

Maybe TP forgot because of all the beer he had that day :D :

post-21656-1222808524_thumb.jpg

Ahh, I think I know why TP said the hack won't work for 2001 MY - he was probably referring to Yoseif's instructions, where one of the part numbers for a wire is incorrect. It needs to end in 10, but ends in 09. That makes the wire not a perfect fit into the 2001 MY clusters. We ran into this when TP was helping me do the install.

What reminded me of this was going to the threads TP included in his responses.