Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Pedal is "stucking" on 97 Boxster

Hi everybody,

this is my first post and i guess i have a kind of "unique" problem with my brake pedal. I´m from Germany so please excuse my english.

I have a 1997 Boxster with about 75000 miles on the clock. The problem is, that the brake pedal is sometimes "stucking", which means that it doesn´t come back the hole way, so i have to put my foot behind the pedal and move it back to release the brakes from decelaration. This most of the time (only) happens when i use the brakes at low speed, not when i´m driving at higher speed and use the brakes harder.

I used some spray oil here and there and released the nuts betwenn the master brake cylinder and the brake booster, which made the pedal going easier backwards for 1-2 days. My mechanic - he´s not familiar with Porsche - told me, i should intall a new master brake cylinder to solve the problem.

What are you guys thinking about that?

Thanks a lot,

Simon

Edited by Simon2

• Admin
Thanks a lot for the answer. Is this like a recall and does that mean, i can bring the car to the Porsche dealer and they will fix that for free?

No it is not a recall. It is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which says this "could" be a problem on some cars and how to fix it. It would only be free if your car is under warranty or was covered by a Porsche CPO contract.

ToolPants - thanks a lot for the link. Thant´s what i was looking for.

I´m thinking about buying a used brake booster. I know that the master brake cylinder, who was built by LUCAS, is the same one that were used in a lot of AUDI and VW models .

Does anybody know, which part# from AUDI or VW is the same like the Porsche brake booster? I was thinking about part # 8D0 612 105 G ???

I bought the special "Porsche" Torx 45 today, so that i could remove the lower screw that holds the brake booster and - there is no rust on the screw. So it looks like it´s not the brake booster. What else could it be - the master brake cylinder?

Today, i took away the vacuum connection from the booster, to check if there´s water inside the booster. I put a long small piece of plastic inside, took it back and there was water on it.

Then i put a flexible tube inside the booster and sucked. No questions - it was not tasting very good...

But at least, there was about half a liter of water inside the booster. This was caused by a blocked hole near the batterie, where the water could not go through. So the water stayed up there to an amount, where it could go through the bad sealing into the booster.

The problem is still there. So i will buy a new booster and install it soon.

So if you also had a problem with the blocked water hole and your brakes are still fine, but you want to ckeck the booster - just take away the vacuum connetction and look for water inside.

17. okt 2008: I received my brake booster today, a used one from 2000 boxster. I could install it without disconecting the brakelines from the master brake cylinder. Now the car brakes perfect. Thanks to everybody who took care of my problem and helped me out on that!

Edited by Simon2