Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Collaped Water Hose

This is for you Loren.

I have a 1999 C2 6-speed. I removed the air filter housing and noticed that a water hose (possibly 2" ID), on the left hand side - running vertically, is collapsed in the middle of the hose. The car runs fine and no issues w/ cooling.

Why would it be collapsed?

• Admin

Hmm... a 9 year old hose...

Age and wear is one possibility, Or a water pump that has broken impeller blades (now stuck somewhere).

I would replace the hose (before it blows out) and see if the new one collapses too. If it does, then you may have a larger problem.

Age and wear is one possibility, Or a water pump that has broken impeller blades (now stuck somewhere).

I would replace the hose (before it blows out) and see if the new one collapses too. If it does, then you may have a larger problem.

I'll do that. Most likely, it is the original hose. First I'll warm the car up to operating temperature and see if the hose 'opens up'. I had the air box out when the engine was cold and noticed it. I dropped a screw into the engine compartment and you know how fun that can be......

Thank You,

Paul

Edited by etwd

• Admin

I'll do that. Most likely, it is the original hose. First I'll warm the car up to operating temperature and see if the hose 'opens up'. I had the air box out when the engine was cold and noticed it. I dropped a screw into the engine compartment and you know how fun thait can be......

Thank You,

Paul

One of my best friends... ;)

post-1-1223331359_thumb.png

Loren,

I ordered the hose. Curiosity, what did you mean by larger problems? Obviously, the hose is cavitating, but I don't know what would cause that. The hose is about 18" long w/ 10" of it collapsed.

When I install the hose, does the entire system need to be flushed? The current coolant appears to be green/yellow. When I called SunCoast Porshe, I was told the current coolant color is red. Can the two coolants be mixed together?

• Admin

I meant it is still possible that you have a bad water pump. You will likely know when you remove the hose. If you see gray plastic pieces (from the water pump impeller) then you should replace the water pump and flush the cooling system.

Old Porsche coolant yellow/green.

New Porsche coolant red/pink.

Yes, Porsche coolants can be mixed.

I meant it is still possible that you have a bad water pump. You will likely know when you remove the hose. If you see gray plastic pieces (from the water pump impeller) then you should replace the water pump and flush the cooling system.

Old Porsche coolant yellow/green.

New Porsche coolant red/pink.

Yes, Porsche coolants can be mixed.

Thanks again Loren. I called my mechanic and he said that it was a bad radiator cap. Is that a possibility too?

Paul

Hmm... the system has a pressure relief valve too.

If your cap part number is not 01 or newer then it should be replaced. I guess you can give it a try and let us know if it works.

I'll do that........

Thanks

If your cap part number is not 01 or newer then it should be replaced. I guess you can give it a try and let us know if it works.

Loren,

The part # is 996 106 447 01. Obviously, it is an 01 cap.

Loren,

The part # is 996 106 447 01. Obviously, it is an 01 cap.

Loren,

I changed the cap, per my mechanic and the hose has not collapsed since. Will be checking daily.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...