Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

questions for 996 Cab owners

Just purchased a 2000 Cab C2. I have some questions regarding a few issues.

1. There is an extreme rattle coming from where the roof attaches to the windshield when the top is up when driving. I know that it shouldn't rattle like this. I'm sure this connection point gets worn with age. Is there a fix for this? A repair "kit" of some kind? The roof is in excellent condition.

2. How do I care for the roof? What is the best product to use? How often? Tips?

3. Any other advice for the Cabriolet would be greatly appreciated.

I had a C2 coupe before this and just want to learn how to maintain the Cab properly. I'm super anal about maintanence and care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Phillipj

post-7267-1223915233_thumb.jpg

1. There is an extreme rattle coming from where the roof attaches to the windshield when the top is up when driving. I know that it shouldn't rattle like this. I'm sure this connection point gets worn with age. Is there a fix for this? A repair "kit" of some kind? The roof is in excellent condition.

See 996 TSB 4/03 6110, Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top, dated 5/23/03. The parts are about $60 from Sunset. I just helped a friend do this with his '99 cab and he said his rattles are gone. My post was here.

See 996 TSB 4/03 6110, Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top, dated 5/23/03. The parts are about $60 from Sunset. I just helped a friend do this with his '99 cab and he said his rattles are gone. My post was here.

Thanks Geoff!

This site is awesome. Really appreciate your help

Phillipj

1. I had a rattle on my 99 convertible and it was because the middle section with cabin lights and where the middle latch attaches to was loose. After I tightened it, all the rattles stopped.

KL

Just purchased a 2000 Cab C2. I have some questions regarding a few issues.

2. How do I care for the roof? What is the best product to use? How often? Tips?

3. Any other advice for the Cabriolet would be greatly appreciated.

I had a C2 coupe before this and just want to learn how to maintain the Cab properly. I'm super anal about maintanence and care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Phillipj

I have an 04 C4S Cab and my cab top mechanism does not look anything like the picture that was provided. My top has a hole-type receptacle in the top of the roof above the windshield. My top really rattled as well. However, I was still covered under my warranty, and the dealer just put a new part to replace the old part. I have also heard of using a product called Krytox ( Porsche # 999-917-557-00), which is a grease that you use to rub on the rubber lining that meets the roof to reduce squeeking. As far as cleaning the top I have used several products. I have used Cabriotop, which come in a spray bottle. Problem is using a spray can to apply, means that you have to tape off the paint , glass and plastic parts which come into contact with the top. What I am using now, are the 303 products that are waterproofing and sunproofing as well. I clean the top with 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner ( let dry throughly) and then use the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Both products come in pump spray bottles, so I use them in the liquid form. Follow the directions on the cleaner, either diluting or full strength. However I use the 303 Fabric Guard as as a liquid, putting some in a plastic cup and using a foam paint brush to apply the fabric guard. This way you do not have to tape off any parts and just wipe immediately if you get some on the paint, etc. Looks good and really is a good waterproofer as well. If it is really discolored, you can use a cab top black ( see Google), but I have not needed to since I do this process about twice a year. Hope this helps