Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'99 cab missing part

A good friend with a '99 cab showed me his top tonight when he came over for dinner and asked me what he needed to do to fix it. I've got a Boxster, and the top looks a little different from what I'm used to. The passenger side looks OK, but the driver side looks like part is missing. When the car is driven, there's a bit of wind noise above the driver's head because the top doesn't seal completely.

Here's the driver side:

post-84-1219036848_thumb.jpg

and here's the passenger side:

post-84-1219036880_thumb.jpg

Do these latches just come out by unscrewing the 2 torx bolts?

From the old Porsche online PET, it looks like this is the part labeled 8 (centering journal), and part #9 (cap) is what fell off:

post-84-1219037402_thumb.jpg

Part 8 is 996-561-605-01 (left side, right side would be 606) and part 9 is 996-561-705-01 (left side, right side would be 706). Did I track down the correct part numbers? Do I just replace part number 9 that fell off, should I get both parts 8 and 9, and is it advisable to replace both sides if one has a problem? When I look at the retail prices, it looks like the -01 version of both the centering journal and the cap have been superceded by an updated -02. Should I just help him replace both with all new updated pieces? Since the parts have been superceded, do I have to replace the centering journal with the updated part to be able to use the new cap?

A good friend with a '99 cab showed me his top tonight when he came over for dinner and asked me what he needed to do to fix it. I've got a Boxster, and the top looks a little different from what I'm used to. The passenger side looks OK, but the driver side looks like part is missing. When the car is driven, there's a bit of wind noise above the driver's head because the top doesn't seal completely.

Here's the driver side:

post-84-1219036848_thumb.jpg

and here's the passenger side:

post-84-1219036880_thumb.jpg

Do these latches just come out by unscrewing the 2 torx bolts?

From the old Porsche online PET, it looks like this is the part labeled 8 (centering journal), and part #9 (cap) is what fell off:

post-84-1219037402_thumb.jpg

Part 8 is 996-561-605-01 (left side, right side would be 606) and part 9 is 996-561-705-01 (left side, right side would be 706). Did I track down the correct part numbers? Do I just replace part number 9 that fell off, should I get both parts 8 and 9, and is it advisable to replace both sides if one has a problem? When I look at the retail prices, it looks like the -01 version of both the centering journal and the cap have been superceded by an updated -02. Should I just help him replace both with all new updated pieces? Since the parts have been superceded, do I have to replace the centering journal with the updated part to be able to use the new cap?

I took a look at my '99 cab and both sides look the same. It appears your friend's car is missing part 9 on the one side. I can't really tell if you can replace part 9 without replacing part 8. From a quick parts search, it looks like you have to buy part 8 & 9 as one. Pelican Parts has a price of $40.25, but you may be able to find it cheaper. Not sure if this helps, but best I can do.

Will

I took a look at my '99 cab and both sides look the same. It appears your friend's car is missing part 9 on the one side. I can't really tell if you can replace part 9 without replacing part 8. From a quick parts search, it looks like you have to buy part 8 & 9 as one. Pelican Parts has a price of $40.25, but you may be able to find it cheaper. Not sure if this helps, but best I can do.

Thanks for taking the time to look and confirm what I suspected. I called Sunset this afternoon and indeed the -01 parts have been superceded by the -02 revision, and the cap is not available separately. The -02 revision came out in the 2003 model year, and I'm assuing it has the cap as an integral piece. Sunset price is $29.85 each side, they are in the US, and since the parts were revised they recommended replacing both sides to make sure both sides match up when closed (probably unnecessary, but cheap insurance).

Loren (or anyone else who might know) - do I just unscrew the two torx bolts to replace, and what is the proper torque for retightening the bolts?

I did a little more research on this tonight. This site is amazing :renntech: and there is no question the cost to be a contributing renntech member is the greatest bargain in the Porsche world!

996 TSB 4/03 6110, Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top, dated May 23, 2003 addresses this very issue and describes the old and new parts. The new piece, which includes the cap, eliminates the rattling noise on the cab top by the windshield frame. Loren - thank you again for adding a search capability to the TSB library!

I have the whole 986 service manual set, and the Boxster spec for tightening the self-tapping screws on the centring pin on the roof frame is 7Nm (or 5 ftlb) (again a big "thank you" to Loren for pointing out the complete workshop manual set was available from Sunset for only $200). It looks like the same screws are used with the 996, so 5 ftlb should be the right tightness.

Interestingly enough, I found a nearly identical TSB for the Boxster, and my car (an '01) DOES sometime make this awful rattling noise, which I always assumed was from the top cables. I think I might consider adding the Boxster updated part to my order from Sunset if it's not too late, to try getting rid of the rattling noise!

I did a little more research on this tonight. This site is amazing :renntech: and there is no question the cost to be a contributing renntech member is the greatest bargain in the Porsche world!

996 TSB 4/03 6110, Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top, dated May 23, 2003 addresses this very issue and describes the old and new parts. The new piece, which includes the cap, eliminates the rattling noise on the cab top by the windshield frame. Loren - thank you again for adding a search capability to the TSB library!

I have the whole 986 service manual set, and the Boxster spec for tightening the self-tapping screws on the centring pin on the roof frame is 7Nm (or 5 ftlb) (again a big "thank you" to Loren for pointing out the complete workshop manual set was available from Sunset for only $200). It looks like the same screws are used with the 996, so 5 ftlb should be the right tightness.

Interestingly enough, I found a nearly identical TSB for the Boxster, and my car (an '01) DOES sometime make this awful rattling noise, which I always assumed was from the top cables. I think I might consider adding the Boxster updated part to my order from Sunset if it's not too late, to try getting rid of the rattling noise!

I replaced the same parts myself and the rattling stopped immediately. About a month later I started hearing a squeeking sound from both sides. It went away after I applied Krytox on both pieces.

KL

• 2 weeks later...

I was gone last week on a business trip when my parts arrived, and went through my goodies from Sunset this weekend planning to replace parts. Unfortunately, the part numbers didn't match the numbers on the plastic envelopes (plastic envelopes were correct) - I suspect it's a problem with the PCNA distribution system and not Sunset. Before pulling things apart, maybe somebody knows whether the parts have been superseded from the TSB, online PET and renntech parts list, but not documented anywhere available to me. I ordered one each of 996-561-605-02 and 996-561-606-02, but received 997-561-605-00 and 997-561-606-00. Anyone know for certain whether the 997 cab parts are interchangeable with the 996 ones?

My Boxster parts were also wrong - just the old ones the TSB said make the rattling noise! So some parts have to go back no matter what :angry:

• Admin

My Sept 2008 PET does not reference them as replacements but the price list update is not out yet and sometimes that is where they show cross-references too.

Have you compared them with the old ones? Could be as simple as a material change to reduce wear, etc.

My Sept 2008 PET does not reference them as replacements but the price list update is not out yet and sometimes that is where they show cross-references too.

Have you compared them with the old ones? Could be as simple as a material change to reduce wear, etc.

It's a friend's car, so not here until we try to do the swap. I have to call Sunset about the wrong Boxster parts anyway (they sent me the older version that the TSB says to replace), so they might know whether they're a replacement or not. I'm just hoping to have some info when I talk to them.

Any idea whether Porsche is going to start updating their online PET at some point, or whether it will remain stuck in 2006?

• 2 weeks later...

I hate it when you never find out what happened, so here's the wrap-up to the parts story. Sunset quickly sent me another order (great service, as always), and they checked the part numbers on the plastic envelopes for correctness before shipping. Same story are before - plastic envelope part numbers matched, but parts inside didn't. After calling them up, I learned that Porsche doesn't always change the part number on the castings (in the case of the 986 parts, Sunset said the 01 rev might have the 00 part number) and I need to go by what the plastic bag part number from the distribution center says.

The 997 stamped part (in the bag with a 996 part number label) fit the '99 996 cab perfectly, so the 997 parts do seem to be interchangeable with the 996 cab pieces, and the TSB didn't get updated to reflect newer part numbers.

• 4 years later...

I am very happy that you guys have found a way to stop the rattling noises in your cars. Unfortunately, the creaking noise in mine come from behind my head and are quite rubbery/squeaking. It occurs when going over bumps and also when, from inside the car, I push the roof out with my hand (apply pressure just above the plastic window). I have a 2001 2.7 Boxster. If anyone hears anything that works for this problem, Please post here. I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a problem with an incredibly annoying squeaking noise coming from driver side near the windshield area. Drove me insane! After seeing this post I checked and the rubber covering was missing on the driver side. Had it replaced at Porsche dealer in Melbourne, cost of part $18 Australian. Sound is now gone. Thanks heaps for the post. Information was invaluable.

There is a TSB for 996 cab about a squeak above the drivers head. There is a black rubber spacer block that squeaks against the top frame on bumpy roads.

Mine was very loud when temps got below ~40. I put a little silicone grease on mine and it stopped the noise. The TSB suggests "Gummiphlege" SP?

Maybe the Boxster has similar blocks. Open the top 1/2 way and look.