Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspicious Dealership Inspection

Can any DIY'er give me your opinion on this? I took my '01 Boxster w/ 95K mi to the dealership recently with known issues when I bought her. There's a distinct "rubbing" noise coming from the rear. The sound seems to be in conjunction with the rotation of the tire/s.

I took it the dealership here in good 'ol Saint Louie, Missouri and got a report after asking for a complete and total list of things that needed to be repaired or replace....and I specifically mentioned the above issue with the noise from the rear.

Among the things they told me, was that I had a broken motor mount and inner tie rod that needed replacement. Can these two issues cause the sound coming from the rear?

I'm skeptical because several things I know that need replacement, like third brake lights or a short in the radio were left out. Plus, they told me it would take 3 hours. They gave it back to me after only 1 hour of looking at it.

I've already replaced the ignition switch (their cost = $489.68 parts/labor) for about $450 less than what it would've cost to have them do it. I'm leaning towards not taking it back to them if anyone can dispute their findings regarding the sound from the car and what they found. They never even really confirmed that either of the two above issues were causing the sound.

I appreciate anyone's input!

Joe

St. Louis, MO

The noise can be from the motor mount. More so since it is a common problem and you have a lot of miles.

A local one man independent shop replaced 3 of them in a short period of time, to give you an idea of how common it is.

That's what I was leaning towards, but couldn't get the confirmation from the dealership.

I'm gonna put her up on jacks this weekend and have a look see. Can you tell me any tale-tell signs to look for? Will anything be looser on one side vs. the other to know exactly which mount I need to spend my time on?

AND ONE MORE QUESTION. About buying a new one (if I can't repair it). Are all the mounts the same for the Boxster or are front ones different from back...left different from right? May sound stupid, but I want to be sure of everything I do with this baby before I waste money or do any damage learning to DIY.

Thanks again!

Edited by zappbranigan

That's what I was leaning towards, but couldn't get the confirmation from the dealership.

I'm gonna put her up on jacks this weekend and have a look see. Can you tell me any tale-tell signs to look for? Will anything be looser on one side vs. the other to know exactly which mount I need to spend my time on?

AND ONE MORE QUESTION. About buying a new one (if I can't repair it). Are all the mounts the same for the Boxster or are front ones different from back...left different from right? May sound stupid, but I want to be sure of everything I do with this baby before I waste money or do any damage learning to DIY.

Thanks again!

You can either replace the motor mount with an OEM part, repair it yourself with a kit made for that purpose, or buy a remanufactured mount.

Here's a link to a set of comprehensive DIY instructions with excellent photos for replacing a broken motor mount: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/DIY%2...ne%20Mount.html

Good luck, and keep DIY'in.

Regards, Maurice.

this doesnt happen to be Plaza Porsche.....GRRRRRRR

I had a MAJOR problem with them about 3 months ago when i purchased my new to me boxster.....scheduled a prebuy, the seller took the car in for a prebuy, as I was making my way (flying) to st louis.....they supposedly looked at it....charged my credit card 125.00 for the hour of labor. I took delivery, all looked good....the tech talked to me on the phone, told me it looked good, rms had been replaced, no leakage, only issue being a loud radiator fan......got the car back home, took it in for an oil change at my local indie...when i picked it up they ask where i had been offroading in the thing, then proceed to show me bent lower control and track arm, and a missing underpanel, as well as a bent left front wheel. I call the plaza folks, and wonder why i paid 125 for a prebuy...they say, they never did a prebuy...they only reset an airbag light, and shrug all responsibility......even though i called, set the appt for a prebuy, paid for the prebuy, and was verbally told by them (the tech) that all checked out ok......so if its plaza porsche in st louis.....you have reason to be suspicious......if its the other one, well i gotta vent, and the bad press serves plaza porsche right. thats P-L-A-Z-A P-O-R-S-C-H-E.......in st louis :D

No, this was Parktown Imports...I assume that's what you meant by the "other one".

BUT...I'm glad you posted, because I was thinking about heading to Plaza for a second opinion on the vehicle's overall condition. I'll think I'll keep looking around now!

And thanks for the thread re: repairing the motor mount. Good stuff. I think I'll tackle this repair by myself based on everyone's great info. If I survive, I'll post back with results...good or bad!