Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Disable factory alarm?

My '99 Boxster (US, 2.5L, 5-speed) has some serious alarm issues. I have searched this forum high and low and have tried all the tips and suggestions for trouble shooting alarm systems. Is there any way to just disable the alarm system completely while I sort things out? I was leaving it unlocked in my driveway to cut down on the annoyances but some kids got into it over the weekend and gave it a ransacking. Fortunately I don't leave anything of value in there. Any help would be appreciated.

My '99 Boxster (US, 2.5L, 5-speed) has some serious alarm issues. I have searched this forum high and low and have tried all the tips and suggestions for trouble shooting alarm systems. Is there any way to just disable the alarm system completely while I sort things out? I was leaving it unlocked in my driveway to cut down on the annoyances but some kids got into it over the weekend and gave it a ransacking. Fortunately I don't leave anything of value in there. Any help would be appreciated.

In the front trunk, remove the plastic battery cover. Remove the cover and disconnect the alarm horn. The horn is to the right of the battery. Then find an Indy and/or dealer with a PST2 Tool or Durametric software and check for alarm codes. I had a faulty infared sensor (fault code 33, I believe) that was located near the interior overhead light. It was very easy to replace. Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

In the front trunk, remove the plastic battery cover. Remove the cover and disconnect the alarm horn. The horn is to the right of the battery. Then find an Indy and/or dealer with a PST2 Tool or Durametric software and check for alarm codes. I had a faulty infared sensor (fault code 33, I believe) that was located near the interior overhead light. It was very easy to replace. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, K. The horn has been disconnected/faulty since I got the car. I had a buddy scan for error codes with a Durametric and got half a dozen faults. I'm planning on working my way through them but my schedule and budget are keeping me from it right now. I'm thinking that this is my car's way of telling me it doesn't like being parked ;-)

I combed through my Bentley manual in hopes I could find a fuse I could pull or something. The alarm fuse is paired up with something else important (can't recall what off hand) which has prevented me from pulling it altogether. It is also my understanding that if I pull the alarm control box I won't be able to start the car. I've read about devices that bypass factory alarms to enable installation of aftermarket alarm systems but I can't find anyone who has used one on a car like mine.

I combed through my Bentley manual in hopes I could find a fuse I could pull or something. The alarm fuse is paired up with something else important (can't recall what off hand) which has prevented me from pulling it altogether. It is also my understanding that if I pull the alarm control box I won't be able to start the car. I've read about devices that bypass factory alarms to enable installation of aftermarket alarm systems but I can't find anyone who has used one on a car like mine.

Robert:

DO NOT pull the central alarm control unit out from under the seat to get rid of your factory alarm. Your Boxster will be immobilized (won't start) and your windows will not longer go up and down.

While you are at it, make sure that there is no water under the seat or that your carpet under the seat is not saturated with water. If that alarm control unit get wet or the contacts inside of it start to corrode, it's going to get very expensive, very quickly.

Regards, Maurice.

DO NOT pull the central alarm control unit out from under the seat to get rid of your factory alarm. Your Boxster will be immobilized (won't start) and your windows will not longer go up and down.

While you are at it, make sure that there is no water under the seat or that your carpet under the seat is not saturated with water. If that alarm control unit get wet or the contacts inside of it start to corrode, it's going to get very expensive, very quickly.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks, Maurice. I had previously determined that pulling the control box was not a good idea. I do have water regularly under my passenger seat but the driver's side has stayed dry. I pulled the module a couple of months ago to check for corrosion and found it to be pristine. However, my keyless does not work which makes me suspicious that there is some other gremlin at work here.

Again, my desire is to bypass the factory alarm until I can get all of the potential faults sorted out.....

Thanks, Maurice. I had previously determined that pulling the control box was not a good idea. I do have water regularly under my passenger seat but the driver's side has stayed dry. I pulled the module a couple of months ago to check for corrosion and found it to be pristine. However, my keyless does not work which makes me suspicious that there is some other gremlin at work here.

Again, my desire is to bypass the factory alarm until I can get all of the potential faults sorted out.....

Robert:

For the "water regularly under my passenger seat" problem, the most common cause is a clogged drain on the passenger side in the convertible top well, directly below the V-lever of the top transmission.

Sometimes the cause will be a tear or rip in the foam liner that contains the hole for the drain.

Pour a quart of water into the hole and set a pan under the car, just inside the rear wheel, towards the front of it, and see if you catch a full quart of water. If you don't, then one of the two causes above has to be rectified.

Regards, Maurice.

For the "water regularly under my passenger seat" problem, the most common cause is a clogged drain on the passenger side in the convertible top well, directly below the V-lever of the top transmission.

Sometimes the cause will be a tear or rip in the foam liner that contains the hole for the drain.

Pour a quart of water into the hole and set a pan under the car, just inside the rear wheel, towards the front of it, and see if you catch a full quart of water. If you don't, then one of the two causes above has to be rectified.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks, Again! My drain lines are clear and I check them regularly (both front and rear). My suspicion is that the water under my passenger side seat is coming in under the door seal (very common with newer Volkswagens). My car has had body work on the passenger side and I'm afraid it wasn't put back together 100% correctly. Interestingly, I get no leaking if the car is parked nose up on a 5%-10% incline. My new driveway is basically flat. I've considered parking on my Rhino ramps but that seems kind of silly ;)