Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Catylitic Converter Failure at 70k miles?

I have a 2002 Carrera Coupe with the CEL on. I checked it with the Durametric and am told it is the left catalytic converter effeciency. I assume the only way the system can determine this is by comparing the 02 sensors before and after the cat. Is that correct. Since I don't *want* to believe the cat could be bad at only 70k miles, should I try new O2 sensors first? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

I just had mine both let go at 47K miles on an 02 C2, covered under federal emissions warranty.

I did however have some misfiring which was fixed under warranty by replacing the coil packs earlier in the year, which definitely would have contributed to their early demise.

My rule of thumb with cats is if they are making a lot of noise when warm (rattling/clattering) it's probably the cat, if there's no noise from the cat but you get a 420 or 430 P code it may be prudent to examine the O2 sensors for that bank, you can find the diagram by searching here to tell you which bank is which (I would tell you but I forget offhand)

Before doing anything though, if you have that code showing, look in your owner's manual under emissions warranty. It will detail the federal emissions warranty which covers cat replacement for your specific vehicle (it varies enough year to year and from what I hear state to state that you really need to examine this). Some are 7 years/70K and I've seen 8 years/80K as well. If you're covered, just take it in to the dealer and get your new cats, free.

• Admin
Loren,

Here you go...

Fault Number:P0430

Description:Porsche fault code 45 - Cat. conv. efficiency bank 2

Thanks for your assistance as always.

Mike

P0430 TWC Conversion, Bank 2 - Above Limit

Possible fault cause

- Oxygen sensor ahead of and after TWC exchanged

- Valve lift fault

- Aged oxygen sensor after TWC

- TWC faulty

Compare the sensor voltages side to side (bank 1 vs. the error'ed bank 2)

You will need a PST2 or PIWIS to test the valve lift.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Just wanted to thank those that replied with suggestions. In particular, I wanted to thank "htny" for the idea about the Federal warranty. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the cat for free after diagnosing the problem to thier satisfaction. I had about 10k miles to go before the warranty would have expired, but only 1 month...close call.

Thanks again all.

Mike

Update...

Just wanted to thank those that replied with suggestions. In particular, I wanted to thank "htny" for the idea about the Federal warranty. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the cat for free after diagnosing the problem to thier satisfaction. I had about 10k miles to go before the warranty would have expired, but only 1 month...close call.

Thanks again all.

Mike

Just in time! Glad that worked out. Did they replace both cats?

Update...

Thanks again all.

Mike

Just in time! Glad that worked out. Did they replace both cats?

No, they only replaced the failing cat (left bank). Thanks again for the tip.