Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing battery in 2004 S-is it a DIY job?

Hi folks,

starting to have a problem with a dead battery. every 3rd or 4th start....nothing....jump it and it's fine. before I start looking deeper, I figured it's a 5 year old vehicle with 60k miles, so start with something easy like replacing the battery....wow....I find out there is an auxiliary battery in the trunk, and under the section about replacing the battery it talks about having a pro do it...chance of voltage issues, etc.

now, I know with some things this is usually baloney, and just an excuse for the dealer to rip you with a $400 battery. But I saw no such verbiage in the manual when replacing the battery in my wife's 2002 Boxster S.

so, is changing the battery a DIY?

thanks very much...

There is no battery where you indicate

Primary battery is under drivers seat, if fitted, a secondary battery is under the sub woofer in the trunk (03/ early 04 only )

....wow....I find out there is an auxiliary battery in the trunk

???

I know of only one battery, the one up front just ahead of the windshield...

Also, isn't there a caveat about the radio and it's code?

• Admin

???

MY04 Cayenne.

Two batteries if no sound system and radio is MOST so no code.

???

MY04 Cayenne.

Two batteries if no sound system and radio is MOST so no code.

Sorry, my bad, I saw the 2004-S and from his description of the 'wife's Boxster-S' and assumed we were talking about it not the Cayenne... I'll go back to my dinner now. ;)

thanks folks,

final question. what about these "micro encapsulated seat bolts"? this is a new one on me. You must replace the seat retaining bolts on the driver's side when replacing the battery, according to the manual......really? C'mon.....

plus, I can't find anywhere in the specifications or in the battery section of the manual where it talks about cold cranking amps or the amp hour rating...anyone know?

OH, and one other question. the battery I got(Autocraft) does NOT have a venting outlet for the hose to hook to. Is that a big deal?

Edited by BoxyLady

thanks Loren,

so can you help me out with the amp hours? it's not listed on the battery at all(the new one). only the cold cranking amps at 32 degrees and at 0 degrees. I have found several formulas for deriving the amp hour rating, but there seem to be a lot of variables in getting the number: what end of cell voltage I am using, how long the dischrage period is, etc. seems very complicated for a car battery. For years all I ever had to worry about was how many CCA's does the vehicle require for cranking at a certain temp. and I was done!

also, should I be concerned about there not being a vent outlet on the new battery to reattach the venting hose to?

I'm starting to wonder if I need to take it to the Porsche dealer and pay them $400 for a battery replacement..... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The first time replacing the battery was a torture session. After having the right tool, aka "#10 triple square socket", it was a breeze. Carquest has most parts for the Cayenne, including the updated Bosch coils, that gave some of us fits. Their direct replacement battery (breather tube port style)part # is 93-72.