Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

small amounts of white smoke while driving

I was having an incredible drive through the mountains of N GA the other day. Top down, lots of twisties and hillls. All great until I see a few puffs of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Then it became a stream of white smoke that lasted about 3 seconds. Then all the smoke dissappeared. It happened one more time about 4 miles later and then I parked the car and haven't run it since. I searched and found it may be the AOS but am afraid that white smoke might be something worse.

Symptoms:

white smoke

medium suction on oil cap

no CEL

no noticable coolant loss

For the past few months I have heard kind of a whooshing-airy sound coming from the right side vent. I'm not sure if it's related.

The car is currently about 40 miles from a Porsche Independant and 60 from a dealer. :o

Does anyone have ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks

If it is anti-freeze, you should be able to smell that sweet smell at the tailpipe. I doubt that is the problem.

If the white smoke only during a full throttle run? (or close to full throttle?). Most cars will put out a puff of white or maybe black smoke just from stuff in the exhaust or cat converters when you get on the gas after a period of gentle driving.

but this would be small and hard to see from the drivers seat. If this was a BIG cloud, then it may be something else. Wish I could help more.

Don

Minor smoke is common during start up (and inconsistant) due to the design of flat engines...and intermitant white smoke can be the prelude to the ultra common failure of the AOS which is documented 1001 times here on this (and other) site. Some never get a warning others talk of what you state.

Of course it could be coolant but that is easy to determine if you coolant level has dropped and if so a coolant pressure test.

My money is on the AOS. Start searching!

AOS = Air Oil Separator.

My money is on the AOS. Start searching!

AOS = Air Oil Separator.

What he said. :)

I speak from experience. Search +AOS and you'll find lots of info. Without a lift, it's a pain to replace unless you have pixie-sized hands. If I had to do it again, I'd probably pay to have it done. Though I did one with a friend and it wasn't as bad the 2nd time.

Get it taken care of ASAP while it's intermittent. Read the information here, then check with your idependent. If don't like what you hear, call the dealer. It's a very common repair, usually occurring between 60 and 90k miles in my limited experience.

Keep us informed - and good luck!

Edited by LemmyCaution

Thanks for the quick replys. Yep, 71K on it so I guess I'm due. Based on what I had found here on renntech I was thinking AOS until I read someones post about white smoke being a probable head gasket so I got worried. I am really hoping that the AOS is my only issue.