Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

my new 2001 boxster

Hello to everyone on this forum...

I just got my 2001 cobalt blue 2.7 tiptronic Boxster that I ordered from the US.

The car has been in sea for 1 month, so I already predicted there would be some minor problems.

I will be taking it to a mechanic on Monday, but I thought I'd ask if there were any quick fixes for the following:

1) The rear spoiler doesn't go down (it was up when I got it).

2) The radio (6CD box) will not start, nothing is displayed on the LCD.

3) The remote lock key does not work: when I push on the lock/unlock in the key the red led is illuminated, but the car doesn't open/lock.

4) The turn signal blinker only works when I push it downwards (left blinker), it doesn't stay up when I push it upwards (right blinker).

5) Does anyone know whether I can switch the speedometer (the digital display) from MPH to km/h? Also the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

I will be uploading some pics soon.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Congrats on the Boxster!

Now, I'll try my hand at some answers:

#1 Spoiler: got me on that one maybe a fuse blew out?

#2 Again with the fuse theory.

#3 If the key un-locks the car in a normal fashion by using the key, either the battery is low or the key fob is bad.

#4 Blinker switch on stalk is damaged

#5 If you pull the on-board computer lever towards you (a couple of times?) it will let you scroll the options for the display.

Thank you Beelzy!

#3 If the key un-locks the car in a normal fashion by using the key, either the battery is low or the key fob is bad.

The key unlocks the car normally. Isn't it possible that the problem is with the receiver and not with the key fob?

Also I should have mentioned that when it came, the panel near the driver's seat was unscrewed (the cables/fuses were visible).

Thanks again

Salt air is about as corrosive as you can get above water. It can really reek havoc on electrical connections.

You might want to check all the related wire connections. pull connectors off and on a few times. The same for related fuses. They don’t need to look corroded to be “open”. Moving them in and out of there sockets kinda’ scratches the connections clean.

You could also have corroded contacts in the related relays. These can be cleaned to by popping the caps and running some fine sandpaper between the contacts. Then blow them out (this is sort of a a no-no but it always works for me*).

Regards, PK

*Put it this way, in 9 years I never bought a relay and never fixed one twice. I've had more than my share of electrical problems

Edited by pk2

Updates:

Spoiler is working.

I have checked the fuses, specifically the D8 one which is supposed to be responsible for the radio, but it looks fine. I tried cleaning them like PK suggested, but the radio still won't start.

Today I took the car to get my rear wheel changed, but to my surpise there was an anti theft lock on the wheels and I couldn't find any key inside the car.

I really appreciate your replies everyone...