Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM error: cannot read DVD

Hi,

I wan't to update my PCM, but the system keeps on saying: cannot read DVD. To be honest, I just got the car (4s, 2006) and there was no navigation DVD included. The PCM also needs a software update because I need to do PBS 9112 (PCM overheating error). My dealer wants to replace my complete PCM, but I think that an update would do the trick. Not quite sure whether my navigation DVD drive is broken, but I have not been able to read any DVD yet (10/2004 or 10/2007). I have an carrera 2s (feb 2005) as well, so I can run a few tests. Would like to have advice on what would be the best way to go further. I could:

1. put the DVD 10.2007 (which I wanted to use for the software upgrade) in my 2005 2s. I am not quite sure whether this would automatically lead to a software upgrade or does it give a warning first? If it gives a warning first, then this would be the easiest test. If the DVD works in my 2s, then there must be something wrong with the DVD reader? (or software??). I can't honestly believe that the DVD reader would be broken, this car is nearly new (3000 miles on it). Any test I can do in order the test the DVD reader.

2. If I can't use the new DVD in my 2s, can I then switch the working DVD reader from my 2s to my 4s? I think that the PCM of my 2s is the ''old DVD based'' one, where the 4s has the after 5/2005 version. Would this lead to problems?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Ok,

If your car is a 2006 model it should originally have been supplied with at least version 08.2005 Map DVD , assuming the PCM and navigation are both factory fit , the PCM should have been supplied with software version 3 level B firmware. This means that any early 2004 Map DVD will not be recognised by the DVD drive as it is an early version. You can check the software levels of the PCM and Navigation drive by accessing aservice menu . To do this press MAIN and TRIP buttons together. The 10.2007 map DVD requires the PCM and navigation to be updated to the latest software. Your PCM should already be at the correct level , but the navigation drive probably requires an update. Send me a PM and I can expalin more and give you some help on this.

• 1 month later...

I think I have a related problem. I recently bought an '06 911S and the navigation system isn't working. It says the DVD is not readable. The disk that came with the car has an 04.05 date printed on the left side of the disk. The local dealer said that this was not the correct disk. I would like a second opinion before I go down the path to get a correct disk. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

I think I have a related problem. I recently bought an '06 911S and the navigation system isn't working. It says the DVD is not readable. The disk that came with the car has an 04.05 date printed on the left side of the disk. The local dealer said that this was not the correct disk. I would like a second opinion before I go down the path to get a correct disk. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

From the recent threads, it appears to me that you guys are spending way too much time looking at your "tv" set! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Joe

What software version is your PCM, this is allow us to tell you what version nav dvd you need.

What software version is your PCM, this is allow us to tell you what version nav dvd you need.

Forgive me, but I am new to the Porsche world. How do I go about determining the software version of the of the PCM. Seems as though I remember something about pushing several buttons on the PCM, but I don't recall exactly.

Thanks,

Joe

As per the PM you sent me and my reply , you press the MAIN and TRIP buttons on the PCM front panel at the same time. This displays a service menu with a software version on the top of the screen. Under the top banner will be displayed the components of your system such as PCM , SYSTEM, AMP , TEL , and NAVIGATION. You may not have all of these options on your car but the PCM SYSTEM and NAV software versions are the most important to understanding your problem. If you use the Right hand rotary knob to select each component and then press the knob to select , it will display a software version. These are the numbers that you need to write down and post back to the forum. After you have collected the information you can return to the normal menu by pressing any of the main menu buttons on the PCM. The service menu does not allow you to change anything, so its perfectly safe to navigate yourself. If you look at one of the other navigation threads on this forum there are posts including pictures of the screen displays you are likely to see.

Edited by berty987

As per the PM you sent me and my reply , you press the MAIN and TRIP buttons on the PCM front panel at the same time. This displays a service menu with a software version on the top of the screen. Under the top banner will be displayed the components of your system such as PCM , SYSTEM, AMP , TEL , and NAVIGATION. You may not have all of these options on your car but the PCM SYSTEM and NAV software versions are the most important to understanding your problem. If you use the Right hand rotary knob to select each component and then press the knob to select , it will display a software version. These are the numbers that you need to write down and post back to the forum. After you have collected the information you can return to the normal menu by pressing any of the main menu buttons on the PCM. The service menu does not allow you to change anything, so its perfectly safe to navigate yourself. If you look at one of the other navigation threads on this forum there are posts including pictures of the screen displays you are likely to see.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I am a little gun shy with the car since it is new and more importantly, it is the wife's car and she would kill me if I messed something up.

Joe

Here are all the software versions and information from Navigation Disk:

Unit: PCM

Target: 05024ED1/4705

Actual: 05024ED1/4705

Entered: Yes

Found: Yes

Unit: Navigation System

Target: This line was blank

Actual: 00179412/5004

Entered: Yes

Found: Yes

The Navigation Disk has the following information printed on it:

The numbers on the left of the DVD are 04.05. The top number on the right side is 997.642.257.02 and the number below it is 7L5.919.859.AC.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Joe

If the car was purchased in Europe from a Porsche agent , I would expect a 1 year extended warranty to have been provided at the time of sale. The European warranty is typically two years whereas the North American one is 3 years I beleive.

Regarding the software levels of the PCM , the 05024xxx prescribes your vehicle as having level B software , this also matches with the manufacturing year of the car. The DVD navigation system is running the correct MAP DVD for the year and level of navigation software also.

I assume that the MAP DVD is genuine and has Harman Becker printed on the outer perimeter of the label and Navteq .

A procedure does exist to reset the navigation drive, I would suggest that if ejecting the navigation DVD cleaning the disc with a soft cloth and and using a DVD lens cleaner in the DVD drive does not work , you may want to ask your dealer to try the reset prodcdure first. I see no reason why you need to pay to update the map DVD unless you require a newer map. The map DVD goes into the navigation drive with the label facing upwards, this is another thing to check if you are unfamiliar with this unit. Certainly the MAP date version or PCM software level is not the cause of your problem.

Edited by berty987

Cars under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it .

Might not be under warranty . . . . It's a European location and they have different warranty terms then we have in the US.

OOPS ! My bad. I'm sure you're correct. I got 4 years with my '07 and thought that was standard for Porsches in the states, passing on to the new owner when the car was sold. I missed the Netherlands address altogether. :o

Thanks for all the feedback. I originally addressed this issue with the local Porsche dealer in South Carolina and they said it was not the correct disk. I wanted to make sure I had all my facts correct before talking to them again. I will post the outcome once it is fixed.