Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key Remote Control Batteries CR 2032

I recently had the need to purchase new CR 2032 Litium batteries for the remote controls on the key, and had to settle for Kodak brand.

Much to my amazement they started to lose their 'punch' after only about a week, and actually would not activate or de-activate the alarm, with very annoying results.

I suppose Duracell are the best, or what else?.

Anyone had any similar exerience with short life lithium cells in the keys ?

• Moderators

I have a 1997 and the remote I use every day still has the original battery. I will have to find the other remote and see if it still works since it has been sitting unused for 5 years.

They say Japanese made batteries for electronic devices are better.

• Admin

Here is the info from TSB 17/03 9662 Replacing The Key Remote Control Battery (dated 6-25-2004).

This procedure is for the Boxster, Carrera and TT.

Porsche battery part number: 999 611 108 00 Battery For Key Remote

Tools: Flat Screwdriver (small)

Failure of remote control due to replacing battery improperly.

Replacing the battery improperly can cause the processor in the remote control to operate incorrectly so that the remote control no longer functions. For this reason, please inform your customers who purchase a battery for their remote control to not replace the battery themselves.

Replace the battery for the customer as described in the following work procedure to avoid a malfunction of the processor and thus a remote control failure.

- Work Procedure page 2, Step 1, "Replacing the remote-control battery"

After replacing the battery, check if the remote control functions. If the remote control does not function, the processor could have stopped. If this is the case, the LED of the remote control either does not light when the button is pressed or it lights continuously, i.e., longer than length of time the button is pressed. The processor must be restarted.

- Work Procedure page 3, Step 2, "Restarting the processor"

The newly printed editions of the vehicle Owner's Manuals will contain a note that the battery for the remote control should be changed by the Porsche dealer.

1. Replacing the remote-control battery.

1.1 Take a new battery out of the package and set it aside.

1.2 Removing the battery.

Caution!

Damage to the processor due to voltage drops or voltage peaks!

Do not press any button of the remote control directly before replacing the battery and during the replacement.

1.2.1 Carefully lift off the cover of the key head with a finger

nail or a small screwdriver.

1.2.2 Unclip battery on the recess of the top of the battery

(Figure 1) arrow 1) with a finger nail upwards out of

the holder.

1.2.3 Pullout battery from the tab (Figure 1, arrow 2).

key.gif

1.3 Installing a new battery.

Caution!

Damage to the processor due to voltage drops or voltage peaks!

When installing the battery, do not press any button on the remote control and avoid repeated contact betvveen battery and contact pins.

1.3.1 Slide new battery with the positive terminal upwards under the tab (Figure 1) arrow 2).

1.3.2 Clip new battery downward into the holder.

1.3.3 Put the cover on the key head.

1.3.4 Press together the key head and cover tightly until the cover engages audibly.

1.4 Check the function of the remote control.

Note:

If the remote control does not function after replacing the battery, the processor could have stopped. If this is the case, the LED of the remote control either does not light when the button is pressed or it lights continuously, i.e., longer than length of time the button is pressed. The processor must be restarted. In this case, proceed as is described under Step 2.

2. Restarting the processor.

2.1 Remove battery as described under Step 1.2.

2.2 Inserting battery briefly with polarity reversed.

2.2.1 After a waiting time of at least 10 seconds, slide battery with the polarity of the battery reversed (positive terminal downwards) under the tab (Figure 1, arrow 2).

2.2.2 Clip battery downward into the holder.

2.2.3 After a waiting time of approx. 3 seconds, remove this incorrectly polarized battery again.

2.3 Install battery as described under Step 1.3.

2.4 Check the function of the remote control.