Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where to find a cup that fits the 2003 cup holder?

When I bought my 2003 Boxster S last October, I was kidding my wife that I need to upgrade my old Triumph with a car that was made after cup holders were invented (air bags are nice too). Now she has a laugh about the Boxster because I can't find a cup that will actually stay in the larger of the two cup holders. At first I didn't realize that they were different sizes and then going around a corner my cup went tumbling out onto her legs - luckily for me it was pretty much empty.

Why the heck Porsche would make such a crappy cup holder and go the extra mile to make sure they make one of them so big it won't actually hang onto a cup is beyond me. So my question is, has anyone found a cup that will actually stay in the larger holder on an 03 Boxster?

Dave S.

When I bought my 2003 Boxster S last October, I was kidding my wife that I need to upgrade my old Triumph with a car that was made after cup holders were invented (air bags are nice too). Now she has a laugh about the Boxster because I can't find a cup that will actually stay in the larger of the two cup holders. At first I didn't realize that they were different sizes and then going around a corner my cup went tumbling out onto her legs - luckily for me it was pretty much empty.

Why the heck Porsche would make such a crappy cup holder and go the extra mile to make sure they make one of them so big it won't actually hang onto a cup is beyond me. So my question is, has anyone found a cup that will actually stay in the larger holder on an 03 Boxster?

Dave S.

Well Dave this won't necessarily help you but I had no cupholder on my 996. So I initially built a custom holder out of fiberglass. I didn't quite finish it (was going to cover it with leather but decided to try something else). I found that Suncoast Porsche sells a two cup holder to fit into the center console glove box. However, you have to leave the lid open to use it. I decided to cut a round hole right through the top of the glove box lid. Works great although you do have to kind of get used to reaching sort of behind you for the drink. It is also just out of the way of my right elbow. I don't have a picture but something you might consider.

post-20662-1229048816_thumb.jpg

Dude!

It sounds like you got the "gangster" cupholder, and it is to accomodate your 40.

Or, you never know what the German engineers are thinking, maybe it was around lunch time and

it is meant to be a Cup'o'Noodles holder. :P

I only have one, so it could be worse. ;)

Edited by Beelzy

My '99 didn't come w/ any and most people complain about the OEM ones or remove them (to add a second cubby slot and move the HVAC unit up). Anyhow, there are a # of aftermkt options. My personal favorite, though a little pricey, are www.ultimatecupholders.com

3103650444_888d349eab.jpg

In fact, in the offseason while my Boxster hibernates, I move at least one of them over to my SUV.

Thanks for the replys. The ultimate cupholder looks like it would work, but it is kind of pricey. I may take Cassie's advice and buy a couple. I figured that Porsche offered a special cup to fit their "special" cup holder size. Of course it would probably cost as much anyway ;-). One nice thing about the factory cup holder in the 03 model, is that the dash vents blow right onto your cup.

On a cold day a while ago, I had the top down and the heat cranking and it kept the cup so hot that you couldn't touch the metal parts of it. Kind of a neat feature to keep your coffee warm.

Dave S.

I've got the ultimate's and they're great. I was talking to a guy with a Cayman and he commented on the Ultimate's and was dissapointed with the cup holders in the Cayman. Evidently, when he has a cup in them and goes around a left turn, they cup holder swings to the right.

The other thing about the Ultimate's is that if something does spill, it's right there on the floor, not on the center console or someones leg.

Jim

Dave S.

For what it's worth, I remember reading that when the Germans were told that US cars needed cup holders they were appalled. Seems their philosophy is driving is something you do for the sake of driving. That you would distract yourself with eating & drinking was foolish. It shows in their lack of effort regarding cup holder design.

Yeah, imagine that you would have to actually pay attention to driving while drinking your Starbucks, talking on the cell phone and applying makeup. I'm glad the domestic auto makers have that all figured out; it really shows in their profitability.

I like the three way vanity mirrors that come standard on Escalades.

Do I sound cynical?....nah!

Dave S.

For what it's worth, I remember reading that when the Germans were told that US cars needed cup holders they were appalled. Seems their philosophy is driving is something you do for the sake of driving. That you would distract yourself with eating & drinking was foolish. It shows in their lack of effort regarding cup holder design.

I've heard the same story. It is a similar situation with BMW although I think they may have caved into including factory cup holders earlier than Porsche did. I don't know if you've driven an early to mid 90s BMW but the cup holders that are there are HORRIBLE. Thin little pieces of plastic that barely hold the cup near its base. I'm pretty sure the German engineers understood the importance of a low center of gravity...It is almost like they design these things to spill the drinks on those who are stupid enough to use them.

Edited by RaisedOnPorsches