Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Another one bites the dust

I am in mourning. My 99 C2 996 bit the dust this week. After 2 years of dependable service (water pump excluded) I got a coolant warning light. Opened up the rear to find thick pancake batter in the coolant tank and the same in the oil filler tube. After a few choice words and "the look" from the wife, I assume this engine has had catastrophic failure (also know as "giving up the ghost"). It has become a shrine in the garage as I dont have the 10 -12K at this point to get a new engine.

Question - should I do anything to the car at present? No one has even looked at it yet, or can I just let it sit on jack stands for extended months for me to sell one of my children to fund my new engine?

P.S. I just put four new Michelin PS2's on the **** thing!

Have a few friends with 996's, and I have warned them they may wake up soon sans engine!

Porscheless in Texas

Too bad! I feel your pain; I had to replace my engine because of the intermix problem. However it’s not uncommon to get the “Mayonnaise” in the oil filler tube. I would suggest you drain the oil to be sure. Good luck.

I am in mourning. My 99 C2 996 bit the dust this week. After 2 years of dependable service (water pump excluded) I got a coolant warning light. Opened up the rear to find thick pancake batter in the coolant tank and the same in the oil filler tube. After a few choice words and "the look" from the wife, I assume this engine has had catastrophic failure (also know as "giving up the ghost"). It has become a shrine in the garage as I dont have the 10 -12K at this point to get a new engine.

Question - should I do anything to the car at present? No one has even looked at it yet, or can I just let it sit on jack stands for extended months for me to sell one of my children to fund my new engine?

P.S. I just put four new Michelin PS2's on the **** thing!

Have a few friends with 996's, and I have warned them they may wake up soon sans engine!

Porscheless in Texas

Sorry for your apparent loss. How much mileage on the 996?

Regards, Maurice.

Forgot to add. 99 C2 996 with 76K on the clock. Would be interested if anyone experienced same problem without fatal engine result.

My early US '99 C2 996 tip (Feb-98 build date) lost its engine three years ago at 42K miles due to case going porous causing oil & coolant to intermix, a somewhat common early 996 problem. Lucky for me, I bought the car with an extended warranty. Otherwise, it would have cost me $US12K. Since then, 20K miles later, only routine maintenance except for sensors, lower control arms and minor interior stuff.

It's great to see that some 996 engines go a long time with no RMS or catastrophic failures.

My current problem appears to be a sticky Idle Control Valve. Not a big issue to sort out (fingers firmly crossed) thanks to this great site. :renntech: