Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fault code help with 04 CTT?

Okay, just picked up a 2004 Cayenne TT and used my durametric software to check it out...came up with P0021 and P0351 for the DME and 470 for the Instrument Cluster. I cleared them and they did not come back right away. Just wanted to see what these were and what could be wrong. Also, I sometimes get a Air Suspension warning when I start the car but it seems to be okay and I did not see any other fault codes listed for any other modules other than the above. Is that a big deal?

David

• Admin

P0021 Inlet Camshaft Position in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 2 - Above/Below Limit

Possible cause of fault

- Timing set incorrectly

- Chain extended

- Camshaft adjuster loose

- Rotor of inlet camshaft sensor in incorrect position

- Inlet camshaft sensor not installed correctly

P0351 Bar ignition module on cylinder 1

Possible cause of fault

The wiring might contain the following faults:

- Open circuit in signal wire

- Short circuit to B+ in signal wire

- Short circuit to ground in signal wire

- Short circuit to B+ in ground lead

- Open circuit in ground lead

- Open circuit in power supply line

- Short circuit to ground in power supply line

- Incorrect assignment of ground lead and positive lead

Check the ignition coils on each cylinder - these changed (because of problems) on a TSB. If your car has no warranty then you will have to pay for them.

The correct new part number is: 948.602.104.05 -- US MSRP $18.21 each

Fault code 0470 CAN comfort in single-wire operation

Possible cause of fault

- Open circuit in CAN comfort (high)

- Open circuit in CAN comfort (low)

- Electrical fault on CAN comfort

Thanks Loren, I am waiting to see if the codes come back at this point since it seems to drive nice. I do know about the coil packs and will probably just replace them all for piece of mind (not much money and worth doing with the spark plugs anyways).

Not sure on the CAN issue, what would be a symptom of an issue based on that code?

Thankfully, I did get an extended warranty on this when I bought it just in case. :)

David

P0021 Inlet Camshaft Position in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 2 - Above/Below Limit

Possible cause of fault

- Timing set incorrectly

- Chain extended

- Camshaft adjuster loose

- Rotor of inlet camshaft sensor in incorrect position

- Inlet camshaft sensor not installed correctly

P0351 Bar ignition module on cylinder 1

Possible cause of fault

The wiring might contain the following faults:

- Open circuit in signal wire

- Short circuit to B+ in signal wire

- Short circuit to ground in signal wire

- Short circuit to B+ in ground lead

- Open circuit in ground lead

- Open circuit in power supply line

- Short circuit to ground in power supply line

- Incorrect assignment of ground lead and positive lead

Check the ignition coils on each cylinder - these changed (because of problems) on a TSB. If your car has no warranty then you will have to pay for them.

The correct new part number is: 948.602.104.05 -- US MSRP $18.21 each

Fault code 0470 CAN comfort in single-wire operation

Possible cause of fault

- Open circuit in CAN comfort (high)

- Open circuit in CAN comfort (low)

- Electrical fault on CAN comfort

Well, good news and bad news... most of the codes did not come back but the P0021 did. What would be a good next step in dealing with that code? How serious is it?

David

See if the CAN fault comes back - could be someone disconnected something during service then reconnected and forgot to clear the fault.

• Moderators

Camshaft position in relation with crankshaft: this fault is common and is caused by a little extension of the timing chain, which is very long, and a small tolerance in timing. It is possible to move the camshafts independent to the crankshaft to reach the timing specifications again, however after checking for any wear on the chain, rails, tensioner, etc. Not a DIY job IMHO.

Thanks guys, will have this checked on my next service!

By the way, why would I get a air suspension faulty workshop message on startup but find not codes with my durametric software? :(

I had the suspension message with my 2003 CTT on start up, along with some other messages.

The main battery hadn't been changed since the car was new.

After replacing the main battery, all has been fine with no messages.

Could be worthwhile looking at the battery.

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys ... i have the same code fault P0021 and my car won't start ... do you know what should i do

OBD code reader read the code like intake camschaft position timing over advanced(bank 2)

don't know what to do it's too cold here in my place like -38 degre C so

if you guys have an advice or ... i have the dealer for about 4h to 5h from where i am now

car is porsche cayenne S 2004

See above

"Camshaft position in relation with crankshaft: this fault is common and is caused by a little extension of the timing chain, which is very long, and a small tolerance in timing. It is possible to move the camshafts independent to the crankshaft to reach the timing specifications again, however after checking for any wear on the chain, rails, tensioner, etc. Not a DIY job IMHO."

that response is from a Porsche tech

hi guys ... i have the same code fault P0021 and my car won't start ... do you know what should i do

OBD code reader read the code like intake camschaft position timing over advanced(bank 2)

don't know what to do it's too cold here in my place like -38 degre C so

if you guys have an advice or ... i have the dealer for about 4h to 5h from where i am now

car is porsche cayenne S 2004

ok

thanks guys

do you think it might be the battery as it never been changed too...

i don't know but where i am now is cold like -36 degre celcius so all the problem start from there i guess just didn't start the car for about 20hrs and now nothing no crank nothing

i was a little bit scared if that problem of P0021 was the issue that don't make it started ... but i don't know... do you know guys what else should i check ... cause when i try to start it too it shows all the fault like sometimes it says not enough oil pressure sometimes it says abs fault,... airbag fault , but the most who always come back is the not enough oil pressure

i'm about 4 to 5hrs from the nearest dealer so ,.. nobody won't touch a porsche here

thanks guys for your help

IPorsche,

When you go to crank the engine and nothing happens, does the instrument display go blank as well?

Mine had the faulty main battery. I had the display showing when I selected ignition on with all the fault messages, but the display would go blank as soon as I tried to crank the starter and nothing would happen.

Also does your model have the 2nd dedicated rear mounted auxillary battery fitted for the starter?

Edited by bigbuzuki

If you have a multimeter, check the battery. If it reads less than 12.4 volts, you'll probably have trouble starting the car and may need to be replaced.

Severe cold and heat can be hell on batteries.

If you swap it out, start the car and check your voltage again. A correctly charging system should read at least 13.5 volts.

ok

thanks guys

do you think it might be the battery as it never been changed too...

i don't know but where i am now is cold like -36 degre celcius so all the problem start from there i guess just didn't start the car for about 20hrs and now nothing no crank nothing

i was a little bit scared if that problem of P0021 was the issue that don't make it started ... but i don't know... do you know guys what else should i check ... cause when i try to start it too it shows all the fault like sometimes it says not enough oil pressure sometimes it says abs fault,... airbag fault , but the most who always come back is the not enough oil pressure

i'm about 4 to 5hrs from the nearest dealer so ,.. nobody won't touch a porsche here

thanks guys for your help

It does sound like you have a battery problem. Where are you located??