Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suggestions for wash/wax products

Hi, everyone. I hope you can help advise me. I don't know whether I have clearcoat or not, but wish to keep my new (to me) '05 Midnight Blue metallic Boxster looking great. I live in South Carolina where the weather is usually pretty moderate. I am wondering specifically if you could recommend a particular brand/product for waxing the car and for washing it. Also, any advice on caring for other cosmetic things like the wheels, the soft top, the hard top, the interior, that would be wonderful. I have had it for a couple of weeks now and want to keep it looking great. Also, any thoughts on the invisible bra thing and where I might obtain it in Columbia, SC? My dealer, when I was in for some campaign items to be fixed, just showed me a regular vinyl-looking bra like those from the 80s and that was not attractive. Thanks in advance for any help here - the more specific and thorough the better! I like to take care of things and have peace of mind that I've done what I can to keep it nice. I look forward to learning from your experiences - this is an awesome forum!

Laura :renntech:

Asking a car enthusiast about the car care products they use is like asking them their religion, political party and sexual preferences all at the same time. There are people who are really really passionate about their waxes, car washes, polishes, fillers, glazes and the tools to apply and remove them.

I think the thing to decide is how much time you are willing to spend on waxing washing etc. And how often you plan to do it.

If you have a lot of time on your hands and enjoy caressing your baby as if it were a sexual icon then you can listen to the polishing pundits that lerk on this and other boards. They will recommend a regimen of polishing gels, micro scratch removing cremes, lighteners, darkeners, mirror glazes, hypo-allergenic polishing mits, Porsche approved booties, free-range shammies, etc that will cost more than Madonna's medicine cabinet and will require a linguist to translate the instructions from the original Sanskrit.

But if you want your car to look nice but are not obssessed then I would suggest Mothers products. They are reasonably priced, are easy to apply and remove and smell nice when you use them.

There are two invisible bra products on the market.From what I can gather they are equally good: 3M http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...Find_Installer/ and XPel http://www.xpel.com/ They will cost $1000+ for full frontal coverage installed. I like mine, bugs just wash off stones do not chip the paint and the film is self healing. They are not perfect however. Debris can penetrate the film (infrequently).

YMMV

Alan

Edited by renzop

Laura,

I mostly use Meguiars, they ship quickly and a lot of their products can be purchased at Pep Boys.

For washing if the car is just dusty I just use water, otherwise I use NXT Generation Car Wash:

p84713b.jpg

Before a wax job I use the 'Smooth Surface Clay Kit', it makes the metal as smooth as glass!

p84694b.jpg

The 'cleaner wax' is easy to use and does a great job:

p84686b.jpg

To get rid of small scratches, bird stains, etc. the Scratch X is great:

p84695b.jpg

In-between waxing, after a good wash I use the Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale:

z-8.jpg

Stoner Invisible Glass is the BEST thing for glass (many thanks to Loren for the tip ;)) :

sto91164003.jpg

Raggtopp is highly recommended for the soft top:

Raggtopp%20Fabric%20Kit%20lr.jpg

For the plastic rear window I use Mirror Glaze Cleaner and polish (2 sep. bottles):

p84852b.jpgp84847b.jpg

Besides Meguiars I am a big fan of the Klasse cleaner wax and sealant glaze, They're easy to use and give an excellent shine:

414MFR15AQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg41HG0MBQW7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They both can be applied by hand, I use the the Porter Cable 7424 for the wax, and hand apply the glaze.

Of course everyone has their favorites, these are ones I use and am happy with.

Alex

Edited by londoner06

I love the following products:

1) Zaino for the car (www.zainobros.com)- soap and wax

2) Soffener for the leather (www.colorplus.com)

3) Ragg Topp for the convert.

4) ReJex wax for the wheels

5) I clean my windows with 1 part denatured alcohol and 2 parts distilled water

6) Vinlyex for the tires

7) No clear bra...just don't tail-gate the stuff in front of you

8) No wheel cleaner- when using ReJex wax, soapy water (Z7) is all you ever need, the dirt just flys off

9) High quality towels

10) Wash the car in 3 stages; wheels only, lower half, final wash. Don't use the same rags or buckets or water

11) Dry you cars and wheels with a leaf blower (make sure your driveway is clear first)

Midnight Blue is a great color...just hard to take care of (like a black car).

Perfect help, Alan - thanks! I like the idea of the Mothers products and the invisible bra. I appreciate your extremely coherent and comprehensive assessment. Makes things easy! :clapping:

Asking a car enthusiast about the car care products they use is like asking them their religion, political party and sexual preferences all at the same time. There are people who are really really passionate about their waxes, car washes, polishes, fillers, glazes and the tools to apply and remove them.

I think the thing to decide is how much time you are willing to spend on waxing washing etc. And how often you plan to do it.

If you have a lot of time on your hands and enjoy caressing your baby as if it were a sexual icon then you can listen to the polishing pundits that lerk on this and other boards. They will recommend a regimen of polishing gels, micro scratch removing cremes, lighteners, darkeners, mirror glazes, hypo-allergenic polishing mits, Porsche approved booties, free-range shammies, etc that will cost more than Madonna's medicine cabinet and will require a linguist to translate the instructions from the original Sanskrit.

But if you want your car to look nice but are not obssessed then I would suggest Mothers products. They are reasonably priced, are easy to apply and remove and smell nice when you use them.

There are two invisible bra products on the market.From what I can gather they are equally good: 3M http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...Find_Installer/ and XPel http://www.xpel.com/ They will cost $1000+ for full frontal coverage installed. I like mine, bugs just wash off stones do not chip the paint and the film is self healing. They are not perfect however. Debris can penetrate the film (infrequently).

YMMV

Alan

+1 for Zaino. I found Z-5 was great on my Ocean Blue C2, but use the All-in-one now. A little goes a long, long, way, and don't be tempted to over-apply. I round off with Grand Finale spray to give it a really slick finish. The other product I would recommend from them is Leather-in-a-Bottle. Makes it feel and smell like a new car.

As Alan says, it's like a religion!

+1 for Zaino... I round off with Grand Finale spray to give it a really slick finish.

Hiya Richard, I am ordering a bottle of the Z-8 Grand Finale™ Spray Seal, it sounds like a great product, maybe even better than Quik Detailer. A bottle of Quik Detailer came with my Meguiars Clay Kit, it is part of the process. Have you tried clay bars? They really make the finish slick, you can see on the bar all the crud it removes.

I assume when you say All-in-One you are referring to Klasse. I have been using it for 20 years, so easy to use and gives such good results.

Cheers,

Alex

I see, I guess Klasse did not register the term 'all-in-one' :D

Since I already seem to have about 30 products in my cupboard, I'll stick to Klasse for now. I did order the Grand Finale just now.

Sig.gif

Edited by londoner06