Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A Star in the Making

Here is my ongoing photo essay of my project to resurrect a 2000 Boxster S.

I purchased "Star" over the summer with the initial plan to turn it electric.

But the electrification was going to be way too expensive -- so I turned to rebuilding

the engine. We hope to have it back on the road in the next few weeks.....

If you like engine tear downs and rebuilds -- I hope you find these pictures interesting.

Also includes photos of the improved IMS from LnEngineering.

I have to thank Jeff at Sunset for the tons of discounted parts and ease of ordering.

A Star in the Making

enjoy,

Mike

post-34429-1231097075_thumb.jpg

Great photos and very interesting to see, make sure you post a movie clip of the start up. Looks like a clean motor apart from the water pump catastrophie, moral is - when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree - STOP!

I never got any CEL or any other warning before my engine failed. Although my water pump shaft didn't shear off it was the cause of the failure. Got no CEL or overheating warning. I wish I would have :huh:

Very cool...I very much enjoyed looking at the internals of the mysterious M96. Only problem is I don't know what I'm looking at half the time, as I've never taken one of these apart. As far as I know, there are no rebuilding books available like there are for air cooled? I know Charles and Jake Raby hope to develop a rebuilding guide as part of their flat6 program.

Very interesting write up. Thank you for sharing. So the freeze plug let go internally during an overheat condition?? I would not have expected that. Totally repairable. I have been getting a little intermittent grinding noise from the front of my motor lately (77k miles). Sounds like a water pump bearing. Time to take a closer look. :o

It looks like you have done this sort of work before. Did you use a service manual for the tear down or just take lots of pictures and wing it? I have been inside many Chevy/Toyota/Nissan motors but the M96 looks so...German. Any surprises along the way? What did you figure your costs would be for an electric motor conversion?

Edited by Topless

Very interesting write up. Thank you for sharing. So the freeze plug let go internally during an overheat condition?? I would not have expected that. Totally repairable. I have been getting a little intermittent grinding noise from the front of my motor lately (77k miles). Sounds like a water pump bearing. Time to take a closer look. :o

It looks like you have done this sort of work before. Did you use a service manual for the tear down or just take lots of pictures and wing it? I have been inside many Chevy/Toyota/Nissan motors but the M96 looks so...German. Any surprises along the way? What did you figure your costs would be for an electric motor conversion?

My first time tearing anything down -- I'm the lackey is this duo -- Danny (in green) had rebuilt six 911 air cooled engines -- this is his first M96.

He took a lot of pictures, I bought a CD of the shop manuals from a guy on this board. Watched all the www.986fix.com videos.

Bought some of the special tools, Danny made the others.

I engineered what we would do when we found what -- found/ordered all the parts. Now I mostly clean any parts we are redoing and torque a few bolts :-)

But my eyes and ears are wide open! Picking anything up I can incase I decide to do this again some time.

Mike